Talk

Advanced search

To think ensuites are unnecessary and a bit passé

(243 Posts)
Foolishlady Wed 07-Jan-15 19:48:34

Just bought a new house. 4 bedrooms but just one tiny bathroom. Dh wants to put an ensuite in the master bedroom but I think it will ruin the dimensions and isn't really worth it. I've never really got the appeal of ensuites- unless spacious they always seem a bit cramped and grotty, and the bathroom is only across the hall. I want to make a combined wet room and downstairs loo instead (we're doing an extension so there would be room) but dh says that's silly. So aibu?? Or is he?

dementedpixie Wed 07-Jan-15 19:50:11

I like mine so yabu

scarletforya Wed 07-Jan-15 19:51:22

Can you turn one off the bedrooms into a big bathroom?

Or do you need them all.....

ProbablyMe Wed 07-Jan-15 19:51:26

I'm happy to be passé then. I moved into my house just before Christmas and I love mine, no more sharing with teenage boys!!

Trills Wed 07-Jan-15 19:52:24

If the house has been built so that it's an actual ROOM then an ensuite can be a very useful and peasant thing to have.

In your situation I might not want to add one though - it depends on the shape and setup of the house.

CLJ52 Wed 07-Jan-15 19:52:31

I kind of agree with you. I'd rather have a larger bedroom and a nice bathroom than an oddly shaped bedroom and a poky en suite. I particularly hate en suites with no windows - not pleasant. It's okay if you're in a big house with loads of space.

Would turning one of the bedrooms into a dressing room and en suite an option?

DamnBamboo Wed 07-Jan-15 19:52:32

I think your sweeping statement that ensuite are unnecessary are UR.
How on earth could a newly refurbed ensuite be grotty?
You've clearly never seen a decent ensuite.

InfinitySeven Wed 07-Jan-15 19:52:44

I love mine, but it's big and it was originally planned into the house, so it didn't steal room from the bedroom. It's lovely.

Cabrinha Wed 07-Jan-15 19:52:46

I think you're unreasonable to say they're passé. Get, don't get, according to your preference.

Personally, I'd prefer a downstairs loo. Makes a second loo available to all, rather than having guests potentially traipsing through your bedroom!

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Wed 07-Jan-15 19:52:57

I like mine it's very spacious thou, but I have a bathroom and a downstairs toilet as well.
If I had a choice of an upstairs bathroom and and an ensuite or a downstairs bathroom, upstairs bathroom and no ensuite I would pick that thou.

PossumPoo Wed 07-Jan-15 19:53:02

Would love to have. A proper one though, not an old cupboard turned into one.

Bowlersarm Wed 07-Jan-15 19:53:02

YABU

I love our en suite. Don't have to queue up with the kids for the main bathroom. In the middle of the night just nip through a door. Don't have to worry about getting covered up if you have visitors. Don't have to make sure it isn't a mess, if you have visitors. You can happily potter between the bedroom and the bathroom.

I would think more than twice about buying a house without one now.

atticusclaw Wed 07-Jan-15 19:53:06

We all have them and its great. I think it will be even more great when the DSs turn into teenagers and want to either lock themselves into their bathrooms preening for two hours or else never venture in there and smell like compost heaps.

SlaggyIsland Wed 07-Jan-15 19:53:20

I love them. I actually hate staying at other people's houses due to no en suite. I feel like I don't get proper privacy without one.

FamiliesShareGerms Wed 07-Jan-15 19:53:22

He is IMHO - I don't understand the fetish for en suites, especially if it means the bedroom is poky as a result

ChickenMe Wed 07-Jan-15 19:53:29

I don't like them but they are good for when you have guests and for those with weak bladders grin

Euphemia Wed 07-Jan-15 19:53:33

Mine's bigger than the bathroom in our old house, so YABU!

I have mine all to myself and DH has the main bathroom - it's bliss.

DamnBamboo Wed 07-Jan-15 19:53:44

Like anything, I imagine some ensuites are pokey/grotty etc (like many houses, rooms, bathrooms, take your pic) and some are spacious and gorgeous. This is a rather pointless AIBU.

hiddenhome Wed 07-Jan-15 19:53:45

Ensures are awful. We have a small three bedroomed house and we have one. The bathroom is a reasonable size and perfectly fine for the four of us as we also have a downstairs loo.

I told dh that there was no way I was cleaning three toilets and don't even get me started on shower cubicles (horrible, difficult to keep clean things).

So, we use ours as a laundry drying room smile I have two rails fixed up and two drying racks in the shower for the underwear. I have my spin dryer in the corner and it's a great way of using the space. It even had a window that I can open to air everything. Perfect grin

atticusclaw Wed 07-Jan-15 19:54:05

Ours were original to the house though and are the same size as the main family bathroom

Waswondering Wed 07-Jan-15 19:54:42

I love ours, which is very grotty! But it's our space.

Cabrinha Wed 07-Jan-15 19:55:06

Also, passé sounds a weeeeeeee bit judgemental to me.
The question is fine if you're developing a property and want to follow fashions for a quick sale.
Otherwise, not a word I'd use.

But then I choose according to my needs, not according to what someone else thinks is old hat or not!

ToomanyChristmasPresents Wed 07-Jan-15 19:55:38

I thinks St people would side with your husband.

Typically, people like to bath/shower where they get dressed. And their clothes are typically in their bedroom, not diwnstairs.

iklboo Wed 07-Jan-15 19:55:43

There's no point for us. It's not like the bathroom is in another wing of the house - and we have a downstairs toilet / sink. I REALLY wouldn't want DH to use it & stink out the bedroom. We also are all up at different times so there's no clash for using it to get ready.

ToomanyChristmasPresents Wed 07-Jan-15 19:56:00

St = most

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now