Advanced search

to ask former CM to take pics of DS off her Facebook page?

(46 Posts)
askyfullofstars Tue 06-Jan-15 12:03:48

Our old CM has set up a facebook page to help advertise her business.
We only knew about this due to her DH and my DH having a few friends in common as they play golf at the same club, one of these friends contacted DH and said something like “I didn’t realise your DS went to X CM” DH said that he used to but he didn’t anymore (hasn’t been for nearly two years).

WIBU to contact her and ask her to remove the pictures of DS. Not because of some internet paedophile hysteria, but because

A)DS left as we were very unhappy with the service she was providing (she was really quite awful towards the end), so I feel a bit annoyed that his image is being used to advertise her business when I don’t think it’s a particularly good one.
B)We were never asked if she could use photos of him on social media (the nursery he is at has a facebook page that you can only see if you are a parent, I am quite happy to see his photos on there, as we get a little peek into what he gets up to, its great).

Also, I am surprised that her page is public. I (am hoping) that she would have sought the parents permission to put her current mindees on her page, which is fine, but it seems to be full of pictures taken at soft play centres with lots of other children in the background. I know that I may get flamed for this and maybe I am just a bit sensitive, but is that not quite irresponsible? For instance, I have a friend who adopted a child who had quite a ‘chaotic’ background, due to this, she does not put any pictures on social media sites as, even though it is a tiny risk that her child could be recognised, it is still a risk not worth taking. So I cant help but think, when my old CM post pics of her mindees, with other children running about and playing in the background, tagging them at “X Soft Play Centre, in X Town”, what if one of the one of the children in the background is in a similar situation? Like I said, I know it’s a tiny risk and I am probably being ridiculous but surely she should at least make her photos private?

BuzzardBird Tue 06-Jan-15 12:07:32

I think you are quite within your rights to tell her to remove pictures of your DS.

Floggingmolly Tue 06-Jan-15 12:08:10

I'd ask her, but most people on here will probably tell you you're being hysterical... Is it just a casual photo, or is she using it as part of her advertising?

LurkingHusband Tue 06-Jan-15 12:09:09

Who owns the copyright ?

ChampagneTastes Tue 06-Jan-15 12:10:39

Nope, not being unreasonable at all. In fact I imagine that OFSTED would be interested to hear about her lax approach to safeguarding.

Treeceratops Tue 06-Jan-15 12:12:24

Given that she is using the pictures to advertise her business, absolutely she should take them down. If I saw them, I would assume you are endorsing it (which clearly you are not).

PicaK Tue 06-Jan-15 12:12:43

My vague understanding of copyright law is that she owns the image but isn't allowed to use it to sell her business without your permission. Take a screen shot now. Then I'd just write a nice email saying you'd like her to remove the images by end of Jan at the latest. Then if she hasn't send screenshot to Ofsted/early years whoever.

LingDiLong Tue 06-Jan-15 12:13:57

I don't think you're being hysterical or unreasonable. And I'm a childminder with a public facebook page to advertise my business! I get written permission off all my parents to use their children's pictures and would have no problem with someone refusing that permission. I don't use former mindees even though they all left on good terms. I also crop out any other children that are in the background if I accidentally get them in the picture.

TheWitTank Tue 06-Jan-15 12:17:16

No, I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. I don't mind my children's pictures being on friends/family pages on Facebook or on the school websites, but this would piss me off. I wouldn't want to help advertise a business I wasn't happy with.

Waitingonasunnyday Tue 06-Jan-15 12:21:23

My children have both decided that they do not want their pictures on social media. Unless I ask them about a specific picture. YANBU. AFter all its not your face to decide where it is displayed.

pinkdelight Tue 06-Jan-15 12:21:41

All three CMs I've used have given me a form to sign about use of photos. It's usually part of the induction procedure. Are you sure you didn't sign one in amongst all the zillions of other forms to sign?

askyfullofstars Tue 06-Jan-15 12:23:32

pink she set this page up almost two years after DS left. So there is no way I could have given permission for her to use his picture on it.

Nolim Tue 06-Jan-15 12:25:54

Not unreasonable at all if she doesnt have permission to use them she should take them down.

LuckyLopez Tue 06-Jan-15 12:30:05

Just ask her? I don't understand why you're moaning when you haven't asked her yet. Rant away if she had said no and by all means report her, but if you haven't even spoken to her yet then it's all a bit premature. Yanbu though, it's not on.

RandomNPC Tue 06-Jan-15 12:36:57

pinkdelight Tue 06-Jan-15 13:12:23

Ah, fair enough. It's crap of her to use a pic of a mindee from so long ago, esp when they weren't happy with her service. Just ask her to remove it. YANBU.

SitOnYourDressJoyce Tue 06-Jan-15 13:15:22

NeedABumChange Tue 06-Jan-15 13:20:43

YANBU. It's like the window people came round and secretly took photos of our house and put them on their website. They put three window in backwards! I don't want my house advertising their business, their business is crap.

Just call her up and tell her she doesn't have permission and can she take it down.

Midorichan Tue 06-Jan-15 14:58:06

Legally, you are not allowed to use a photo of someone to promote something without their express permission. You are legally entitled to have a solicitor inform her to remove the image.

Tinkerball Tue 06-Jan-15 15:02:33

My DH is a CM and doesn't even put pictures of his current mindees on his website and business fb page, never mind past ones.

Aeroflotgirl Tue 06-Jan-15 15:08:03

YANBU at all, I would send her a polite e mail, asking her to take them down, if not screen shot her FB to OFSTEAD.

ChocLover2015 Tue 06-Jan-15 16:32:46

are you sure there was not a photographic permission form in with the enrolment forms?

haphazardbystarlight Tue 06-Jan-15 16:40:20

Even if you had hypothetically given permission two years down the line I think things change!

Splinters Tue 06-Jan-15 17:58:34

Yanbu. Pretty much unanimous so far. We will, of course, need to hear back once you've spoken to exCM. grin

chocorabbit Tue 06-Jan-15 18:10:35

Schools need written permission during registration to use a child's photograph even inside the school, e.g. classroom, trips shown to parents, festivals, publish in newspapers etc. They can only use them for their own purposes or to the parents when they want to see that their child cooked a meal, played in the sand etc. if parents haven't signed for public use of the image.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now