Talk

Advanced search

To call the council?

(17 Posts)
Kab13 Thu 08-Jan-15 08:28:32

We just moved into our first home. It's s good area and moved here for schooling.
We live in the middle of 5 terraced houses and when we arrived several of our family members commented on the boat our neighbours a few doors down are storing on the green opposite the terraced houses. Now although it shouldn't technically be there it didn't bother me all that much. However these people are using their front garden as a makeshift gym/dumping ground for various household items, chucking beer cans behind their boat and generally making a lot of mess.
I can't do anything about how they keep their front garden, it's theirs and they can put whatever they like in it but they have also dumped a mattress and various tip worthy items outside there garage. The garages are in a block and it's in the middle of them all- it looks really bad.
They have also dumped at the end of the terraces a bedsore cabinet, bags of rubbish in plastic bags that have been ripped open and done carpet.
They've put it all next to the bins, funnily enough the bin men didn't take it. Because it's not in bins and there's too much of it.
I was thinking to leave it a couple of weeks, maybe they plan on tipping it and just wanted it out of the way and then if nothing happens calling the council?
Nobody else seems to do this , it's just them and more than anything will attract rats etc. they appear to have put their bathroom bin waste out in a plastic bag that has been ripped open, there are now used tampons lying around on the path from the houses.
I feel bad, moving in and reporting people but we have (well my uncle to be fair) picked up rubbish scattered across the green- bottles etc and mowed it as it was overgrown and they appear to just be replacing it all.

Kab13 Thu 08-Jan-15 08:30:43

Several typos here- sorry! Very little sleep and can't use my iPhone properly- technophobe

Trickydecision Thu 08-Jan-15 08:55:09

Yes, call the Council.

honeysucklejasmine Thu 08-Jan-15 08:56:58

Eugh. Call the council today!

worldgonecrazy Thu 08-Jan-15 08:58:33

Why wouldn't you call the council? They won't know it's you, and the council will have to deal with it as used tampons represent a health risk. You need to report it as hazardous waste, not just fly tipping.

Kab13 Thu 08-Jan-15 09:00:40

I'm concerned they will know it's me. We just move in and all of a sudden the council are called. The tampon thing is really a step too far I agree, I seriously doubt anyone else if going to go near it to tidy it up- rightly so!

KnackeredMerrily Thu 08-Jan-15 09:02:17

I'd reporrt it today as fly tipping

gamerchick Thu 08-Jan-15 09:04:07

Yes call them they come out really quick.

Kab13 Thu 08-Jan-15 09:04:58

Gamerchick do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

MinceSpy Thu 08-Jan-15 09:05:02

Just report it as fly tipping.

ghostspirit Thu 08-Jan-15 09:05:59

im on the fence.. if they have been doing it for a long time and never been reported you move in then they get reported. they might guess its you that done it... you could just say there is a big mess thats been dumped but dont say that its your neighbour? maybe?

i can almost understand the bigger/house hold stuff. but not the beer cans and tampons no need for that yuk yuk yuk

FunkyBoldRibena Thu 08-Jan-15 09:06:50

Don't say you are a resident, but that you walk your dog nearby and it's just getting worse and have concerns about hazards as it has escalated recently. You won't have to give your name.

SistersOfPercy Thu 08-Jan-15 11:26:18

If you say you have seen a rat I think it gets prioritised.

lilachickory Thu 08-Jan-15 11:30:04

I second the rat thing, then its a threat to public health or somesuch and the council will have to investigate. If you just say it's messy then you might be waiting a very long time for very little to happen.

Musicaltheatremum Thu 08-Jan-15 11:32:35

Tweeting them a photo often works too.

EatShitDerek Thu 08-Jan-15 11:40:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ouryve Thu 08-Jan-15 11:43:15

Definitely call the council. The mess is an eyesore and filthy.

We had neighbours like this, for a while, and were glad when they moved out. They simply didn't give a shit about anyone else. They'd have various large vehicles, often with no tax (shame you can no longer spot and report that) parked randomly all over the road and pavement, on a corner, making turning out of our back lane a matter of taking our lives into our own hands (when it was even possible to get past) and we'd find ourselves tiptoeing around great clarts of mud (they completely churned up their garden parking flatbed trucks and vans on it) and horseshit, as well as used nappies and baby wipes when we walked past their house. They were utter pigs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now