Talk

Advanced search

to think that children need chairs too?

(22 Posts)
ithoughtofitfirst Sun 11-Jan-15 10:18:58

Went to a restaurant last night for my dad's 60th with dh and 5 other adults, a toddler and a baby (other people had children with them too so it's not one of those threads). We needed to get an extra chair because one of the adults, a friend of my dad, didn't know he could come til last minute. We needed an extra chair which our first waitress said was no problem at all.

(At this point I'm starting to think maybe we wbu because we didn't let them know)

Anyhow my toddler was very well behaved but kept alternating between his chair and dh's lap because he kept fancying stuff of his plate. By this point we had a new waitress and the place was pretty full with another party right next to us.

Every time ds got off his chair the waitress would take it to give it to another table. Then typically ds would want to sit in his chair again and get upset that his chair was gone (he's kind of particular about order) so we would ask for it back if that would be ok. The third time we asked she snapped at us saying well I'll need this "extra" chair for another table. (Ok I know we needed an extra one but they said it was ok and they probably earned another £30-40 for having the extra person). And she took the fucking chair again!! Ds didn't lose his temper to be fair to him but it's the kind of thing that normally really upsets him.

Wwbu?

I feel like ringing to just politely let them know that we were a bit pissed off.

RufusTheReindeer Sun 11-Jan-15 10:23:15

I don't think YABU

I can understand their point if it's busy and they only have enough chairs oer table

But you would think they would have a spare chair somewhere in the building

FunkyBoldRibena Sun 11-Jan-15 10:23:46

Could you not have just stopped her from taking it by putting your toddler back on it each time?

slightlyglitterstained Sun 11-Jan-15 10:32:40

YANBU. I wouldn't expect my chair to vanish if I had the temerity to go to the toilet during a meal. And snapping at you is out of order, customer service basics, don't let annoyance show to customers, just explain calmly and politely.

Though tbh, given that you'd repeatedly asked for a chair, to keep taking it away again is taking the piss. If it wasn't convenient/they couldn't supply an extra chair, the time to say that is at the start, not midmeal in some passive aggressive sneaky way.

ithoughtofitfirst Sun 11-Jan-15 10:35:18

Yeah probably funky I think I should have said at the time the first time. But she just took it and because we were talking we just didn't notice. And then were like oh where'd his chair go and found another one and carried on eating etc. If that makes sense.

skylark2 Sun 11-Jan-15 10:36:04

Was she really hovering snatching the chair away every time your DS moved? Or was he in fact not using it at all except to make a fuss when it wasn't available? A lot of toddlers are very good at dog in the manger.

Why didn't you just put a bag or coat on it to show that it was in use?

Andrewofgg Sun 11-Jan-15 10:59:12

YANBU but a bag or coat makes sense - and a firm tone of voice.

MythicalKings Sun 11-Jan-15 11:08:30

Maybe they were just being polite when they found the extra chair for your table. It was rude of you not to ask if it was ok in advance.

Perhaps they had been left short for other bookings.

PoppySausage Sun 11-Jan-15 11:12:02

YANBU at all, complain definitely.

ithoughtofitfirst Sun 11-Jan-15 11:49:30

Hmm yeah maybe I will

WorraLiberty Sun 11-Jan-15 12:01:06

I don't understand how she managed to take the chair 3 times, without anyone noticing and saying, "Excuse me, we still need the chair, thank you".

Was she a stealthy ninja waitress? grin

ithoughtofitfirst Sun 11-Jan-15 12:04:56

Haha yeah she was well shifty!

Laquitar Sun 11-Jan-15 12:13:30

This sounds very funny.

Tbf to them, yes they might have made 30-40 out of the extra person of your group but if another group, say 10 people, walk out because of one chair short then they lose 500ish? All for a chair that it is staying there unused.

What do you want to achieve by phoning them now? Money back?

ithoughtofitfirst Sun 11-Jan-15 12:22:42

Hmm yeah maybe i will not

PinkOboe Sun 11-Jan-15 12:35:40

Oh o don't know. If they were very busy and short of a chair for an adult who would generate a far higher revenue than a child. And that child was spending a significant amount of time out of his chair, I can see why they'd think 'the kid isn't even using his chair but Mr McGreedy Bigdrinker is having to stand up for his pie and pint' they'd think it could be better used elsewhere. That said they should've asked and left it when you said you needed it

The waitress was probably busy, harassed and trying to please everybody.

slightlyglitterstained Sun 11-Jan-15 12:36:01

To be fair, she didn't need to be shirty or sly about it, did she? If she'd come over and explained "Sorry, I notice your son seems to prefer daddy's lap - we have a party of ten booked in and only 9 chairs left, I'm going to have to ask for this chair back please" then the OP would have been very different. Not well handled by waitress 2, and that is what I would say is grounds for complaint.

Hatespiders Sun 11-Jan-15 12:38:26

They should have a few extra chairs in hand for just these sort of situations.
Agree YANBU. You don't snatch a chair away from a customer (even a child) the moment they get up for a minute.

vestandknickers Sun 11-Jan-15 12:38:51

So what happened when you got the chair back?

Did an adult at another table have to stand up for a while?

ithoughtofitfirst Sun 11-Jan-15 14:09:34

She was setting up an empty table at first (which I now realise was reserved) and we just didn't think anything of taking it back. Same the second time and then the third time the party were arriving and we thought we should say something because we needed it but didn't want the other people to be a chair down either.

Anyway she found a chair from somewhere else eventually.

I think we may have bu. We should have let them know.

ithoughtofitfirst Sun 11-Jan-15 14:10:24

Dh just corrected me!

Littlef00t Sun 11-Jan-15 15:11:42

I think it's one of those things that you could have mentioned at the tim, but afterwards it's just not worth it.

ithoughtofitfirst Sun 11-Jan-15 15:42:55

It gets worse actually. When I spoke to my dad he said that she asked and he told her it was okay.

FACK. Imagine if I'd complained. Twat grin blush

Seems I need more sleep to function like a normal human being.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now