Talk

Advanced search

to not go to work on bus stike day

(19 Posts)
ghostspirit Sun 11-Jan-15 14:02:28

there is going to be a bus stike in london on tueday. im 26 weeks pregnant. it would take me about 90 mins to walk it. plus 90 mins back. plus inbetween i will be working its quite physical and don't get any breaks. i work in a school kitchen lots of running about... so i was thinking if i should take the day of... i dont have money for a cab having a skint week

ILovePud Sun 11-Jan-15 14:09:17

That sounds really tough ghostspirit. Do you mean take annual leave, throw a sickie or speak to your boss and see if you can be absent from work that day? I do wonder about the breaks situation though, surely you're entitled to them, your employers have to consider the health and safety implications of your pregnancy and needing breaks seems like a reasonable request.

LindyHemming Sun 11-Jan-15 14:14:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ILovePud Sun 11-Jan-15 14:16:10

I think it'd hard to advice without knowing the circumstances so these suggestions may be impractical or irrelevant but could you take a train for part of the journey or get a lift? I was also wondering if you know how all the other staff at the school will be getting in that day, would there be potential for sharing a taxi? Would your employers be willing to pay for a taxi if they were faced with many of their staff being able to get in otherwise?

TiggerLillies Sun 11-Jan-15 14:18:25

Is there no tube route to take or colleagues who live nearby? With any luck this strike week be cancelled like last week's...

WorraLiberty Sun 11-Jan-15 14:18:54

If I were you I'd speak to the school about it.

If they really need you in they can either pay for a taxi or arrange a lift for you.

If they can't do that, you have no choice but to stay at home really. It's not like you can hop on a bike.

CleanLinesSharpEdges Sun 11-Jan-15 14:24:01

If you're thinking of taking annual leave or speaking to your boss and request unpaid leave, or suggesting they pay for a taxi and take it out of your wages, YANBU.

YWBU to pull a sickie or expect a free day off.

ghostspirit Sun 11-Jan-15 14:24:05

i dont get breaks only work from 11-2.30 euphemia there wont be a nearest one as such as thats my nearest one so it would end up further away.

i dont get holiday/leave that has to be taken in the school holidays.. i dont know anyone to get a lift from... there was talk about a taxi share and nothing came of the convo... maybe i can bring it up tomorrow.

i wont take a sickie i will just be honest.

i dont know maybe i could try find the money for a cab... maybe do it one way. walk to work but cab back

ghostspirit Sun 11-Jan-15 14:26:17

cleanlines i dont know what they will call it if i take day off. im not taking sickie though

ilovesooty Sun 11-Jan-15 14:41:50

Presumably you'll have to take it as unpaid leave?

ghostyslovesheep Sun 11-Jan-15 14:49:21

are there no tube stations near so you don't have to walk too much?

ghostspirit Sun 11-Jan-15 15:41:04

on the way there i could get a train. its more on the way back im worried about because of the school run. i would not make it in time and i dont have the support system where i have any sort of help.i guess i will find out more tomorrow.

skylark2 Sun 11-Jan-15 15:43:55

" It's not like you can hop on a bike."

Why can't someone who has a job involving being on her feet all day hop on a bike? There's no reason being 6 months pregnant means you can't cycle.

Of course, the OP may not own a bike - but I don't understand why it's something she couldn't possibly be expected to do in general.

GahBuggerit Sun 11-Jan-15 15:50:09

yanbu to speak to your manager about the situation. maybe they can loan you some money and deduct from your wages, thats what id offer as a solution.

ghostspirit Sun 11-Jan-15 15:51:09

i dont have a bike... when people are pregnant sometimes their balance is not great. mine is crap.

crumblebumblebee Sun 11-Jan-15 15:54:58

Speak to your manager and see if s/he has any suggestions. They may know another staff member who could help you out.

Enjorasdream Sun 11-Jan-15 16:07:51

I'm disabled, and don't know what I am going to do. Companies are not obliged to assist disabled employees get to work, so doubt they will help you out. The TFL website is particularly unhelpful. It gives the names of the companies who may go on strike, but not the route numbers

ghostspirit Sun 11-Jan-15 16:21:30

thats not good enjorasdream there are only 7 of us where i work. we based in southeast london/kent boarder... one driver lives closer to london. opposite direction to me... the other driver does not come no where near me either. 5 of us are going to have problems. so dont know what will happen find out one way or another i guess.

ghostspirit Sun 11-Jan-15 16:22:25

oops no that was wrong 7 of us will have problems there are 9 not 7 lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now