Talk

Advanced search

January dryathon

(21 Posts)
Tigresswoods Wed 07-Jan-15 18:53:33

Sponsoring people to not drink alcohol?

Seriously?

I'm sure we used to sponsor people to do worthwhile challenging things.

Don't even get me started on Movember!

I know you'll come on here & say it's for a good cause but seriously how hard is NOT drinking? (Alcoholism aside)

krystellie Wed 07-Jan-15 19:01:17

Completely agree. I'm all for people raising money for good causes, but I'd be far more inclined to sponsor someone if they were actually pushing themselves by doing something outside of their comfort zone. Giving up drink for one month is hardly the same as a former coach potato completing a marathon...unless they're an alcoholic.

Plus the campaign encourages its 'athletes' to use JustGiving which keeps a very high percentage of donations for itself - far more than other online donation sites.

Tigresswoods Wed 07-Jan-15 19:03:06

So pleased I'm not alone.

Momzilla82 Wed 07-Jan-15 19:06:51

Agree. Especially when one of the people concerned is often posting photos of their excessiveweekly binges (think photos of glass of wine and snug status about how deserved it is from Wednesday- Sunday).

I just think for January they are probably saving more than the amount they are trying to raise in sponsorship on their booze bill this month.

krystellie Wed 07-Jan-15 19:14:11

I always thought the point was to donate the money you would typically spend in one month on going out to the pub / bottles of wine at home or in a restaurant, etc to Cancer Research, rather than asking people to sponsor you?

Mumoftwomonkeys1976 Wed 07-Jan-15 20:00:11

I've decided to do the female version of Movember - Fanuary (no wonder I'm single).

Whippet81 Wed 07-Jan-15 20:17:27

I'm glad it's not just me. You feel scare to say anything for fear of being slated as it's 'worthy' but honestly giving up a non-essential luxury for a month (I've just done it for nine) is not really a hardship is it (unless alcoholism issues obvs).

I don't mind people doing it as long as we don't have to have FB reports on how traumatic it is for them every day.

Tigresswoods Wed 07-Jan-15 20:42:12

Well krystellie my mate on FB was thanking her mum for the sponsorship. confused

OliviaBenson Wed 07-Jan-15 21:52:39

I've done it for the last 3 years, but thus is the first year a charity seems to have cottoned on to it. It's really annoying as when I mention it to people, it's the first question they ask. I'm then left saying no, I'm just doing it for me. Grrrr.

OliviaBenson Wed 07-Jan-15 21:54:00

Ps. I don't do annoying fb updates, I'm really doing it because I'm skint and need to lose the post Xmas bulge!

esiotrot2015 Wed 07-Jan-15 21:56:09

We have dieting woman at work
We're meant to sponsor her to diet

If rather sponsor a sick child in Africa....

Iggly Wed 07-Jan-15 21:58:38

I'm doing the dry Jan but certainly not for charity!
However I don't think sponsorship is that bad - charities are in need of funding due to government cuts, so if it helps and people want to sponsor then so be it. You don't have to.

SerenaJoy Wed 07-Jan-15 22:11:58

Yep it's bugging me too. I'm not going to applaud someone for giving up their nightly weekly bottle glass of rosé to make themselves feel worthy, and I'm certainly not sponsoring them to do it! If she got off her lazy arse and did something energetic I might consider donating a couple of quid, but that's not likely to happen.

Hm. I hadn't realised till now how much it irritated me grin

GokTwo Wed 07-Jan-15 22:15:28

I agree. Two things slightly bug me about it. One is giving money in sponsorship for someone not drinking and the other is that advert that makes out that a month without drink is SO challenging.

SerenaJoy Wed 07-Jan-15 22:17:01

To clarify - it's this stupid 'dryathlon' shite that's annoying me, not the people who are just quietly having a sober January smile

deadduck Wed 07-Jan-15 22:21:11

I'm quietly having a Dry January, but I sure as hell am not plastering it all over Facebook and coerce people to sponsor me. Very strange idea (and would be way too embarrassed if I fell off the wagon grin )

Treaclepot Wed 07-Jan-15 22:26:39

I disagree, because it raises awareness for the charity cancer research, gives them a lot of free publicity, and encourages people not to drink, which highlights to many that their drinking is a problem (head on over to the dryathlon thread to see what I mean). If people then drink less = less cancer too.

I am doing dryathlon not for money but for myself (drink too much), but the reminder that it is linked to a cancer charity is a weird motivator.

Treaclepot Wed 07-Jan-15 22:27:21

Ps I have not mentionned it on FB because who the fuck would be interested!

WooWooOwl Wed 07-Jan-15 22:31:47

YANBU, I was amazed anyone would ask to be sponsored just for not drinking alcohol. It's a non event, you may a sell ask people to sponsor you to eat a roast on a Sunday.

It's even worse than when people ask you to pay for their holiday by expecting sponsorship for some bike ride or walk in an exotic location. It's

Tigresswoods Wed 07-Jan-15 22:52:16

SerenaJoy, sorry for bringing it to your attention just how much this irritates you.
Drink?

SerenaJoy Fri 09-Jan-15 21:03:50

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now