Talk

Advanced search

To expect the au pair to eat breakfast in her own time?

(239 Posts)
Mammagaga Sat 10-Jan-15 00:20:49

The au pair works from 8-10 every morning AIBU to expect that she feeds the baby at 8am instead of leaving her screaming while she makes and eats her own breakfast?!

WonkoTheSane42 Sat 10-Jan-15 00:22:03

Are you that Daily Mail woman with the dodgy eye?

Schoolaroundthecorner Sat 10-Jan-15 00:23:48

I didn't think au pairs looked after babies, just children of school going age or thereabouts?

Metalguru Sat 10-Jan-15 00:26:04

If she is only working from 8am until 10a, it is fair that she eats gets either before it after. Yanbu.

JohnQuig Sat 10-Jan-15 00:29:40

YABVU.

What's it like, living in La-La-Land?

ScotsWhaHae Sat 10-Jan-15 00:30:55

As an au paid I'm assuming she lives in? Does your child care for next to fuck all? Isn't qualified, paid minimum wage or is even paid properly (tax, ni etc).

Yabu. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. You want quality child care,,pay for it.

TanteRose Sat 10-Jan-15 00:32:38

YANBU she should eat her breakfast before she starts work

I don't turn up at work and immediately sit down to eat confused

CookieLady Sat 10-Jan-15 00:33:15

YABU for hawking the au pair to look after a baby.

CattyCatCat Sat 10-Jan-15 00:33:36

If she lives in then I think it is ok. It is nice for the baby to have the social experience of shared eating. If you can't do that I think it's fine for this lady to take your place.

melonribena Sat 10-Jan-15 00:34:38

Pay her from 8.30 and feed the baby yourself? Clearly you are in the house to witness the screaming while eating?

melonribena Sat 10-Jan-15 00:34:44

Pay her from 8.30 and feed the baby yourself? Clearly you are in the house to witness the screaming while eating?

squoosh Sat 10-Jan-15 00:35:01

If it was a nanny I'd say YANBU but as it's an au pair I think YABU. You're not paying for a nanny level service.

SparklyTwinkleGlitter Sat 10-Jan-15 00:37:15

YANBU.

You are paying her to look after your child for 2 hours between 8-10 am. It's not a twelve hour shift without breaks.

If you dropped the baby off at a daycare centre you wouldn't expect the staff to eat breakfast whilst ignoring the children they are supposed to be minding.

Tell her to prepare and eat her breakfast in her own time.

FightOrFlight Sat 10-Jan-15 00:41:56

Are you that Daily Mail woman with the dodgy eye?

grin

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Sat 10-Jan-15 00:47:06

An au pair is meant to be treated as a family member. She should sit down and eat with the baby. That said any sane would feed baby first and then sit down with their own food.

NeedABumChange Sat 10-Jan-15 01:07:40

YANBU. She's doing two hours, tell her to get up ten minutes earlier and eat brekkie on her own time like most of the working world.

MaMaMarmoset Sat 10-Jan-15 01:15:39

An au pair is meant to be treated as a family member. She should sit down and eat with the baby. That said any sane would feed baby first and then sit down with their own food.

this. But if she eats during her shift in general it is fair enough.

slithytove Sat 10-Jan-15 01:22:11

Yanbu

YvesJutteau Sat 10-Jan-15 01:24:26

I thought au pairs weren't supposed to have sole charge of babies?

But leaving that aside, I agree with Ghoul.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 10-Jan-15 01:26:40

OP you've got an au pair and therefore, in the world of mumsnet, no matter how well you treat them YABU and awful and you're from the Daily Mail and live in la la land and so on and so on.

Back in the real world...no YANBU. It's fine for her to eat breakfast with the baby/while she feeds the baby, but leaving the baby to scream is unacceptable. Although I would question why you're leaving the baby to scream and not either feeding it yourself or telling the au pair to stop eating her breakfast and feed the baby.

squoosh Sat 10-Jan-15 01:33:32

OP you've got an au pair and therefore, in the world of mumsnet, no matter how well you treat them YABU and awful and you're from the Daily Mail and live in la la land and so on and so on.

Ummm except for the fact that the thread seems to be an even split of YABU/YANBU.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 10-Jan-15 01:38:17

I hold my hands up. I might not have been being entirely and completely factually accurate squoosh.

<hangs head in shame>

wobblyweebles Sat 10-Jan-15 01:38:37

How could anyone sit and eat their own breakfast while a baby screams with hunger?

YANBU.

By the way, I've no idea which country you're in OP, but it's perfectly normal for au pairs to look after babies where I live, and at a cost of $24,000 a year I think that's perfectly reasonable.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 10-Jan-15 01:43:27

Au pairs in England don't get anywhere near £24,000 a year, more like £5000. And they aren't supposed to have long-term, sole charge of babies, but feeding them breakfast whilst mum is in the house is perfectly fine.

emeline Sat 10-Jan-15 01:46:12

Why is the baby screaming when she arrives?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now