Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be cheered by the person who delivered the groceries today?

(10 Posts)
MakeTeaNotWar Sat 10-Jan-15 13:49:48

I've been doing a fortnightly online shop forever. Today, for the first time, the groceries were delivered by a woman. Up until now it's always been men from the various supermarkets. Hurrah. AIBU to have been cheered to see a woman do a traditionally male job?

Trills Sat 10-Jan-15 13:52:45

I feel like this too sometimes.

squoosh Sat 10-Jan-15 13:53:17

I think that the delivery of online shopping is too new a phenomenon to be considered traditionally anything.

wonkylegs Sat 10-Jan-15 14:00:55

Umm it's not that unusual - I used to get a weekly Tesco order 50% of the time male driver, 50% female - as I usually got 1 of 4 drivers I knew them quite well after a few years. I almost felt a bit sad when we moved.
Here we don't do online shopping but our parcel deliveries are about 60/40 male/female which I find more unusual. Especially the UPS lady who wears shorts all year round.... It's the NE of England FFS it's cold in winter, I'm cold just looking at her.

Trills Sat 10-Jan-15 14:01:00

Driving vans and delivering things in general is pretty male-dominated.

Because women can't drive large vehicles or pick up boxes, apparently.

TidyDancer Sat 10-Jan-15 14:02:51

It's not unusual around here either. Pretty even balance really.

Lucylouby Sat 10-Jan-15 14:09:20

We have one female tesco driver round here. One of the yodel drivers is also female and two out of three Hermes drivers. But that is no way near 50% of all delivery drivers that deliver round here. It is very much a male orientated job where we live.
There is a female digger driver on the local building site. This did impress me, as building sites are traditionally very male dominated.

SEmyarse Sat 10-Jan-15 22:59:06

I'm a hermes driver (and female). About 3 quarters of our depot are female.

I have to stick with hermes work since they only have a maximum of 17kg and I struggle with anything over about 20kg. I suspect this is the case for lots of women.

That obviously relates to parcels rather than food deliveries though.

Hassled Sat 10-Jan-15 23:01:07

I'm always delighted when the taxi driver (I get a fair few taxis) is female.

Westendgal Sat 10-Jan-15 23:08:38

I was going to post on MN recently on a similar topic. Was out walking the dog and saw a female stone mason repairing a wall and then, later on, a female technician high up fixing street lights. It made me happy. Then I thought I shouldn't be feeling such surprise IYKWIM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now