Talk

Advanced search

To expect child airfare not to be more than adult fare

(15 Posts)
montysma1 Fri 09-Jan-15 10:26:05

Just that.
Flybe. Glasgow to Belfast £42 return. Child £68.
Or is this standard?

MsVestibule Fri 09-Jan-15 10:29:30

I have never heard of that before! The budget airlines normally charge the same for every seat, regardless of age.

TheGonnagle Fri 09-Jan-15 10:31:00

Is that a reduced adult fare in a sale? Perhaps there is an online error where the child pax hasn't been discounted. I would ring flyby for clarification, as that is a glaring error.

montysma1 Fri 09-Jan-15 10:41:08

Phoning is easier said than done and the email link keeps saying its temporarily down.

Have been speaking to them on FB but its like drawing teeth.
The break down page makes it look like the difference is in the taxes, but they say it isnt, they say the difference is in the ticket price!!!
Even so, there still appears to be a £7 fuel levy on children not adults on the return leg!

But why would they make child seats dearer?

I would be glad if anyone has time to click glasgow belfast flights any mon out fri return in feb choosing the cheapest fares, then look at the underlined charges link where it is supposedly broken down.
I think I am going mad.

montysma1 Fri 09-Jan-15 10:42:32

Yes it is a sale. Do you think only adults are in the sale? How odd.

LLJ4 Fri 09-Jan-15 11:18:50

Sector 1 - Glasgow Intl. to Belfast City
AdultChildInfant
Government Charges & Duties GBP13.00 GBP13.00 ---
Airport Fees & Charges GBP16.77 GBP28.37 ---
Fuel Surcharge GBP7.00 GBP7.00 ---

Sector 2 - Belfast City to Glasgow Intl.
AdultChildInfant
Government Charges & Duties GBP8.40 GBP13.00 ---
Fuel Surcharge GBP0.00 GBP7.00 ---

In the Glasgow to Belfast leg, the tax is the same, but the airport fee is nearly double for the child.

In the return leg, there is no airport fee (?!) and the tax is more for the child, and the adult isn't being charged a fuel surcharge.

Whut?!

Trooperslane Fri 09-Jan-15 11:27:30

Can you do international instead? Always find squeezyjet cheaper

Trooperslane Fri 09-Jan-15 11:27:57

misses point entirely

MinceSpy Fri 09-Jan-15 11:30:05

Have a look on skyscanner, Easyjet look a lot cheaper. Airport fees are set by the airport.

LongDistanceLove Fri 09-Jan-15 11:37:48

Have a look around, but clear your cookies and use incognito browsing, it makes a difference to price.

montysma1 Fri 09-Jan-15 11:39:38

See, thats what I took from it too.......that its the taxes and charges that make the children dearer.

Hower the slightly useless person on their fb page who is the only person i can contact says that the taxes are all the same, its the FARE thats different. So i then concluded tha
that "airport fees and charges" had to include the fare as thats the only thing that makes sense?
However, the return belfast to glasgow doesnt fit with that, and as you say, there is fuel levy on children not adults!

Have asked for explaination of the above.
Also asked that if in fact it is the case that child fare is higher, then how is that justified.
I dont expect kids to be cheaper. Happy to pay the same as adult fare. But not MORE surely?

Glad its not just me that cant make sense of their little table. So much for transparency.!

Norfolkandchance1234 Fri 09-Jan-15 11:40:36

All child seats are full price from the age of 2 when they can no longer sit on your lap.

montysma1 Fri 09-Jan-15 11:48:56

LLJ, everything you say is what I concluded from that table too! I think i am going mad. So much for transparency of pricing.!

But their facebook person (the only human i seem to can contact) insists that its the fares that differ not the taxes! Cant figure that at all.

I dont expect kids to be cheaper, happy to pay adult fare. But not MORE surely!

Belfast internaliDiane - So you don't feel that those families that don't qualify but are still struggling du to Westminster's Austerity agenda deserve any help.... And your quite happy to subject children to a stigma attached society where they may feel locked down upon from a young age or worse still bullied?onal is just a bit far out. Probably need a taxi as wont get a lift (elderly relative visit) so city airport easier and cheaper to get to and from, hence flybe and not easyjet.

montysma1 Fri 09-Jan-15 11:49:56

Sorry to double post. Thought the first one had vanished.

montysma1 Fri 09-Jan-15 11:52:17

Er.............sorry i am going mad.........my second post above seems to contain random text on a different topic, that i didnt type??? WTF?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now