Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to give just 8 days notice for a birthday party?

(9 Posts)
HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Thu 08-Jan-15 23:43:09

This is a very frivolous AIBU!

DD was 4 at the very beginning of January. Nursery school started up again the other day. Between Christmas, New Year, visiting family, illness, and an impending house move, I have promised her a birthday party but I have no idea when it could be. Literally every day since her birthday has been booked solid with travelling etc. She did have a little party with cake at my parents' house but she is desperate to have one with a couple of friends from nursery.

We are supposed to get the keys to our new house next week, and move the week after that. But I think I'd better have this party next weekend. Because the weekend afterwards we will be in an empty house surrounded by boxes, plus it will be nearly 3 weeks since her actual birthday!

I don't want to do anything big or expensive. I just want to have ~8 children around for cake and pass the parcel. I can keep the sitting room and kitchen looking habitable and focus all my packing on the bedrooms, I'm not worried about that.

But I'm not British and sometimes I worry I'm committing a terrible social faux pas, so please - reassure or chasten me - is it ok to give out invitations tomorrow (Friday) for a small 2 hour long tea party the following Saturday (8 days later)?

EvianBaby Thu 08-Jan-15 23:45:46

I think it's fine, and I am the type of person that sends invites out about 6 weeks in advance! If we received one for the following weekend I would accept, if we could make it. It wouldn't discourage me, although maybe be aware that people may have plans. Good luck with everything!

clary Thu 08-Jan-15 23:46:41

Yes it's fine.

DS2 got an invite yesterday for a party on Saturday week.

Some people may be busy but if they are not I am sure they will be happy for an January (dead time!) Saturday afternoon distraction!

seesensepeople Thu 08-Jan-15 23:47:45

That would be fine, some people may be unavailable but those who are free will just accept. Not a problem.

Lalalalandlord Thu 08-Jan-15 23:50:20

I got 18 hours notice of a party once from a friend who thought she could get away with a family small party at home and then bowed to pressure of expectations last minute and organised a soft play party for half the class for the next day!
8 days is plenty! Some people may be busy but this time of year is quiet for weekend plans so you should get a good turn out

SaucyJack Thu 08-Jan-15 23:50:55

It's fine. Honestly, most parents are well-mannered types who RSVP and attend if possible and you'll soon draw up a shitlist of the ones who aren't

Lalalalandlord Thu 08-Jan-15 23:52:51

Oh and just realised the party invite I accepted today is for the 17th which is your proposed party date so 9 days notice, see I didn't even bat an eyelid. Hope your DD has a lovely party smile

Flomple Thu 08-Jan-15 23:53:58

Fine. It's nice actually, gives a chilled out vibe!

We've also been to parties weeks or months after the birthday and that's fine too, if less popular with your DD I'm sure!

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Fri 09-Jan-15 00:23:13

Great! Thank you all!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now