Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to pursue a refund for this piece of clothing?

(39 Posts)
Utkatasana Sat 10-Jan-15 18:18:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 10-Jan-15 18:22:34

I'd say it was your own fault for spinning it?

Although she shouldn't have said it,you should have exercised your own sense and caution and followed the label instructions that you knew where there.

You could see what they say though,if you really want to,but I wouldn't

CatWomantotheRescue Sat 10-Jan-15 18:22:50

I'm afraid that's your fault. Hand washing is one thing but then it should have been laid flat to dry. It's the spin-drying that did the damage, or at least most of it.

SauvignonBlanche Sat 10-Jan-15 18:24:01

Not sure you'd get anywhere if you haven't followed the washing instructions.

Littlef00t Sat 10-Jan-15 18:24:30

So you hand washed it as cautiously recommended and it was fine. But then you span it and ruined it?

No recourse unfortunately. Expensive lesson learned.

WowOoo Sat 10-Jan-15 18:25:05

I'd go back and tell them you were told it would be OK. I'd definitely complain.

I've just done a merino jumper in the machine. Cold wash, with a spin. It's come out fine. Uniqlo £14.99 (sorry!)

WowOoo Sat 10-Jan-15 18:25:47

I would have thought that a spin would stretch it rather than shrink it?

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Sat 10-Jan-15 18:26:43

It's your own fault.

She said it would probably be ok if you handwashed it.

Putting it in the machine to spin it is not handwashing it.

It needed to be laid flat to dry.

BikeRunSki Sat 10-Jan-15 18:27:13

Was the hand wash water very hot? I wear merino running tops and chuck them in the machineeith everything else at 30 or 40 and tgey are fine.

EBearhug Sat 10-Jan-15 18:32:36

The wool wash on my machine does it at 30 degrees, and only does a gentle spin. It's the spinning that will have done the damage.

mummytowillow Sat 10-Jan-15 18:34:14

It's the spinning that made it shrink. I I work for well known retailer and its a common complaint.

You won't get a refund I'm afraid hmm

simbacatlivesgain Sat 10-Jan-15 18:36:05

Did you buy the dry clean jumper and then wash it?

Utkatasana Sat 10-Jan-15 18:36:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marylou2 Sat 10-Jan-15 18:37:34

No comfort at all but Uniqlo merino washes superbly on a cold wash with woolite. You could get 4 to replace your £100 one.

ghostspirit Sat 10-Jan-15 18:38:37

you could take it back and say you got it as a present. it says size medium no way is that a medium more like a small. the labels must have been mixed up.

but if its all misshapen then guess you cant

YesIDidMeanToBeSoRudeActually Sat 10-Jan-15 18:52:07

"My machine has a HW and spun it really gently. It came out sopping wet and shrunk even before I put it back in to spin again."

Yeah...you kind of lost my sympathy there!

It is annoying but it was a risky thing to do, it's not paid off this time!

YesIDidMeanToBeSoRudeActually Sat 10-Jan-15 18:53:10

Ghostspirit, I like your style, that's the kind of "musing" pointless things I post smile

You spun it twice?!It had already shrunk so you decided to spin it?!?!?Why?

Deffo don't try taking it back!

For what it's worth,I recently bought a couple of jumpers with an alpaca content,which are handwash only. I can use the handwash function on my machine (which does NOT have a spin cycle) and yes they come out shopping wet. I just lay them out on a towel,place another on top and gently press out extra water before moving them to dry flat.Job done and no shrinkage

LIZS Sat 10-Jan-15 19:01:51

So you didn't actually hand wash it ? You put it in the machine on a gentle cycle then respun it! What did the label actually say ?

millymae Sat 10-Jan-15 19:27:50

If the label said dry clean then I think you may just have to accept that it was your fault because you didn't follow the instructions of the label.

I don't agree though that spinning causes jumpers to shrink. I hand wash and spin all of mine that can be washed - some cheapish and others expensive and none of them have shrunk. IMHO it's better to spin than try and dry sopping wet, and I've found that when they've been spun they can be hung carefully on the line to dry (with pegs that don't show marks) with no ill effect.

ghostspirit Sat 10-Jan-15 19:28:13

haha it happend to me the other day. i bought pair of jeans got them home and thought no way are they passing my butt.. and the actual stitched on labels were wrong. saying that mine still had all the tags and stuff

cardibach Sat 10-Jan-15 20:13:28

You should have followed the washing instructions. However I am a bit confused as I thought that one of the good things about Merino was that it could be machine washed confused. I machine wash all my merino pieces - no problems so far.

ToBeeOrNot Sat 10-Jan-15 20:17:50

Sounds like you've felted it, what else was in the machine with it? It's quite possible to felt wool with cold water and a gentle spin if you have other items in the machine too.

TiggerLillies Sat 10-Jan-15 20:48:46

I've hand washed a lot of items and then spun on 400 (use to be a housekeeper - had my employers permission to do so) none ever shrunk.
Saying that I'd be far too embarrassed to complain to a shop for something that happened as a result of deviating from the instructions. I'd be tempted to write and tell them so they can train their staff better, whilst accepting blame for listening to them...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now