Talk

Advanced search

To buy puschair number four???

(20 Posts)
JulieRuin Wed 07-Jan-15 11:10:27

DS is 16 months old. I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 4th pushchair for him! Our life in pushchairs so far:

No.1 - Graco Evo travel system. I really liked this but as DS got older I wanted something lighter, easier to push, smaller fold, more space in car boot etc.

No.2 - Maclaren XT. Love this and great for everyday use. However we've recently moved from city to countryside and it doesn't cope well in fields, through woods, off-road etc (Evo doesn't either). and I want to make the most of our lovely new surroundings.

No.3 - cheap second-hand three-wheel jogger. In theory a good off-roader. In reality the wheels are a nightmare to pump and the damn thing is just too heavy and cumbersome. In short, I hate it. We only paid £50 for it

So what I want now is a new Out n About Nipper while the sales are on. DH is despairing of me but I think we do need it. Does it sound like I'm being frivolous? If I had a time machine I would have bought a BJCM GT from the start but its too late now!

We're in the middle of buying a house and I don't want to waste money but I'm at home with DS 6 days a week and want to be able to trek through the local country park with him!!

AIBU?

Helphelphelps Wed 07-Jan-15 11:14:07

I was going to say no way you crazy buggy lady, but then i saw you want to get an out and about nipper and i changed my mind.

It is seriously an amazing buggy. We have a double for childminding, but it's turned into our main buggy as it's so bloody fantastic. Easy to push, we can take it accross the forest no problems, comfy, loads of storage, easy to fold it isn't really that massive. I love it.

We got ours for £100 second hand from ebay, i wish i'd just bought it in the first place!

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Wed 07-Jan-15 11:22:10

Ds is 17 months, and I quite fancy a off roader as we have moved to the country side as well. But haven't even looked at them as I can't decide if it's worth it as we are going to ttc dc2, so requirements may change again.
I got a chicco umbrella fold with bouncy tyres thou not air filled for £5! As it was twisted and I fixed it, washed it and it's really good.
Can't find a bloody raincover to fit it thou.

flipchart Wed 07-Jan-15 11:25:31

Sell 2 and 3 and get a sturdy 3 wheeler.
I had a very light fold up for car to say, friends house or whatever and the other one for everything else.

JulieRuin Wed 07-Jan-15 11:25:34

If it helps decide I'm NBU, I am planning on selling the travel system in the next NCT sale!

I do feel like I am Crazy Buggy Lady sometimes...

JulieRuin Wed 07-Jan-15 11:28:36

I'd be lucky to get a tenner for 3! I think I'm better off selling 1, even though I'm v emotionally attached to it. 2 is the smallest so I think I'm best off sticking with that.

Rainicorn Wed 07-Jan-15 11:32:42

You're not a crazy buggy lady until you've gone into double figures.

Get the nipper, it's a great off roader.

Rainicorn Wed 07-Jan-15 11:33:42

And slime the wheels to prevent punctures. You get the stuff from most bike shops.

tomtomthepipersson Wed 07-Jan-15 11:35:00

I am a crazy buggy lady! Any buggy that makes your life easy with children is worth every penny. You can get such good ones 2nd hand. I have had lots of buggys and don't regret any of them. Am thinking of having another baby so I can use them again! haha

JulieRuin Wed 07-Jan-15 11:41:44

Off to Google wheel slime...

lljkk Wed 07-Jan-15 12:01:20

Slime didn't work for me, I think you're supposed to use exactly the right amount and I put in tonnes; it also destroys any existing puncture patches so you have to use it on brand new inner tubes only.

I got new tyres for my 3-wheeler at one point & that reduced punctures a lot.

£50 for a 3-wheeler is nothing! I read that the Nipper is about 220 quid new which isn't bad at all for something you will get major use out of & will have decent 2nd hand resale value. Does that include rain cover? Go for it, As long as you promise to declutter the travel system & keep the MacLaren for car/train journeys (also will have good 2nd hand value).

wheresthelight Wed 07-Jan-15 12:04:23

I have a fabulous off roader its the mamas and papas sport 03 and is amazing!! dd and I take it everywhere when walking the dog (although it was shit in snow). it has air tyres but they are huge and so far no punctures.

I paid about £40 on ebay for it and I love it

lljkk Wed 07-Jan-15 12:06:55

I had a sport03, lol. It was pretty good, too. And I could find replacement tyres when needed (as noted).

Helphelphelps Wed 07-Jan-15 12:08:09

I would disagree with the wheel slime recommendation (sorry!) ruined the valves in the tyres. Inner tubes are £5 from a bike shop, we keep a few spare, but have only had 1 puncture in 2 years.

Bambambini Wed 07-Jan-15 13:10:58

I had six but spread over two kids and over about 8 yrs and was very fond of 5 of them. The first and best, I truly loved! I miss my buggies and prams!

Bambambini Wed 07-Jan-15 13:13:43

The best was a mamas and papas 3 in 1 jobbie. Lived in town so did lots of walking and the suspension was amazing. We went for harder rubber tyres that didn't puncture. You can get great tyres that don't need to be the puncturing sort.

BarbarianMum Wed 07-Jan-15 13:18:44

Just make sure you've checked out all these lovely routes you're planning to take this buggy along to make sure stiles, squeezes, kissing gates and steep flights of steps aren't going to stop you short 100m from the car park. This was my sister's experience, based on which we had a McClaren (for town) and a backpack (for the country).

MiaowTheCat Wed 07-Jan-15 13:47:17

No one is ever unreasonable for getting a Nipper - greatest buggy I ever owned and if one came up as a single cheap enough I'd jump to get one again.

PartyintheKitchen Wed 07-Jan-15 13:50:53

The nipper is really an awesome buggy, it was my third (long story) for my DS and my most favourite one. If you live in the country then go for it, you won't regret it as it's a dream to use.

ispyfispi Wed 07-Jan-15 14:10:15

I spent nearly £500 on my dream pram but have barely used it as we sling everywhere now! BUT I bought a nipper sport on eBay for dog walking in fields/beach etc and it's amazing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now