Talk

Advanced search

To ask what the problem is (The terrorists)

(117 Posts)
lemisscared Fri 09-Jan-15 17:32:53

Because i just don't know. Have they got a genuine gripe? Why the hatred? What do they want to achieve? Honestly, shouldn't people be sitting round a table and making concessions on BOTH sides?

I am terrified which is probably daft but in Syria and other countries that im embarrased to say i don't know, people are being massacred daily and the West bats not an eye. They live with terror every day - how can we make it stop?? Not just here, but everywhere?

If there is a God, whoever's God you are, now would be a good time to intervene because i can't help but feel that the whole world is turning on itself.

Can somone please explain this to me, possibly from the point of view of the Islamists behind these attacks, because they must feel justified in their actions, i don't believe that the route of the problem is evil.

I'm just scared

LurkingHusband Fri 09-Jan-15 17:38:32

If there is a God

There isn't.

BMW6 Fri 09-Jan-15 18:00:49

Well, as I understand it it appears that Sunni Muslims believe anyone who isn't a Sunni Muslim or takes the piss out of Islam deserves to be killed, and some of them are carrying out that as a directive from Allah/Muhomed.
Apparently Shiah Muslims don't believe that bit so the two branches hate each other.

I read the Koran once and it was every bit as confusing and contradictory as the bible....hmm

JohnQuig Fri 09-Jan-15 18:03:08

Basically they don't have a sense of humour and they're fucking lunatics.

lyspaere Fri 09-Jan-15 18:05:37

Why do they hate the west and westerners so much? it's upsetting.

They've been indoctrinated so young. But I'm back to the why again. Why indoctrinate young people to hate ?

Goingintohibernation Fri 09-Jan-15 18:05:42

They are evil. You would have to be to do what they have.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 09-Jan-15 18:06:00

They have a very skewed idea about what Islam is and they're just as loony as those American baptists from Wstboro who agree with murdering doctors and nurses who carry out pregnancy terminations. They picket funerals of gay celebrities with placards saying 'God hates gays'.

I'm mentioning them because they're from a progressive democracy and if you can get fundamentalist nutters there then you can have some appreciation of why a very backwards society who has issues with repression, dictatorship and deeply ingrained mysoginy can go that way - and I must stress there's not very many Al Quaeda.

GrandTheftQuarto Fri 09-Jan-15 18:06:37

They value respect for Muhammad over the benefits of allowing people to disrespect Muhammad. It's no more confusing/contradictory than any other belief really.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 09-Jan-15 18:07:02

And they hate the West because frankly they've been exploited and bombed the shit out of for quite a while - and some of it was illegal and didn't have the backing of the UN.

GrandTheftQuarto Fri 09-Jan-15 18:08:36

It's always only a small subset of people who believe in something strongly enough to kill/be killed off their own bat (rather than as part of an organised army, I mean) but I see no reason to believe that being part of that group necessarily means they're evil or lunatics.

RandomNPC Fri 09-Jan-15 18:09:35

Just what are we supposed to do in Syria? Military intervention? Worked well in Iraq. Bomb the bad guys, whoever they are this week? Caused a complete nightmare in Libya.
Diplomacy? With who, ISIS?
IF you want to try and this nightmare, sooner or later you're going to deal with Saudi Arabia, who funds a lot of it. But they're OUR psychopaths, aren't they?

lyspaere Fri 09-Jan-15 18:10:05

I wonder why they think it's reasonable for Christians, Jewish people, non-muslims and others to respect Mohammed. I mean I don't plan to disrespect anybody's beliefs but if I respected Mohammed then I'd be Muslim. Can't they see that for non-muslims everything is up for observation and discussion. Why does it offend so much if a non-muslim doesn't view Mohammed in the same way that a muslim does. That should be just logical.

Theboodythatrocked Fri 09-Jan-15 18:10:32

Totally Lauries post.

Evil lurks behind every religion as does great good.

And just like santa and the tooth fairy there is no god.

He was invented to ensure some man somewhere has power and control over all his female followers and most of his males.

JohnQuig Fri 09-Jan-15 18:11:59

If we get rid of all religion, or take away its powers (special laws and accepting it) then we won't have a problem.

Islam is a horrible religion, same as Catholicism, Christianity and any religion. They all cause wars and indoctrinate hatred against certain groups.

BackOnlyBriefly Fri 09-Jan-15 18:12:09

GrandTheftQuarto would you say murdering a dozen people is a sane response?

GrandTheftQuarto Fri 09-Jan-15 18:14:05

I couldn't say BOB - it could be a perfectly sane response to kill dozens of people if you have certain precepts and beliefs. I'm not saying it's not abhorrent, I'm saying it's unhelpful to put it solely on these individuals being "mad" or "evil" rather than accepting we have societal problems.

sebsmummy1 Fri 09-Jan-15 18:14:26

They are pissed off that Israel was gifted to the Jews by Britain after WW1.

lemisscared Fri 09-Jan-15 18:16:59

oh. so no one actually can tell me what the issue is then?

thelittlebooktroll Fri 09-Jan-15 18:17:24

I wonder if the criminal thug element is also an ingredient here. Young probably poor uneducated men with few prospects just full of hatred having their moment. Their very own violent video game. Just for a day or two the whole worlds eyes are on them. Scary that this could be tempting for others who are watching.

RandomNPC Fri 09-Jan-15 18:18:06

There isn't one issue, that's just simplistic.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 09-Jan-15 18:18:51

The Koran and the Bible are interpreted by all sorts of people who skew it to their own prejudices.

There are 2 passages in the Old Testament that could be interpreted if you're an idiot/homophobic/full of hate as anti-gay.

To anyone with half a brain they're not of course - and the New Testament has far more to say about love than anything.

The point is that if you were a wanker you could interpret your washing machine instructions as anti-whatever. It doesn't make it true.

BMW6 Fri 09-Jan-15 18:21:57

OP - the issue is that they believe they are doing the will of Allah.

OK now?

Pensionerpeep Fri 09-Jan-15 18:22:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IamTitanium Fri 09-Jan-15 18:23:38

lem
No one is able to tell you the actual issue, I don't know, I am sure the issue between different fanatics differs also.

lemisscared Fri 09-Jan-15 18:23:57

no not really. i was Trying to understand

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now