Talk

Advanced search

72 virgins in paradise

(203 Posts)
QweenCnut Fri 09-Jan-15 18:24:37

Do they really believe this?

Do they think that by murdering innocents they will get their reward? They took my cousin 12 years ago, I will never forget the screams of my aunt.

I hope that the French jihadists rot for eternity.

WorraLiberty Fri 09-Jan-15 18:28:54

Sorry about your cousin thanks

Yes I think they do believe it. I guess it's no more ridiculous a notion than the existence of god/gods though.

I think terrorists are just really easily brainwashed thugs.

bluebirdonmyshoulder Fri 09-Jan-15 18:30:09

I have heard that the 72 virgins was a typo / mistranslation.

If so, what they're actually getting is 72 sugared almonds.

Hope you break your teeth on them you fucking medieval bastards.

OxonConfusedDotCom Fri 09-Jan-15 18:32:49

It is extraordinarily sexist, however. Am feeling much less tolerant right now- not of Islam per se but of how politically incorrect it has been historically to criticise even slightly certain muslim behaviours which can subjugate women for fear of being culturally insensitive. How about female-kind insensitive [fume] ?!

Gunznroses Fri 09-Jan-15 18:33:08

You can get 72 virgins right here on earth without killing anyone shock

26Point2Miles Fri 09-Jan-15 18:34:50

Why 72? Weird number

And virgins ain't all that either (so I'm told!)

WorraLiberty Fri 09-Jan-15 18:36:16

Well it's plain pervy really

Do they think when they die, they're going to spend their whole time fucking women?

bluebirdonmyshoulder Fri 09-Jan-15 18:37:32

True. So even if it is sex (and not sugared almonds) then it's 72 instances of crap sex! <remembers first time>

Not too bright these Islamic extremists.

Username12345 Fri 09-Jan-15 18:37:48

Do they really believe this?

Whether they do or not is neither here nor there. There are a lot more complicated reasons to why people turn to terrorism than 'I'm going to get virgins in heaven'.

Cuddledaroundacat Fri 09-Jan-15 18:38:25

What are they going to do when they run out of virgins?

WorraLiberty Fri 09-Jan-15 18:40:48

I don't think the OP is disputing that Username

But the virgin thing is what's being discussed here

Nothavingfunrightnow Fri 09-Jan-15 18:41:44

Most religions - if not all - subjugate women to lesser roles. Islam is just one that makes women subordinate to men, as does Christianity.

Ridiculous, terrifying superstitions causing more deaths and abuse of women (and children and men) than anything else on the planet.

OxonConfusedDotCom Fri 09-Jan-15 18:43:52

Agree with your final point but muslim faith subjugates women much more than (mainstream modern) Christianity.

Username12345 Fri 09-Jan-15 18:45:18

Unless someone knows a terrorist I don't think anyone can say if they really believe it.

But I don't think that is why they do it, or even if it's a consideration.

brokenhearted55a Fri 09-Jan-15 18:46:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nothavingfunrightnow Fri 09-Jan-15 18:46:04

You are right, Oxon.

LaChatte Fri 09-Jan-15 18:46:04

Is there any mention of the virgins being female? They might be in for a bit of surprise if not.

lyspaere Fri 09-Jan-15 18:46:43

It may not be any more ridiculous (in some people's eyes) than the existence of a God but it is so offensive to women, to offer 7 virgins in heaven as a reward.

I wish they'd captured those brothers without killing them. I would have preferred to know that they were encarcerated until their old age and bored every minute of it.

Timetoask Fri 09-Jan-15 18:47:18

Please don't compare the subordination of women between Islam and Christianity. Two very different religions

Username12345 Fri 09-Jan-15 18:47:43

brokenhearted55a
Muhammed married a young child and had sex with her when she was 9.
Look up his wife Aisha.

So?

QweenCnut Fri 09-Jan-15 18:47:58

I used to think I would defend anyone's right to believe in whatever nonsense most appealed to them. but the 72 virgins/sugared almonds concept as a reward for murder is beyond me.

lyspaere Fri 09-Jan-15 18:48:02

Wow, the muhammed that we're instructed to respect is supposed to have had sex with a nine year old........

OxonConfusedDotCom Fri 09-Jan-15 18:48:09

To add to my point- gender segregation in mosques with women often excluded from the main area; body coverings. Why can't Islam modernise and outlaw this? Why SHOULD it ever be acceptable in the c21st? It is blatant discrimination to tolerate this, not cultural sensitivity.

SlaggyIsland Fri 09-Jan-15 18:48:42

Well I'm glad the tragedy in France has given people an opportunity to enjoy a spot of Islamophobia. FFS.

Cornettoninja Fri 09-Jan-15 18:49:26

I think it's part of Hadith, so not part of the Quran itself. The Quran is the literal word of god and hadiths are reports of things the prophet said (anyone more knowledgeable please correct me smile) I think they're still pretty open to translation and tend to be subjects of debates by scholars.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: