Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to potty train dc2 with a (very) newborn?

(15 Posts)
OuiOuiMadame Fri 09-Jan-15 21:12:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Romeorodriguez Fri 09-Jan-15 21:16:28

Why don't you want two in nappies? I would have thought it would be easier to change two nappies than clean up pee from clothes/furniture/floors etc. I left potty training as long as I possibly could (lazy) and it was done and dusted in less than a week.

natwebb79 Fri 09-Jan-15 21:17:27

We've just potty trained 3 year old DS while I'm breast feeding a 5 month old, mainly because DH was home over Christmas. It worked well and now DH is back at work I'm pro at getting DS' pants and trousers down for him to use the potty while breast feeding DS2 grin .

KnackeredMerrily Fri 09-Jan-15 21:21:01

My son had quite an unsettled time when DS2 was born, the extra work of a newborn has been no bother but i wouldn't have wanted to push more change on him than he could cope with.

A new sibling at 3yo is a lot to take in. Other than that i think your idea is reasonable

Clobbered Fri 09-Jan-15 21:21:53

DON'T, DO NOT try and potty train your DC2 when DC3 arrives. Young children often go backwards with training when a newborn arrives, you will both have enough on your hands with a new baby, and it is just a terrible idea!!
You might, might, get lucky and find that DC2 spontaneously decides he is a big boy now once DC3 arrives, and find that he trains himself. My DS1 announced that he was a big boy on his 3rd birthday and never wore a nappy day or night ever again.
2 in nappies is completely fine. I had DS1 and DD less than a year apart, and I was a dab hand at doing 2 at a time, over my lap. Much less hassle than chasing after them with a potty and clearing up messes. I can count on the fingers of one hands the accidents I ever cleared up with 3 children. Just sit tight, save yourself the aggro and let them decide when they're ready.

Pengyquin Fri 09-Jan-15 21:23:53

I've just trained a just 2 yr old with an 8 month old (who is now crawling). A newborn is easy, they don't do anything!

Has he shown no signs at all of being ready? 3 seems quite late. I would think it's quite unfair to start as the baby arrives, as surely he will associate you 'training' him with the baby arriving? cue jealousy etc.

I'd maybe wait until he does show signs of being ready?

Pengyquin Fri 09-Jan-15 21:24:55

oh. and two in nappies is perfectly fine (albeit expensive!)

Babiecakes11 Fri 09-Jan-15 21:25:08

toldmywrath Fri 09-Jan-15 21:26:31

My dd was almost 2 when her younger sibling was born. DD decided herself that she wasn't going to wear a nappy any more (she'd remove it & go to find her potty) It was the wrong time for me as I was so busy with new baby, but we got through it. Took a few weeks to sort out & she was age 3 before completely dry at night.
I'd say age 3 is a good time to start. tbh I'm surprised that people seem to leave it so long, but then I'm an old gimmer whose children had to be out of nappies before they were allowed to go to playschool. I know the law has changed in that regard.
Hope all goes well OuiOui (is your name a pun? grin) & how exciting to be having a third dc.

OuiOuiMadame Fri 09-Jan-15 21:27:58

OuiOuiMadame Fri 09-Jan-15 21:30:27

amothersplaceisinthewrong Fri 09-Jan-15 21:31:07

Wow, how things have changed. I didn't realise you could still have a child in nappies and send to nursery!

Babiecakes11 Fri 09-Jan-15 23:04:00

OuiOuiMadame Fri 09-Jan-15 23:08:50

NormHonal Fri 09-Jan-15 23:09:22

I wouldn't plan/force anything, but you might get lucky.

We did - after many fruitless months of trying to train DC1, the birth of DC2 (similar age gap to you) was when DC1 decided to be the big sibling and everything clicked into place within a month or so of DC2's birth. Not just potty-trained, toilet-trained to boot. And we barely did anything to encourage that after DC2 was born.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now