Talk

Advanced search

To think comparing autism to Mark 9 14-29 is nothing short of fucking offensive?

(31 Posts)
ImBatDog Fri 09-Jan-15 16:41:41

Someone just posted in a support group i use to talk about my DS's ASD/SPD to say read Mark, Chapter 9, vs 14-29. I think its like an autistic child.

I'm rather offended, but apparently i shouldnt be?

the relevant bit of the passage for those of you not familiar with it
17 A man in the crowd answered, “Teacher, I brought you my son, who is possessed by a spirit that has robbed him of speech.
18 Whenever it seizes him, it throws him to the ground. He foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth and becomes rigid. I asked your disciples to drive out the spirit, but they could not.”
19 “You unbelieving generation,” Jesus replied, “how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy to me.”
20 So they brought him. When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth.
21 Jesus asked the boy’s father, “How long has he been like this?”
“From childhood,” he answered. 22 “It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.”
23 “‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.”
24 Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”
25 When Jesus saw that a crowd was running to the scene, he rebuked the impure spirit. “You deaf and mute spirit,” he said, “I command you, come out of him and never enter him again.”
26 The spirit shrieked, convulsed him violently and came out. The boy looked so much like a corpse that many said, “He’s dead.” 27 But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him to his feet, and he stood up.
28 After Jesus had gone indoors, his disciples asked him privately, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?”
29 He replied, “This kind can come out only by prayer.”

AIBU to think that cannot be construed in any way other than offensive? She is comparing my child to someone possessed by a demon and saying autism can be cured by prayer...

TheFecklessFairy Fri 09-Jan-15 16:45:42

There are nutters around - and you have obviously come across one of them. Ignore the silly cow.

NorwaySpruce Fri 09-Jan-15 16:48:04

I wouldn't say it was offensive exactly, people believe all kinds of weird shit. You don't have to take them seriously.

I've heard people say biblical passages like the one above were likely to be a description of (misunderstood) epilepsy.

BMO Fri 09-Jan-15 16:48:07

The person in the story wasn't actually possessed by a demon. Maybe they were autistic or had epilepsy, but the people of the time did not have the knowledge to explain it other than "possession".

ImperialBlether Fri 09-Jan-15 16:48:12

That is incredibly offensive. She's in a support group? Does she have a child with autism or is she just there to bother everyone else?

YouTheCat Fri 09-Jan-15 16:49:23

Both my kids are on the spectrum. I wouldn't really find this offensive though it would see my sarcastic side rising rather strongly.

Samcro Fri 09-Jan-15 16:49:59

it is very offensive
I would be very sharp to anyone who talked like that near me.

BMO Fri 09-Jan-15 16:50:38

Demons and miracles aren't real. I would be generous and imagine the person is just trying to say "this is an example of a neurological condition being misunderstood in the past" rather than "Jesus cures autism".

SunnyBaudelaire Fri 09-Jan-15 16:50:58

just answer to her 'lol'

defineme Fri 09-Jan-15 16:54:37

As an atheist and parent of a child with asd, I would just think how ridiculous and mentally note not to take that person's opinions seriously. Wouldn't offend me though.

SaucyJack Fri 09-Jan-15 16:56:05

I think it's a bit weird to post it on an ASD group, when it seems very likely to be a description of a person with epilepsy.

I'm not offended tho. I don't think he actually meant your child is demonically possessed. Rather just looking for historical references.

Jessica85 Fri 09-Jan-15 16:56:54

I think that when I was studying this passage for GCSE I was told that some people believe Jesus was curing someone with a mental health problem in the same way he cured people with physical health problems and described it as a demon because people in that time didn't understand about mental health problems.

I wouldn't be offended, but I don't understand how that passage would help you though.

ouryve Fri 09-Jan-15 16:58:10

I'd ask which bit of the DSM-V or ICD-10 criteria foaming at the mouth comes under. All serious, like. With this look on my face hmm

ItsAllKickingOffPru Fri 09-Jan-15 16:58:40

I would assume they lacked critical thinking skills and a knowledge of history.

Or ask them where I could find this Jesus bloke and how much he charges, if I was in the mood to gently poke a thicko.

Dawndonnaagain Fri 09-Jan-15 16:58:48

“This kind can come out only by prayer.”
So not love, support, help, kindness then.
Yes I find it offensive, thick, patronising.

TheFirstOfHerName Fri 09-Jan-15 17:00:35

When we visited a friend's church a couple of years ago, our children went out for part of the service into the relevant children's groups. I had briefly spoken to the leader of DS2's group before the service to let her know about his SEN, but she seemed v.positive, so we went ahead and dropped him off in the group. After a couple of minutes he seemed settled and happy, so I left. When I picked him up at the end, he seemed a bit pissed off. It turns out the group leader had told him that if he prayed hard enough, he would be cured of his autism. We have always been very positive about his autism, framing it as a difference, and he sees it as an important and intrinsic part of his identity, so you can understand why he was so cross.

strawberryshoes Fri 09-Jan-15 17:01:41

YANBU

stickingpoint2 Fri 09-Jan-15 17:02:17

My Mum as a child was told faith could cure her epilepsy. She told this 'helpful' person:
a. They were talking crap and
b. She already had faith.
She was offended, and has always considered they meant it offensively (saying her faith was less or such) so YANBU

Icimoi Fri 09-Jan-15 17:02:56

Well, I suppose it could just be a fairly thick attempt to say "Do you think the reality is that this child could have been autistic" without any suggestion that your child is possessed by demons or that he can be cured by prayer. But it's rather an odd perception that autism is characterised by foaming at the mouth and becoming rigid.

ChocLover2015 Fri 09-Jan-15 17:17:34

I would thank her but remark that unfortuantely a) you don't live in Israel and b) You've missed the boat by about 2000 years.

Aeroflotgirl Fri 09-Jan-15 17:30:33

Yanbu, the person should not have posted that at all. This is ambigous, it might not have been about an autistic child, but a child who had any manner of illness. In the times it was written, little was known about disability. This is a biblical extract, so yes a very long time ago, so not relevant really. Please don't take it personally.

Aeroflotgirl Fri 09-Jan-15 17:33:24

I say this as somebody of faith and a parent of a child with ASD and developmental delays.

FastWindow Fri 09-Jan-15 17:36:56

The woman is an idiot. How exactly was that meant to be helpful or supportive??

pru poke a thicko I do this. It gives me unethical pleasure.

chinam Fri 09-Jan-15 17:38:20

I wouldn't find it offence because it is as plain as day that the person who posted the verses doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. I would pity their ignorance tbh.

Islander79 Fri 09-Jan-15 17:39:38

Yanbu. Someone wants to say that to me about my son, they can watch me foam at the mouth as I spit out all my best swearwords.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now