Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask DH to spend his tax rebate on a holiday

(6 Posts)
superbagpuss Wed 07-Jan-15 12:19:04

Background: DH has income other then employment and keeps his tax for that seperate from the main family income, mainly to keep everything equal. Any profit made from this stream is put back into the venture with only his tax bill being any pesonal expense.

for the 13/14 year he has overpaid tax and will get about a grand back, this is kind of expected but I have just done his tax return and confirmed it.

AIBU to ask him to spend some of that on a cottage in the summer so our family can have a week away? We are planning a much bigger holiday from joint finances but a little week away would be lovely.

MagratsHair Wed 07-Jan-15 12:26:24

Suggest it & see what he says, yanbu

Letmeeatcakecakecake Wed 07-Jan-15 12:39:47

I don't see the harm in asking! It's always nice to spend a little bit of unexpected income on treating your family!

I'm due roughly £1.8k back as I've overpaid tax this year (I unexpectedly had to leave my job at the end of October) and I'm intending to spend every last penny of it on booking my family a lovely holiday at the end of August!

BoomBoomsCousin Wed 07-Jan-15 14:12:10

I think it's a little U. Though I'm also generally of the "can't hurt to ask" persuasion. By the sound of it, it's a small business that is bootstrapping. Taking a thousand out of that would be a big blow to its capital. It's a side venture with your DH already bringing a wage and you have enough money for a holiday anyway. On the other hand, there's not much point in making money if it's never going to be used to help you live life. So I think it depends really on whether you know how much difference the rebate will make to the venture and its short, medium and long term growth/stability.

superbagpuss Wed 07-Jan-15 14:23:21

boomboom - venture is safe, just needs a little capital to keep ticking over and just in case money - but not a lot

BoomBoomsCousin Wed 07-Jan-15 14:42:05

Well you know the vetnure and your DH's hopes for it, we don't. If the money isn't actually going to be useful to keep the venture safe or help it grow, what would your DH be using it for? If something for himself then YADNU to ask!

(BTW I like all this talk of ventures, sounds very super-secret-inventiony grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now