Talk

Advanced search

to think we don't need a security camera in the house?

(15 Posts)
bumpertobumper Wed 07-Jan-15 22:25:35

DP has come home from work with a security camera to have inside the house so that he can 'keep an eye on it when we're away'.
I think it is a ridiculous thing to have, don't get the point. We already have an alarm. IF we were burgled I suppose there is a better chance of identifying the culprit but won't prevent anything happening.
He would like the "extra peace of mind and security ".

I am telling him not to take it all out of the packaging (so it is still returnable) until we have discussed further...
So, aibu to make him take it back?

bumpertobumper Wed 07-Jan-15 22:29:32

just to add, he is a geek, loves a gadget, it will be something else to fiddle with his phone 'managing it' while we are out and about...

FluffyRedSocks Wed 07-Jan-15 22:31:44

I don't think id like it, it reminds me of a criminal minds I once watched and it got hacked and.. Well if you know what criminal minds is like you know what happens next!

Very reasonable to leave it packaged until you made a decision together!

HansieLove Wed 07-Jan-15 22:32:21

Does he want to keep tabs on you?? That's the first thing I thought of. I would not allow it. Your house is not a prison with guards stationed watching their cameras.

bumpertobumper Wed 07-Jan-15 22:40:44

hansie, that is a creepy prospect but thankfully not something I worry about in our relationship.
But I suppose there is the thing of the principle of having CCTV inside my house, as is there isn't enough of the stuff everywhere else.

and fluffy, I haven't seen criminal minds, but do read lots of crime/detective books so can imagine...

CaptainAnkles Wed 07-Jan-15 22:42:54

I wouldn't allow it. Incredibly creepy to think that you'd have no privacy.

tiggerpigger Wed 07-Jan-15 22:44:43

I've got one in my office. It's brilliant. I can check we haven't been burgled while we're on holiday.

BrockAuLit Wed 07-Jan-15 22:45:01

My DF has this. I wouldn't allow it on principle, it's control freakery in extremis. Just because we can do something, doesn't mean we should.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 07-Jan-15 23:03:50

Unless he's pretty hot at network security I wouldn't be keen. How is he going to guarantee it can't be hacked?

MrsTawdry Wed 07-Jan-15 23:05:35

No way! outside yes...but why on earth inside? Ask him why he doesn't have a camera outside so any possible intruders can be seen BEFORE they get in. Why would you want to record them IN the house? Ask him that OP>

SaucyJack Wed 07-Jan-15 23:05:44

YANBU. You'll have to go and hide in the bathroom every time you want to pick your nose or squeeze a spot for starters.

Sallyingforth Wed 07-Jan-15 23:08:11

Put it just over your front door in a visible place to record all visitors approaching.
It will certainly improve security without spying on you inside.
But if it's connected to the internet you need to be very careful about security settings. Is he clever enough for that?

MistressDeeCee Thu 08-Jan-15 00:36:24

Id be really interested in a response to MrsTawdry 's question. Its perfectly obvious that someone with home security concerns would put a camera outside the property/facing outwards - Nobody would want to know about burglars once they're INSIDE the property.

So..how often is he planning to "monitor" whilst you are both away? (which is how often, by the way...? Do you travel away together very regularly?). Will he monitor hourly? every 30 mins? Every few hours? Thats be a lot of staring at an empty house, wouldn't it?

Then again OP I think you already know your DH wants to watch you while he's out, even if you aren't saying so. Its as plain as day.

TheHermitCrab Thu 08-Jan-15 01:20:14

I'd let him have his fun, but I'd be sticking sheets of paper over them while I'm at home! lol

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 08-Jan-15 17:09:04

I'm sitting at my desk giggling thinking of the fun you could have in a "Home Alone" sort of way, lots of cardboard cut outs and getting friends to sneak in wearing balaclavas. How many false alarms would you have to create before he'd rip it out again?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now