Talk

Advanced search

Second day at nursery

(26 Posts)
Wherehasmysleepgone Thu 08-Jan-15 19:42:06

It's my ds second day at nursery and things seem to be going as expected, except tonight when I changed his bum he has developed really bad nappy rash! He is nearly ten months old and has never had this before so I assume it must be something they have used, nappies or cream etc!
The issue I have is that they didn't notify me, I was quite shocked by how sore his bum was and am disappointed how it seems to have been ignored/overlooked!

I have emailed them tonight to mention it but now wonder whether I am being unreasonable to think they should have told me?

In addition I have used sudo cream but is there anything else I could use to help calm it down?

Thank you

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 08-Jan-15 19:43:51

Maybe it has only come on since they did his last nappy? Could be unrelated tbh - is he cutting a tooth? Mine have all had horrendous bums whilst cutting a tooth and it would come on so so quickly.

Only1scoop Thu 08-Jan-15 19:45:41

To be honest dd was same age when she started nursery and had never had a nappy rash until. I spoke to them about really regular changes....and not using wipes and it never happened again.

Mammanat222 Thu 08-Jan-15 19:46:23

So his bum was fine this morning?

We've not had nappy rash here so I am not sure how quickly it develops?

Do you send him with nappies and cream?

Purplepoodle Thu 08-Jan-15 19:47:20

In the space of one nappy my son can go from fine to a bad rash. Have a word tomorrow. I love metanium for sore bums, it's magic stuff

LuckyLopez Thu 08-Jan-15 19:47:24

Not using wipes? How do they manage that then? confused

KnackeredMerrily Thu 08-Jan-15 19:49:08

Possibly something different they fed him? Watermelon poos burns my DS like acid

Anydrinkwilldo Thu 08-Jan-15 19:50:00

My ds1 only had his first bout of nappy rash at 13 months, it was horrific he has scars from it. We used the same nappies, wipes and cream as we always had and it wasn't there after one nappy, next nappy his bum was flaming red. I wouldn't presume it's the nursery's problem

KnackeredMerrily Thu 08-Jan-15 19:50:26

Metanium cream like yeĺlow clay is the best (not their everyday white one)

Riri85 Thu 08-Jan-15 19:51:42

Bepanthen might be worth a try!

Wherehasmysleepgone Thu 08-Jan-15 20:04:17

They changed him at 4 and by 6:10 it was red raw and pimply, is that possible it could have got that bad in that time?

No we don't take nappies and wipes in they provide them and I don't recognise the brand, we use a mix of pampers, Aldi and Tesco brand so i didn't think it would be an issue him using something different.

We do believe he is cutting s tooth, but he cut two when he was younger and had no troubles at all, is it possible to be different this time round?

He didn't really eat a lot of food today but what he had wasn't really that different to what we would feed.

Thank you for your quick replies smile

dietcokeandwine Thu 08-Jan-15 20:16:46

It could have come on that quickly OP tbh and as with anything else some babies become more prone to nappy rash than others. My eldest had such awful rashes he would literally be bleeding, my second never had any to speak of and my third (now nearly two) has occasional flare ups that can come on as quickly as your son's has.

10m is a classic time for rashes to start because many babies start teething in earnest around this stage...

That said, it's worth asking what they used on him, just in case he's had some kind of reaction, but it's entirely plausible that it's just a coincidental flare up.

Second the recommendations for either yellow metanium or bepanthen. Magic they are.

everyusernameisinuse Thu 08-Jan-15 20:47:11

Sometimes happens if the dirty nappy is left on the baby for a while - it irritates the skin. DS also got nappy rash on occasions following a day at nursery - and they were using the same products as us

SugarPlumpFairy3 Thu 08-Jan-15 20:51:05

Yes, it can come on that quickly. All 3 of mine have suffered badly with nappy rash, especially when teething. It does normally occur if a dirty nappy has been left on, even after 10 mins it can start to burn. It would be worth mentioning but try not to 'accuse' as it could well be the wipes or him teething.

AmpleRaspberries Thu 08-Jan-15 20:51:19

My dd is 15 months. Never suffered with nappy rash, and never got it with the first 2 teeth she cut (that's all she currently has).

She is cutting her top teeth at the moment. On Tuesday she went to my mum's with no nappy rash, did one poo and started screaming. Her bum is so sore, I actually cried when I saw it, it looks like a burn. So it can come on that quickly. Bepanthen soothed it but didn't heal it any, so we got metanium which does seem to be working.

That said, if you're worried, the nursery should be able to tell you how often they changed him and yiu can ask them to put cream on.

FreeWee Thu 08-Jan-15 20:51:31

DD often got nappy rash from her childminder (posted elsewhere about this; it's the only gripe I have) so we switched to cotton wool and water and it all but went (isn't changed quickly enough or wiped quite as thoroughly but working on that!)

We used to use Metanium as a fixer but in the long run found Bepanthan every nappy change as being the best maintenance cream.

Wherehasmysleepgone Thu 08-Jan-15 21:13:22

They write down times of nappy changes in his book, they were 11.30, 1.50 & 4.20. The nappy as 1:50 was a poo others were wees.
I sent an email but wasn't accusing just said I was disappointed I wasn't notified but felt it could be the wipes and a reaction to them. Went onto say how happy I was with the nursery and girls working there so tried to be as pleasant as possible so as not to cause offence or be accusing. I honesty had no idea it could come on that quickly so will bear this in mind, thank you all for your comments.

Where can I buy metanium from? I usually use bepantham on him at night but will start to use daily too, although he is only at nursery two days a week so at least it has a good chance of clesring up before he goes again.

When I changed his bum he had done a poo and was more upset than normal so perhaps like you Ample it was caused by that poo, which was different to his normal poos.

Wherehasmysleepgone Thu 08-Jan-15 21:15:48

Should I not be using sudo cream?

afreshstartplease Thu 08-Jan-15 21:16:01

Metanium >bepantham

Metanium available in most supermarkets chemists etc

afreshstartplease Thu 08-Jan-15 21:16:48

Sudocrem I use for if the skin is a bit pink

Nasty rashes need metanium

WooWooOwl Thu 08-Jan-15 21:22:15

Sudocrem always worked brilliantly for us, I never even tried the others.

FamiliesShareGerms Thu 08-Jan-15 21:22:47

DD could go from fine to bleeding raw in under an hour - metanium was the only thing that helped

Worth mentioning to them in the morning (they may not have seen your email by drop off) and check which wipes / nappies they do use, just in case it's them

DarylDixonsDarlin Thu 08-Jan-15 21:30:22

Nappy rash can happen almost instantly it seems, and it can be caused by so many things, hopefully its just an unfortunate coincidence. Metanium works here to clear it up once its started, bepanthen or plain old zinc and castor oil cream is a good barrier.

Nappy rash has happened for us, due to strawberries being eaten, poo nappy being left on just a fraction too long, and not drying bum after wiping! But of all the times we've had nappy rash, about a third of them have been fungal nappy rash which needs antifungal treatment with a cream. So do keep an eye on it.

RainbowSpiral Thu 08-Jan-15 21:45:18

Acidic food like strawberries was the problem with my babies. Also sudocreme is not very good, metanium is better. If it's never happened before is it really likely to be wipes brand - I think if he was sensitive to things like that you would know.

KnackeredMerrily Thu 08-Jan-15 23:20:25

My DS first tooth came at 6 mo with no nappy rash. He was teething at 10 mo and it started a hideous bout of nappy rash, we had to go to the doctors for steroid cream. Looking back he was eating a lot of watermelon which i wrote above was an additional problem for him. I wish i had gone to plainer diet whilst he recovered amd teethed.

Nappy changes are more comfortable if you use skin temp warm water and cotton wool to wash him. We had to use alternate bepanthen and metanium to clear it up alongside docs steroid cream.

Lots of nappy off naked time is good too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now