YANBU! Children are people too.

EatShitDerek Sun 11-Jan-15 14:58:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StickEm Sun 11-Jan-15 15:01:04

StickEm Sun 11-Jan-15 15:02:01

CaptainHolt Sun 11-Jan-15 15:02:02

As an adult you know not to blatantly stand in the way and to be accommodating to people in shops and the like because as a child you were taught it.

StickEm Sun 11-Jan-15 15:02:11

StickEm Sun 11-Jan-15 15:04:01

IamTitanium Sun 11-Jan-15 15:12:02

I just take it as an adult if I am in the way, I will apologise and move, sometimes little children may not notice and/or understand the situation so parent does it on their behalf and is also teaching basic manners.
I could be stood right in the middle of something if no one was there its not an issue, if someone is there and there is room I move slightly and both can do what they need to do.
Also when this has happened the child is not usually looking at something at all, just stood waiting.

StickEm Sun 11-Jan-15 15:14:11

Discopanda Sun 11-Jan-15 15:14:14

I move my toddler, it's a knee-jerk reaction after far too many rude people who tsk and mutter if you dare to bring your child out in public

NeedABumChange Sun 11-Jan-15 15:16:50

Well YANBU if the child is actually looking at something but tbh most of the time they are just in the way, messing around in shop aisles, squabbling etc. I seem to constantly have children running into me. So YABU.

bigbluebus Sun 11-Jan-15 15:18:51

I would ask my DC to move out of the way if I was looking at something and they were just standing around waiting for me (and not helping me choose) but if the DC were looking at and choosing sweets/cakes fruit or healthy snacks for themselves then I would not move them and you would have to wait.

Bair Sun 11-Jan-15 15:23:00

I've had people push my DS out of 'their way'. Even when he's right by my side and not off wandering iyswim. I always have an eye out for anyone who needs to get by him after I nearly lost my temper with a man who thought he needed bread more than my DS needed an 'Excuse me please.'

Don't feel bad, I'm personally just trying to pre-empt that for every 99 lovely people, there's 1 absolute cock juggling thunder cunt.

I suppose a lot of children might just be standing looking at things but their parents aren't actually going to be buying the thing so in that instance they would be in the way

nousernamesleft Sun 11-Jan-15 15:44:17

I move my kids if I think they might be in someone's way after an old cow smacked my dd (2 ish at the time) across the back of her head with a basket. Dd needed glue and a night of observation, old witch got let off with a warning from police.
I'd rather move my child 100 times and annoy a nice person than not move them once and have that happen again.

abigamarone Sun 11-Jan-15 15:50:20

I don't find 'kids in the supermarket' annoying. I do however find 'kids in the supermarket messing about, running along with trolleys and not being told to behave' annoying though. I've yet to see an adult running full-pelt pushing a trolley. (still sporting the resulting bruise from that incident)

Fabulous46 Sun 11-Jan-15 15:53:00

I don't find kids in shops annoying except the ones zooming up and down aisles with bloody heelies on.

BlahBlahYeahYeah Sun 11-Jan-15 15:58:58

In silent stitches at 'cock juggling thunder cunt'

gringringringringringringringrin

OmnipotentQueenOfTheUniverse Sun 11-Jan-15 15:59:34

Some people do feel that children are "in the way" full stop and so it's a pre-emptive move and apology or whatever in case they start tutting / glaring / what have you. Better to have a few people apologised to who didn't need it than one getting arsey IYSWIM.

I have some anxiety around this unfortunately, started when I was pregnant out of nowhere, and am overzealous in moving children / apologising as I kind of think that many people will get really angry with them. So there are reasons people do it I guess.

Interestingly I have noticed that my FIL and DH are both terrible at getting in the way / being totally oblivious about blocking the pavement but as they are great big people everyone just walks around them and doesn't demonstrate annoyance even when they are causing an obstruction (I am forever dragging DH to the side of aisles and things).

Trills Sun 11-Jan-15 16:04:39

Are you saying that the parents are wrong to move their children out of your way?

If you are then I disagree.

Adults (hopefully) have the social skills to understand how to move in a crowded space, so that everyone can get where they want to go and look at the things that they want to look at - children do not.

StickEm Sun 11-Jan-15 16:08:25

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 11-Jan-15 16:09:47

Not sure what your saying really.

If my kids in the actual I will move then and apologise.

However if your talking about people assuming the kids mere existence in the vicinity of an adult is out if order Yanbu.

I hare the whole idea kids are in the wrong or in the way for merely breathing

StickEm Sun 11-Jan-15 16:10:04

skylark2 Sun 11-Jan-15 16:12:03

I think you've misinterpreted what the mum is doing. She isn't getting the child out of your way. She's helping the child to learn that when you are in someone's way, you get out of the way and apologise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now