Talk

Advanced search

To not give a refund regarding item sold on Gumtree?

(11 Posts)
thelittlefriendisawhinyshit Tue 06-Jan-15 20:44:19

I sold a steam carpet vacuum cleaner on Gumtree. I have used it recently and am confident it works etc. The lady I sold it through is now saying that it is not a steam vacuum (it is - it has a water barrell etc) and that I have sold it under false advertising.

I gave her an in depth tutorial about how it worked when she took a look at it and I answered all of her questions. I really need the money and sold it for an absolute snip of it's retail price. She is asking for a refund. WIBU not to give it to her?

Madlizzy Tue 06-Jan-15 20:46:01

Sold as seen. That's the risk you take on private sales as she can't prove it was missold.

CrapBag Tue 06-Jan-15 20:48:08

YANBU.

She saw it, got a demo, too bad if she has suddenly decided it's not what she thought it was. Convenient she decided that after she saw it, has probably cleaned her carpets with it first!

Yanbu, she saw it, agreed price and took it away - contract fulfilled on both sides.

LIZS Tue 06-Jan-15 20:52:39

Is it a vacuum though , does it suck up the residual water or just clean with steam .

thelittlefriendisawhinyshit Tue 06-Jan-15 20:53:04

Do you know, that is exactly what I thought Crapbag - that she has probably just cleaned all her carpets and now doesn't need it anymore. Like I said I've used it recently, it is in good nick, she said herself that it is not that it is not working. I think if she comes back to me I will tell her I will not give her a refund.

thelittlefriendisawhinyshit Tue 06-Jan-15 20:54:26

It sucks up all the dirty water into another container.

Aked Tue 06-Jan-15 20:56:10

She is trying it on. Its carpet cleaner, you don't need it everyday so why not get one as cheap as poss and then try and get your money back.Worst thing that can happen is she has to sell on.

Either that or it didnt clean as well as she imagined it would. Either way its not your prblem.

FreeWee Tue 06-Jan-15 20:59:07

Sold as seen with these things. Why don't you tell her to advertise it herself on Gumtree for the price she paid with a description she think fits it?

expatinscotland Tue 06-Jan-15 21:05:49

Sold as seen. Tell her to jog on.

StilleNachtCarolling Tue 06-Jan-15 21:19:53

Is it a steam cleaner? Usually the ones with the dirty water barrel are the ones that wash and then suck up the liquid afterwards - they don't steam clean though.

If you sold it as a steam cleaner and it isn't, in fact, a steam cleaner then you have sold on false pretences (even if you yourself thought it was a steam cleaner because it had a water barrel). You gave the lady a demo on how to use it but presumable didn't actually get the thing out and clean a carpet with it? What's the make and model of the cleaner?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now