Talk

Advanced search

neighbour doing work!

(11 Posts)
Dawndonnaagain Thu 08-Jan-15 13:47:46

Not bothered nor particularly interested. However, they are having their roofline cladded, again fine, but our garages are adjoining and he's had his half done. Would it not have been reasonable and polite, or at least nice to knock and say: 'look, do you want to chuck in a couple of hundred (or whatever sum) and we'll cover your garage too?'. It's only about ten feet in width, if that. My half looks bloody awful and I'm going to have to have it done. Just would have been so much easier.

mustgetabackbone Thu 08-Jan-15 13:51:18

So you wanted your neighbour to arrange for you to have work done to your house? What world do you live in? I live in a terrance house, I am getting my roof line done soon, shall I just get the workmen to do the whole street? Yabu

BadtzMaru Thu 08-Jan-15 13:55:44

He probably didn't want the hassle. It would be easy for it to turn into a massive pain in the arse involving neighbours if they start to argue about amount owed, how long it's taking etc. I would just get on with my own stuff and let my neighbour sort their own if they wanted it done to be honest.

Dawndonnaagain Thu 08-Jan-15 14:09:29

grin must no I didn't, I just thought it would be polite to ask if I wanted to pay for a small piece as he was having it done anyway.

OfaFrenchMind Thu 08-Jan-15 14:11:29

YABU, that is the key for a lot of unnecessary problems.

How much do you know them?

mustgetabackbone Thu 08-Jan-15 14:14:05

grin sorry Op, but tbh asking the neighbours wouldn't be on my mind!

Dawndonnaagain Thu 08-Jan-15 14:28:58

Fair enough. It's just that we live somewhere very quiet and rural, we have a summer barbecue every year and a christmas do, just for this road. Neighbours give me fruit and I make jam for everyone, another makes cakes etc. Nobody has been here for less than eight years.
I do have AS so know that sometimes my expectations can be a little 'off kilter'.

mustgetabackbone Thu 08-Jan-15 14:32:25

grin tell you what Op, make me some jam and I'll arrange your roofline to be done when we do ours wink

kawliga Thu 08-Jan-15 14:33:32

YANBU it would have been polite for your neighbour to knock on your door and tell you about the planned work. That would have given you an opportunity to raise the idea of having the whole roof done. You are not off kilter with this, after reading your description of the neighbourhood and the general friendliness.

MadamG Thu 08-Jan-15 14:34:11

We always get asked by both our sets of neighbours if we want our gutters doing when they do there's, same with re doing connecting drive and roof. I do the same back to both neighbours. It's only polite. Love my neighbours, helpful but not intrusive.

Hoppinggreen Thu 08-Jan-15 14:38:02

It would have been nice to have been asked, if they are having work done close to your property they probably should have told you out of politeness anyway.
I live on a cul de sac and when we had the trees at the back done we told all our neighbours and we clubbed together to get a group rate. Next door but one wouldn't as he had " a mate" who could do it cheaper, he actually wanted us all to use the mate rather than a qualified tree surgeon.
His trees look rather odd now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now