Talk

Advanced search

To think wtf???

(16 Posts)
sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sun 11-Jan-15 00:34:29

Someone locally to me has posted on FB tagging a few people who I'm friends with advertising for another 'sonographer'
On looking at the page it looks like someone has set up a business doing private ultrasound scans but there is no mention of them being medically trained and one of the 'services' listed is a viability scan.
Am I wrong to be utterly gob smacked anyone could just apply and do such a job with no medical skills and may be in a position where all may not be well and they have to communicate this to a pregnant mum?

NoTedInTheBed Sun 11-Jan-15 00:37:14

Wow. YANBU. I'm shocked.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sun 11-Jan-15 01:05:15

I've seen this person has advertised on many 'buy and sell' type pages and people have asked about if they are allowed to do this qualified sonographers etc and the response was 'we can as it's not diagnostic' so what the hell is a viability scan??
I'm appalled to be honest

wickedlazy Sun 11-Jan-15 01:17:06

Viability scan is to confirm pregnancy and establish a due date.

I'd be shocked if they had any takers. I wouldn't trust anything a "sonographer" told me, unless they had been medically trained.

sliceofsoup Sun 11-Jan-15 01:17:14

What? Thats crazy.

Surely a possible outcome of a viability scan is "not viable" which is a diagnosis. Though I am not sure what a viability scan even is really.

MrsTawdry Sun 11-Jan-15 01:17:14

I am also shock and if I were you I would get their contact details and then call the appropriate authorities to get them checked out. Can you link in fact?

MrsTawdry Sun 11-Jan-15 01:17:35

I am also shock and if I were you I would get their contact details and then call the appropriate authorities to get them checked out. Can you link in fact?

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sun 11-Jan-15 01:23:30

I can't link as it will out me I'm afraid

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sun 11-Jan-15 01:25:12

I'm going to ask around at work on Monday to see if anyone has heard of this company and if this is a common thing.
I just worry if they went to do a scan and the baby had no heart beat how the hell would they deal with that? And how unethical is it?

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sun 11-Jan-15 01:25:51

I'm going to ask around at work on Monday to see if anyone has heard of this company and if this is a common thing.
I just worry if they went to do a scan and the baby had no heart beat how the hell would they deal with that? And how unethical is it?

Discopanda Sun 11-Jan-15 01:43:48

It also takes advantage of nervous mums who want to double-check on their unborn baby, the time between your second scan and actually giving birth is a long time.

SoleSource Sun 11-Jan-15 01:48:14

Saw those over one year ago. I wouldn't use that service.

PrettyLittleMitty Sun 11-Jan-15 07:32:40

Report to the relevant authorities.

mcdog Sun 11-Jan-15 07:34:59

It needs reporting to the CQC. Just google it and they come up, really simple reporting process.

KnackeredMerrily Sun 11-Jan-15 07:36:18

I considered using a similar service. It was cheap and i wanted to know everything was ok. Too impatient to wait 12 weeks

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sun 11-Jan-15 09:54:15

But if it's not a diagnostic scan how can you tell if everything is ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now