Talk

Advanced search

About this teacher?

(21 Posts)
Snailinashell123 Tue 06-Jan-15 19:44:06

My dd had a supply teacher yesterday in drama. One of her friends asked her if she should take the paper register round to the office ( the supply teacher didn't have access to the online register) and the teacher replied "It's very cold out, why don't you let a boy go, they are so much stronger" AIBU to think this comment is rude, sexist

Snailinashell123 Tue 06-Jan-15 19:45:18

Oops, posted to soon. AIBU to think this comment is rude, sexist and belongs in the 1800s?

Alibalibumblebee Tue 06-Jan-15 19:45:52

I think its such a stupid thing to say its best left ignored.

wonderstuff Tue 06-Jan-15 19:46:22

YANBU, but unfortunately that is still the world we live in.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 06-Jan-15 19:46:54

How old is your DD?

My 12.6 yo DD would roll her eyes in a "Yeah, What ever way" and think he was winding her up.

maddy68 Tue 06-Jan-15 19:47:24

Yes it's sexist, however, jeeze you're worried about that?
It's probably been taken out of context too, the boy could we'll have been flexing his muscles saying how strong he was and she called him on it.

Andrewofgg Tue 06-Jan-15 19:48:13

70 I think the supply teacher was a she not a he. OP's dd asked her.

Lazymummy2014 Tue 06-Jan-15 19:49:39

Ha that's hilarious! But definitely outdated sexist rubbish. Fire a quick email off to the school - don't make a big deal of it but ask that if the supply teacher in question is used again that they have a word about casual sexism in the classroom. It's unprofessional and ofsted would have a sodding field day if they'd heard it, so the school should be told.

I'm still chuckling though...

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Tue 06-Jan-15 19:50:52

No, probably only the. 1970's.

It's a supply teacher for drama. Roll your eyes. Job done.

LadyLuck10 Tue 06-Jan-15 19:52:06

Move on.

Hulababy Tue 06-Jan-15 19:54:54

Are you sure the teacher wasn't joking with the pupils maybe?

I just can't imagine ANYONE saying that in real life let alone a female teacher of teenagers saying it to a teenage female.

But if they did, then yes - it is sexist, inappropriate and unprofessional. Feedback to school via email would be useful as school would then know not to have her back on supply.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Tue 06-Jan-15 19:55:53

Maybe "one of the boys" was being a pita (like maddy said)and he needed to be gone for five minutes? (Been there) but it was a supply teacher, likely she won't be back, so, yes it was wrong, but I'd let it go.

Feminine Tue 06-Jan-15 19:56:01

I wouldn't do anything. There are people about that say things like that.

silly things.

Snailinashell123 Tue 06-Jan-15 20:04:44

Hi,
I agree it probably is a bit petty to get wound up about it. I asked my dd about the context that it was set in, and she said that the teacher just asked if the class could carry on rehearsing while she popped out to take the register over to the office, when dd's friend voulnteered to go, so there was no macho muscle flexing or anything. It just annoyed me slightly, particularly as this supply teacher will be covering her lessons until her normal teacher recovers from a broken leg.

ConfusedInBath Tue 06-Jan-15 20:09:24

Seems weird to comment on boys being stronger in that context.
Anyway don't over think that one.

bigbluestars Tue 06-Jan-15 20:09:54

I think it is hilarious.
Sounds very much like some of the banter that my kids teachers have with their classes these days.

It's post sexist humour in my view - very tongue in cheek. I bet the teacher was hoping to be taken to task for the joke.

WhereHas1999DissappearedToo Tue 06-Jan-15 20:11:59

YANBU but it was a just a stupid throwaway comment from a supply teacher, do nothing and move on.

fluffling Tue 06-Jan-15 20:20:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PerpetualStudent Tue 06-Jan-15 20:21:31

I wouldn't worry, but FWIW, I'd be more concerned she thought it was ok to 'pop out' and leave the class unsupervised. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I work in schools and would never leave a class unattended, surely that's pretty poor practice?
Isn't it common practice to send a student if messages, notes, registrars etc need transporting?

Agree there was probably a PITA lad the teacher was trying to get rid of for a bit...

Teachers definitely still said things like that in the early 1980s, not just the 1800s - I remember primary school teachers specifying boy volunteers for carrying anything heavier than a single book - weird especially at the end of primary where girls have often started growth spurts and boys not, meaning some of the girls are definitely bigger and stronger than some of the boys... confused

Anyway - as a one of and as you weren't there to see whether it was a mismanaged attempt at joking around/ challenging the kids to take her up on it (likely from a drama teacher) I wouldn't get involved - unless it becomes a regular thing and your dd believes it is meant seriously.

funkyfoam Tue 06-Jan-15 20:22:56

Another vote for a joke

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now