Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think this is hypocritical(caffeine vs smoking) and what should I say?

(19 Posts)
blueemerald Sun 11-Jan-15 16:29:41

I'm a secondary teacher and I currently work in a school for boys with social, emotional and behavioural difficulties. Teaching is a pretty full on job and teaching in an EBD school is another level. It's exhausting (although I do love it).

I don't like coffee. Never have. I have tried multiple times to "train" myself to like it but frankly life is too short. I drink at least one can of sugar free red bull a day (2 on a bad day, never more). For the sake of full disclosure I am a short (5'2) size 10.

My AIBU centres around people who I know smoke preaching to me about the evils of highly caffinated drinks. It happens about once a week most of the year but really picks up in January. We have been back at school for 3 days and I've had 5 suggestions that I should give up the red bull and 4 were from smokers. I would never be so rude as to suggest someone should give up smoking for new year.

AIBU to think:
a) I know these drinks are not good for you, I'm not an idiot.
b) Smoking is just as bad for you, if not worse.
c) Mind your own business!

We are a very small staff team (around 20 teaching staff members) so I can't tell these people to piss off but any suggestions for what to do/say? At the moment I smile weakly, nod politely and change the subject.

Jelliebabe2 Sun 11-Jan-15 16:32:38

Just point out its better to have your caffeinated drink than to smoke and leave it at that! Yanbu it's quite rude if people to point thing PS out like that when they have their own foibles/faults!

OhShittingHenry Sun 11-Jan-15 16:37:00

Just say "You're right! Let's give up our weaknesses together! When shall we start?"

I expect that will shut them right the fuck up!

KurriKurri Sun 11-Jan-15 16:37:13

Sounds like you are copping the backlash from those who have failed or are struggling in their New years Resolution to give up smoking grin

I would ignore - it is none of their business what you drink (although Red Bull tastes like cough medicine to me so YABU on that front grin)

Frusso Sun 11-Jan-15 16:43:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZingTheGreat Sun 11-Jan-15 16:49:21

just answer : "but Red Bull gives me wiiiings!"

sashh Sun 11-Jan-15 16:55:43

The only time I have suggested someone may want to rethink energy drinks was a student with SNs whose aggression was made worse by energy drinks and he had walked in to class with 7 cans.

And even then it was only my business because he could be disruptive to others

According to a Red Bull, one can of their drink contains about the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee, so a couple of those a day hardly seems excessive to me.

It does sound a bit hypocritical to me!

wheresthelight Sun 11-Jan-15 17:02:51

they are being very rude!!

I once told my mum o would diet when she gave up smoking after years of her nit picking about my weight. it did not go down well.

the only time I have ever commented on red bull consumption was a friend who Breast fed and would drink a full crate every week and then whinge that her dd never slept. I had tried subtly to hint that the excessive caffeine was the issue to no avail so after about 3 months of her daily whinging I did tell her outright about the fact that caffeine passes into her milk and therefore she was Stuffing her dd full of it so no wonder she wouldn't sleep.

she still carried on and whinging so I have distanced myself as I can't be arsed with people who won't help themselves

PurpleSwift Sun 11-Jan-15 17:02:52

Yanbu at all. Even the smoking aside, they also probably have more caffeine than they realise.

Mandatorymongoose Sun 11-Jan-15 17:03:52

Yep, red bull really doesn't contain that much caffeine source tell them it's kind of them to be concerned for you but actually it's not an issue.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Sun 11-Jan-15 17:14:39

I'd be tempted to say 'oh right, maybe I should take up smoking instead'. Honestly, some people hmm

BigChocFrenzy Sun 11-Jan-15 17:16:14

Red Bull has a bad image, but the average can has roughly the same caffeine content as a cup of coffee.

Caffeine drinks can be a problem for kids, but scientific studies suggest that coffee for adults may provide useful antioxidants and be protective against T2 diabetes.
Energy drinks may be dangerous with alcohol.

smoking has been proved dangerous in every scientific study
So, caffeine and smoking are NOT comparable.

btw, amazingly high caffeine content in choc raisins, see pic - do your chums eat those ?

ThereIsACarInTheKitchen Sun 11-Jan-15 17:19:59

Do people actually do this? I don't drink red bull but I do drink a lot of coffee, usually with a lot of sugar in, and not one person has ever lectured me about the evils of caffeine.

FunkyBoldRibena Sun 11-Jan-15 17:30:13

'You should give up red bull'
'In what context?'
'It' is bad for you'
'Really, have you done any actual research on that as I have here a chart that says it is actually less caffeine than chocolate coated raisins?'
'Oh'
'Indeed'.

Frusso Sun 11-Jan-15 17:38:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AMumInScotland Sun 11-Jan-15 17:51:07

Make this face hmm than say .... right... so, same amount of caffeine per can as a coffee... Recommended maximum per day, what, 3 is it? Oh, and what's the recommended total for cigarettes again...? Uh huh.

Can be followed by "So get out of my face and focus on your own addictions first, mate"

blueemerald Sun 11-Jan-15 18:01:03

I think it's not just the caffeine but the "chemicals" in it that people object to. I agree that red bull has a bad reputation.

sashh I, perhaps hypocritically myself, tell my students off for drinking monster. It does scary things to kids with adhd etc.

Some great suggestions here, I will drink my can with pride at break tomorrow

ThereIsACarInTheKitchen Sun 11-Jan-15 18:06:42

Frusso I would say only my dad has ever really lectured me about that but the last time that happened was when I was about 17. I guess after that he figured I was a lost cause.

I have had people ask if I would like any coffee to go with my sugar when they see how much sugar I put in but that's about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now