Talk

Advanced search

MI5 has warned the threat of a UK terror attack is increasing - AIBU to be afraid?

(345 Posts)
NotYouAgainLorna Fri 09-Jan-15 11:35:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotYouAgainLorna Fri 09-Jan-15 11:36:44

TheLittleRedHen Fri 09-Jan-15 11:39:37

<fingers in ears> LA LA LA LA can't hear you

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 09-Jan-15 11:40:25

They always have been.

Sky news is just sensationalising as usual.

NorwaySpruce Fri 09-Jan-15 11:42:31

The risk is what it is, I'm not particularly concerned. Probably because I can't do anything about it.

The article does read like a public pitch for more money/resources really, and I think that was pretty much the point of it.

NotYouAgainLorna Fri 09-Jan-15 11:43:23

loiner45 Fri 09-Jan-15 11:44:30

I lived and worked in London all through the IRA bombings in the 70's and 80's, frequently had to go back to the office for a few hours when the underground was closed.

I live outside London now but work occasionally in a london office - I won't let it stop me just going about my normal life. Statistically I reckon I'm more likely to get involved in a car crash than a terrorist attack, it doesn't stop me driving, even late at night and in bad weather.

Amrapaali Fri 09-Jan-15 11:45:12

The horror of Charlie Hebdo is still fresh in our minds and the Chief of MI5 very conveniently chooses this time to ask for "more powers" in fighting off terrorism. More powers = gradual erosion of civil liberty.

TheLittleRedHen Fri 09-Jan-15 11:45:23

Though seriously - what are you going to do? Not go to work? Move into the countryside and live in a hut?

It is scary and I remember when the bombings happened in London before that I fully expected there to be similar bombings in other cities not long afterwards, but that's years ago now.

The thing with it all is that it's individuals hiding behind a religion and short of going all Hitler on Muslims - there's not very much we can do to totally eliminate the threat and we all know what a ridiculous idea that is!

All that we can do is to keep on carrying on and hope that they're wrong.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 09-Jan-15 11:45:40

Al qaeda have always been wanting to attack us. They haven't suddenly decided to.

Sirzy Fri 09-Jan-15 11:46:21

There is always going to be risk. But other than being vigilant there is nothing we can do to stop that risk. That is down to the intelligence agencies who generally seem to be doing a pretty good job but of course can't stop everything.

If you let yourself worry too much you would never do anything or go anywhere. And then the terrorists have won.

cubedmelon Fri 09-Jan-15 11:47:01

I worry about this too. We live well away from the Capital and about 15 miles from a city but my DH travels a lot for work and it crosses my mind a lot. Not a lot we can do about it other than remain vigilant and informed. I guess we are lucky to have such good intelligence.

LongDistanceLove Fri 09-Jan-15 11:48:01

I don't think you are being unreasonable to be worried because it is worrying on the face of it.

But what can you do? Stop living your life and just lock yourself at home with ration packs? Or not succumb to this, not let these fanatical cunts control what you do or where you go? Not let these people scare you? I'm sure mi5 know a lot more than the public will ever know, and they will do all they can to prevent something from happening.

Bowlersarm Fri 09-Jan-15 11:49:52

It leaves me feeling unsettled too, OP. It doesn't help my fear of flying too much, either. Everyone should be a little extra vigilant and maybe that will keep foiling plots. I don't think London is a sole target, any town/city is at risk. Sorry if that's all a bit doom and gloom, but I do find it scary.

Hamper Fri 09-Jan-15 11:51:09

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen it.

I do worry but try not to. Dh works in London but I am in a village. I think he is more at risk and I do keep an eye on the news and dread the day the news comes through. Dh is more laid back about it. But then, I am a worrier!

CaffeLatteIceCream Fri 09-Jan-15 11:51:44

Your statistical chance of being harmed in a terrorist attack is extremely slim.

A bit like the lottery odds...someone will win, but it's so unlikely to be you that it's barely worth taking part.

Being worried is not unreasonable - being anxious to the degree that it's affecting your day to day life is.

Amrapaali Fri 09-Jan-15 11:52:20

This maybe one of my half-baked theories, but the spate of attacks in France seem to point not to idealogical terrorism, but the disenfranchised poor hiding behind religion.

More of a social phenomenon. Remember the 2005 French riots? It looks like there is a right-wing bias and ghettoization of immigrants in France than over here.

emotionsecho Fri 09-Jan-15 11:56:18

The threat level was raised to severe in August and has remained at that level ever since, so you have been going about your day to day life all that time without, presumably, being overly afraid?

The appalling incident in France is just about the only news on the TV at the moment and on the back of that it is expected that politicians and the security services must comment on the current state of play in the UK.

Agree with Amrapaali we must be careful not to let a culture of fear erode our civil liberties sold to us with the tag-line of "making us safer".

MuddhaOfSuburbia Fri 09-Jan-15 11:58:44

what Amrapaali said

July 7th bombings, I was devastated. OH was in town, all the phone lines went down, and I loaded the kids in the buggy and walked from Nunhead to Vauxhall to meet him. the next day I was planning our Move Out

still here though. I can't say it never occurs to me, because it does. Often.

you just get on with it, though though I try very hard not to think about DS going through a mainline station twice a day

NotYouAgainLorna Fri 09-Jan-15 11:58:48

TheBitterBoy Fri 09-Jan-15 11:59:27

I work in the water industry and our advised threat level has been at severe for at least the last 12 months. Obviously recent events have brought this more to the forefront of the media, but security has been tight for quite a while.

sebsmummy1 Fri 09-Jan-15 12:02:05

Look it's going to happen and people are going to die. They will try their hardest to prevent mass loss of life but all it is going to take is a bunch of terrorists marauding through Bluewater or a packed commuter train and we are talking 100s of casualties.

I think we are a product of a very safe era. You only have to go back 100 years and death was a regular occurrence, it was expected and people developed a robust attitude to deal with it. Now we are extremely lucky to have fabulous health care, vaccines, no wars that require our husbands and sons to die for their country, so we have no coping mechanism and we are scared.

I am scared, I want my loved ones to be safe, but there is nothing I can do to ensure it.

lem73 Fri 09-Jan-15 12:02:16

I feel unsettled about it. We live in the London area and I think the chances of it happening in London are higher. However I am not really worried about it happening to my friends and family. The chances of that are tiny. I do feel the likelihood of an attack is very high and someone's family will be hurt and that is a horrible thought.

dreamingbohemian Fri 09-Jan-15 12:03:33

The media says these things to make money. The threat has been there for years. We have very good intel agencies and they are watching a lot of people, have foiled many attempts.

It's important we all try not to panic, otherwise we'll just have more terrorism of a different kind, ie people bombing mosques and such (as has already happened in France). They are doing these attacks to provoke us and make us afraid so the best counter-strategy is to just go about our lives and not overreact.

LokisLover Fri 09-Jan-15 12:03:41

I think places like Westfield are at risk. All those people on a Saturday worshiping the great god of consumerism.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: