Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed twelve year old was made to eat something she doesn't like

(146 Posts)
Itsgoingtoreindeer Thu 08-Jan-15 16:07:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

honeysucklejasmine Thu 08-Jan-15 16:09:47

When I taught food tech we let them modify the recipes. Whats the point of making something the family wont eat? What a waste of your money.

onthematleavecountdown Thu 08-Jan-15 16:10:14

Sounds a bit harsh, at 12 she knows what she does and doesn't like. If I was her id prob refuse to eat it and let the consequences be what they are. Bit of a rebel in my younger days smile Teacher doesn't have a leg to stand on.

DoctorDonnaNoble Thu 08-Jan-15 16:10:16

They shouldn't be forcing! That way lies all manner of issues. I'd raise it with teacher then if no joy the head of department.

Bowlersarm Thu 08-Jan-15 16:10:55

So every week she's being fussy about one of the ingredients? Annoying if you were the teacher.

muminhants Thu 08-Jan-15 16:11:19

I had similar problems in cookery lessons - nobody in my family liked pizza and I had to make it. Teacher was so scathing about my not eating it!

I see no problem with picking the food off. What would the school do if she refused to eat it? Put her in detention? I'd have something to say about that.

And why do flapjacks HAVE to have raisins?

Hoppinggreen Thu 08-Jan-15 16:11:32

I have a 10 year old with food issues. I very much doubt anyone could make her try something she didn't want to but I would be upset if she had ended up distressed by having pressure put on her.
On the other hand f it was just a case of encouraging her to try it but backing off when she said no thank you I would be fee with that.

squoosh Thu 08-Jan-15 16:11:48

I wouldn't ever put raisins in a flapjack as all right minded people know that dried fruit is rank. Bit odd that they can't modify the recipes to suit their taste, surely that's what learning to cook is all about.

Deux Thu 08-Jan-15 16:11:51

Good grief, it's hardly the end of the world.

GraysAnalogy Thu 08-Jan-15 16:12:01

They shouldn't be forcing her at all. That's ridiculous. I can't even imagine being at school and a teacher forcing anyone to eat anything confused it certainly wouldn't have happened in my class but we may have been more assertive.

Bulbasaur Thu 08-Jan-15 16:12:51

Are you paying for the class or providing the supplies? If yes, you might have weight when talking to the teacher.

If not, it's their food their wasting.

Still, I'd tell DD she doesn't have to eat something she doesn't want to, and the teacher may defer to you if they have a problem.

notonyourninny Thu 08-Jan-15 16:13:10

Thats just ridiculous. What difference does it make if she leaves those ingredients out? At 12 she knows what she likes and does not like, shes not a toddler.

GraysAnalogy Thu 08-Jan-15 16:13:12

I do understand bowlers point though, they might see her as the fussy one.

But deux it might not be the end of the world, but its throwing power around to try and force someone to eat something they don't like. Why would anyone do that? It's pointless and cruel.

notonyourninny Thu 08-Jan-15 16:13:26

Yanbu

Groovee Thu 08-Jan-15 16:14:10

It seems odd that they are eating in the class but when I was at school we took it home and my children bring theirs home.

I wouldn't stress too much at the moment as it's more a fussiness. If it was an allergy then I'd be annoyed.

browneyedgirl86 Thu 08-Jan-15 16:14:11

Why are the children having to eat what they have made? We didn't have to thankfully. That would have been my idea of hell!

I don't think yabu. Your daughter is 12 and I don't see how the school can enforce it.

Bowlersarm Thu 08-Jan-15 16:14:34

Does she like what they are cooking next week?

diddl Thu 08-Jan-15 16:14:46

I wouldn't eat a cheese, ham & tomato toastie!

I hate tomatoes in toasties!

Has to be mushrooms!!

as for raisins in flapjacks, that's OK.

But what's the point of baking to throw it away?

Surely that's a useful skill-being able to leave stuff out/substitute depending on what people like?

It would make more sense to teach the children how to modify recipes to suit different tastes. It would have been a good opportunity for the teacher to say, "OK - you don't like tomato, but you know it's a good idea to have some fruit or veg in your toastie or with it, so what are you going to do, to substitute for the tomato?" or "You don't have to put the raisins in - can you think of another dried fruit you like, that could go in instead?"

Bulbasaur Thu 08-Jan-15 16:15:30

On a personal note, I too hate tomatoes and raisins, along with some other common ingredients. I feel your daughter's pain.

notonyourninny Thu 08-Jan-15 16:15:56

Are you supplying the ingredients? If so just forget to put in non rssential stuff dd doesn't like. Toasties is not cooking anyway.

Itsgoingtoreindeer Thu 08-Jan-15 16:16:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Deux Thu 08-Jan-15 16:16:54

I don't think it does a child any harm to eat a tiny bit of something they don't like, assuming the consequences aren't a fatal allergy. It's not like it was tripe.

magimedi Thu 08-Jan-15 16:17:00

I don't think she should be mad eto eat things in a cookery class.

And I also think that making toasties is not exactly cookery for 12 year olds.

notonyourninny Thu 08-Jan-15 16:17:02

I wouldn't eat the ham and not keen on flapjacks with raisans.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now