Talk

Advanced search

To lock the car doors in a crowd?

(106 Posts)
ShatterResistant Sat 10-Jan-15 19:26:40

Please help me settle a "discussion" with DH. We were driving home this afternoon, in the dark, with 2 under 2 in the back. On the way, we passed a football ground, just as the crowd were coming out after the game. The traffic slowed right down, as there were people all over the road, although they weren't rowdy at all. I instinctively leaned down to push the central locking button, and DH said, what are you doing? When I explained that I was locking the doors, just in case, he didn't get it at all, and said I was being paranoid. Was I? I mean, in case of what, I don't suppose I really know. Car jacking? Opportunistic baby kidnapping? Very unlikely, I know, but POSSIBLE, right?! I should add, I'm not generally paranoid, and it's not something he habitually accuses me of. Also, he is a football fan, so I think he thought I was doubting his people, but I would do it in any crowd. So, who is right?!

HeffalumpsnWoozles Sat 10-Jan-15 19:28:29

I lock my car doors when driving in certain areas, better safe than sorry IMO.

NorwaySpruce Sat 10-Jan-15 19:29:05

Not sure really, as we have central locking on as default grin

Crowds in the road do make me edgy though.

formerbabe Sat 10-Jan-15 19:29:06

I would lock the doors too. If I'm in traffic in a busy area I always lock them, I am paranoid someone will open the door and nick my handbag.

LIZS Sat 10-Jan-15 19:29:20

My car has an auto lock when I move off.

TheReluctantCountess Sat 10-Jan-15 19:29:48

I lock the doors in certain areas.

Purplecircle Sat 10-Jan-15 19:31:29

I worked with someone who was carjacked. A bloke got in her car, made her drive to a cashpoint at knifepoint and withdraw however much cash you're allowed. Ever since then I drive with the doors locked

scarletforya Sat 10-Jan-15 19:31:57

Yanbu.

He's living in cloud cuckoo land! I generally keep mine locked in case of thieves breaking the window to steal handbag/phone etc. I don't want anyone invading my car, especially with dd in the back.

Although I never leave my handbag/phone visible, it's just common sense.

ShatterResistant Sat 10-Jan-15 19:32:28

LIZS my old car used to lock automatically too. I had forgotten that. I always found it slightly comforting to hear it click as I drove off.

Greydog Sat 10-Jan-15 19:34:01

I never used to, but now, in certain areas I feel safer locking the doors

Bunnet Sat 10-Jan-15 19:34:08

I lock my doors as well when driving

In the summer I was stopped at traffic lights with my window opened and a guy shoved his hand through the window with a leaflet, he wouldn't go away from the car. Sounds ridiculous but I got such a fright and my bag was on the passenger seat, he could've been away with it!

Memphisbelly Sat 10-Jan-15 19:34:29

I always lock my doors, my aunt was jumped at a zebra crossing, she had her bag looped through seatbelt and she got beat up badly until she undid her belt to release bag.

CatsClaus Sat 10-Jan-15 19:35:37

I generally don't lock the doors at all, but there is something sinister about a local town so I generally snick the central locking on going through there.

and also driving alone at night, not that I do much of that, but still

ALso you should try to put your bag on the floor/passenger footwell, not leave it visible on the seat.

mausmaus Sat 10-Jan-15 19:36:07

I keep the doors locked as well.
--since a woman sat down on the passenger seat asking me to drive her to the next tube station.

ShatterResistant Sat 10-Jan-15 19:36:11

DH says we're unlikely to get carjacked while he's in the car, because there would be nowhere for the carjacker to sit. I fear this will be one of those times when he refuses to admit he's wrong, against the tide of popular opinion.

mausmaus Sat 10-Jan-15 19:36:25

strike out fail

bexster5 Sat 10-Jan-15 19:39:03

I would do the same as you. I'm pretty sure DH would do the same as yours though smile

specialsubject Sat 10-Jan-15 19:40:11

yes, basic common sense in that situation.

not when whizzing along the motorway but in a stop start street, in a crowd? Why wouldn't you?

tell your partner that the carjacker is likely to force him out at knifepoint or just pull him out, to create seating. Or you too.

BTW NEVER put your handbag on the passenger seat. It goes UNDER the seat out of sight.

MrsMaker83 Sat 10-Jan-15 19:41:57

Yanbu

I lock my doors as soon as i set off driving.

You never know what nutters are lurking about, waiting at traffic lights or slow moving traffic areas etc, anybody could open a door and drag you out, carjack, steal your bag or phone or who knows what else?!

I know its not something that is highly likely to happen, and I'm not generally a paranoid person, but something as small as locking a door just makes your journey safer!

PhaedraIsMyName Sat 10-Jan-15 19:43:01

I always lock the doors if I'm on my own.

hazelnutlatte Sat 10-Jan-15 19:43:28

A drunk person got in my dad's car in the traffic lights once. Luckily he was harmless - my dad refused to move the car and beeped his horn until he got out! Still scary though and I always lock my car in a crowd!

scarletforya Sat 10-Jan-15 19:43:53

Huh, if they wanted in bad enough they could just pull him (or you) out!

He might be suffering from a touch of it'll never happen to me syndrome. hmm

trackrBird Sat 10-Jan-15 19:44:21

Why would you not lock the door anyway?

And your 2 will be over 2 before long, and may find it fun to reach out and fiddle with unlocked doors themselves. IMHO, lock, and forget.

ShatterResistant Sat 10-Jan-15 19:45:16

I would, specialsubject, but because he knows he's wrong, he now refuses to discuss it any further. Typical.

PhaedraIsMyName Sat 10-Jan-15 19:45:52

In the days before central locking a friend of mine was faced with the situation you described. Strange man trying to get in to her car at traffic lights. This was in a nice part of Aberdeen on her way from work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now