Talk

Advanced search

To like twee?

(8 Posts)
muchtooshy Sun 11-Jan-15 08:54:54

I love all that fake 1950s housewife stuff - wearing aprons, sewing, baking, keeping a spick and span house and making handmade bits like bunting and little felt hearts ........

At work last week there was a discussion about people like Kirstie Allsopp and the general consensus was that people that liked her and all that shabby chic slightly retro stuff was basically daft and letting the side down. If I hadn't been a temp (or if it had been my last week!) I would have had a fair bit to say. I have qualifications etc. and work full time but I also like growing pretty flowers in the garden and hand embroidering handkerchiefs. I just don't see that it has to be one or the other.

I love the 50s housewife stereotype (so much on pinterest!!) but it doesn't mean I think lives were perfect back then.

What is so bad about being a bit twee?!

PoppySausage Sun 11-Jan-15 08:58:56

I like it too, and I am definitely a feminist. It isn't one or the other for me. I don't keep a spick and span houses though, but almost everything is antique or handmade

Rhymerocket Sun 11-Jan-15 08:59:02

I'm an educated professional woman! My most favourite thing in my house is my frilly apron! I have A sewing area and I love bunting! I'm proud to be Twee!!!

puntasticusername Sun 11-Jan-15 09:07:38

I really, really, really want some cunt bunting. Does that count?

Hatespiders Sun 11-Jan-15 09:10:08

Same here. I'm University educated, retired teacher and embraced all the Women's Lib stuff etc. I was born in the forties. I'd hate to be a housewife in the fifties, BUT the twee things are right up my street. I love knitting, sewing, gardening, cooking, decorative cake-icing, creative things like patchwork and embroidery. I belong to Women's Friendly Hour in our village, and we do all those types of things. They soften the high-tech side of life with a personal touch, and satisfy your creativity.

I like Kirsty Allsopp. In spite of being 'upper crust' she seems to be a kind, sensible and interesting person with great ideas and a positive outlook on life.
Refreshing compared to these stick-thin self-obsessed pouting model type of women.

fabfiftyfox Sun 11-Jan-15 09:15:00

I love all things 'twee' I just watched Doris Day (love her) in "Don't eat the daisies" AGAIN.
Bring back twee I say grin

greeneggsandjam Sun 11-Jan-15 09:17:31

Twee is where it's at.

fabfiftyfox Sun 11-Jan-15 09:22:38

I agree Hatespiders totally.
Nothing I like more than being in the kitchen, baking in my frilly apron, listening to a 'Best of the 40's & 50''s cd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now