Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to hope I wont catch it?

(15 Posts)
MicrochipsAndMemories Thu 08-Jan-15 21:58:26

Poor ds (8 months) was at the hospital all day today with suspected gastroenteritis sad We took him to the doctors who made us go straight to children's a&e because he was bringing up yellow bile and not drinking anything, he drank 7 ounces almost as soon as we entered the hospital (why are they always magically better when you go through those magic doors, sure they thought we were lying) and kept it down but also did the most disgusting nappy ever!!! They checked his urine and said he was fine and to just keep him hydrated.
When we got home my wife was very sick with both d&v and has spent the evening either resting or in the bathroom sad
What are the chances I can manage to skip it? please don't say I'm doomed sad

GlitteryLipgloss Thu 08-Jan-15 22:15:30

I hate those bugs confused

Get the antiseptic wipes out and wipe everything! Bleach toilet after every use. Wash hands!

Don't forget to wipe door handles, light switches, mobile phones, keys, anything you will touch.

Hope your family feels better soon

redexpat Thu 08-Jan-15 22:17:34

Dont forget the taps and Loo flush.

Lucylouby Thu 08-Jan-15 22:20:13

Dd had gastroenteritis a few years ago, went on for a week or so. Ds and I avoided it completely. Fingers crossed for you.

merlehaggard Thu 08-Jan-15 22:28:21

You are not doomed. We have often had sickness bugs in our family with only one or some members getting it. Also, we often get differing degrees of it eg my husband might just feel sick but nothing else.

To be honest though, I sometimes think the worrying about it is worse than actually getting it. If you get it, it's over soon, you deal with it and will be better soon. Also, at least your wife should be better soon. Keep towels separate, house as aired as possible, bathroom cleaned after use, wash hands often etc. Obviously not easy with a baby too. Best of luck.

Loletta Thu 08-Jan-15 22:28:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Loletta Thu 08-Jan-15 22:29:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PacificDogwood Thu 08-Jan-15 22:31:38

Never mind anitbac - wash your hands: under running warm water with soap and with plenty of rubbing.
Get everybody to wash their hands regularly.

Norovirus (winter vomiting bug) does NOT get killed by anti-bacterial sprays/wipes etc.

Wash your hands.
Good luck.

Haggisfish Thu 08-Jan-15 22:34:47

I wouldn't go overboard with bleach etc either. Basic hand hygiene and no sharing drinks. We often have kids getting tummy bugs but we are fine. Fingers crossed for you!

MicrochipsAndMemories Thu 08-Jan-15 22:39:25

We've all been washing hands and trying to keep everything clean. We're actually away from home at the moment, visiting the mil. We were supposed to be going to Oxford to visit friends for 2 nights today but that went out of the window. Mil seems to be OK too, no signs of sickness. I have UC and have a flare up at the moment too so really hoping I don't get it. I am sleeping in the living room tonight, DW and D's are asleep in the spare room at the moment, thankfully they are both managing to get some rest.

Towels and muslins have all been cleaned ready for another day.

nocoolnamesleft Fri 09-Jan-15 01:00:43

why are they always magically better when you go through those magic doors, sure they thought we were lying

I wouldn't worry about that. As I have said what feels like many many thousands of times:

Babies/children have two main hobbies. The first is worrying their parents. The second is trying to make them look like liars. If they can pull off both in one day, they tend to feel really smug. Luckily, we tend to believe parents.

ithoughtofitfirst Fri 09-Jan-15 07:40:41

I don't think it's inevitable. Last time ds and dh had a tummy bug I washed my hands, bleached and disinfected the toilet after every episode, washed sheets and towels on 90, replaced hand towel several times a day and all other acts of neurotic cleanliness and didn't catch it. So worth the effort.

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Fri 09-Jan-15 07:55:39

D&V is not airborne so extra caution with hand hygine and cleaning will limit you getting it.

PacificDogwood Fri 09-Jan-15 07:59:41

There also seems to be a susceptibility thing going on about whether you're going to get it or not: I seem to catch every cold our DCs bring home, whereas DH get every stomach upset they have and I don't (even though I do most of the cleaning up after them. Weird).

Urgh, I really hope you don't get it so it does not set off your UC. Good luck, Microchips.

PacificDogwood Fri 09-Jan-15 08:02:39

Oh, and my theory about why babies/children are often better as soon as they rock up at the dr's or A+E?
Taking them out has helped - a bit of fresh air (even if it's just to and from the car), something different to see, being taken out of the house - they feel a bit better, their temp may be a bit lower and suddenly they drink/smile/act more normal.

Don't worry about it - children always show their parents up and HCP know how quickly DC change, for the better or for the worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now