Talk

Advanced search

to wonder what the hell should i bring to this baby shower?

(25 Posts)
19lottie82 Tue 06-Jan-15 11:08:13

my friend lives in Australia but is home for a visit. She is pregnant, so before she heads back to Oz, another friend has organised a baby shower.

I started thinking about a gift last night and realised that

1) They don't know the sex of the baby
2) When they get back to Oz it will be piping hot, so this wipes out a lot of baby clothing options
3) Luggage space will be limited, so a bulky gift is a no no
4) They already have a 20 month old DD so will have a lot of "practical" items already

HELP!

Seriouslyffs Tue 06-Jan-15 11:14:43

I've just things for a baby shower I won't be attending but posting to Australia- so similarly small for postage.
I got a pack of receiving blankets and a toddler set of cuttlery, all fits practically into an A4 envelope and light too.

Mammanat222 Tue 06-Jan-15 11:18:28

Any vouchers you can buy for shops over in Oz?

nocabbageinmyeye Tue 06-Jan-15 11:19:50

Something for mum instead of baby, that gives you way more options, clothes, perfume, creams, chocolates, a book, loads of things, you could put a little "Born in 2015" bib or something small with it for baby then

LL12 Tue 06-Jan-15 11:22:05

I wonder if M&S vouchers would be an idea. I know some expats in Australia order from M&S when they have free delivery to Australia.

Hoppinggreen Tue 06-Jan-15 11:24:24

I've not ever been to 1 baby shower and I bought some smellies for the mum ( they were naice ones for mums to be)
I was the only one who didn't buy for the baby and the mum to be said how much she appreciated it

19lottie82 Tue 06-Jan-15 11:25:17

Some good ideas here thank you. I was thinking about vouchers, but then again one of the points of a shower is so that everyone can coo over the gifts?

Hissy Tue 06-Jan-15 11:44:46

loads of voucher options! amazon, m&s etc. definitely given the circumstances..

19lottie82 Tue 06-Jan-15 11:56:08

hissy, id rather leave vouchers as the last option

19lottie82 Tue 06-Jan-15 11:56:58

was thinking about this

www.nealsyardremedies.com/Baby-Gift-Box

gotthemoononastick Tue 06-Jan-15 12:56:43

I always post those giant sized muslin cloths.You get them with lovely little animal prints in baby shops.

They can not get enough of them and they are cool,cool cotton.

Light to mail in an envelope too!

LoblollyBoy Tue 06-Jan-15 13:01:18

UK (or London) themed alphabet book?

LL12 Tue 06-Jan-15 13:02:39

It does seem a little odd to organize a baby shower for somebody living overseas knowing they won't be able to take loads of stuff back home with them.

19lottie82 Tue 06-Jan-15 14:03:05

they're flying premium economy, so im pretty sure you get a double baggage allowance

KnackeredMerrily Tue 06-Jan-15 14:11:50

Aden and Anais swaddle muslins - leight weight and practical for warm weather

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Tue 06-Jan-15 14:15:09

How about those really soft leather baby 'shoes'. They stay on the baby's foot and can be worn bare foot or with socks...and are light for posting.

MollyWhuppie Tue 06-Jan-15 14:30:28

I was thrown a surprise baby shower for my 2nd baby and I didn't know the sex, and I wish people had bought me vouchers so I could choose things I needed (ungrateful I know!)

I would get a very small token pressie and a voucher. If you must buy a 'proper' gift I would go with some nice short sleeved vests (can be worn on their own in a hot climate) or a muslin/light weight sleeping bag.

LaurieMarlow Tue 06-Jan-15 14:38:32

I'd get something like this

https://www.notonthehighstreet.com/harmonyathomechildrensboutique/product/set-of-30-milestone-bay-cards?kpid=359043&gclid=CJWLjNHL_8ICFSYTwwod2yEAkg

I've also seen them in JoJo.

TidyDancer Tue 06-Jan-15 14:58:51

Have you double checked that it's not just a meeting up of friends in 'honour' of someone who happens to be pregnant? I wouldn't think someone with a young toddler and who lives abroad would expect large amounts of gifts.

lalaladeedah Tue 06-Jan-15 15:02:44

My best ever baby shower present I received was a gift voucher for a pedicure at a local beauty salon.
My friend had figured (rightly) that I might have neglected feet because I had a mighty bump, so it was bliss to have someone pay attention to them. And I guess in Oz they wear a lot of flip-flops…

I'm sure many people would hate this gift, but I loved it!

lalaladeedah Tue 06-Jan-15 15:04:23

BTW - the gift was organised for my salon in my home town online by my friend, so I just received a card with a picture of lots of feet on it! (again, would be convenient for her not having to lug stuff back)

NotInGuatemalaNowDrRopata Tue 06-Jan-15 15:08:46

A Westfield (Australia) shopping mall gift card and a joke present of a potty with yellow jelly with prunes set into it grin

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Tue 06-Jan-15 15:11:10

A Whoozit! They are fab and not big/heavy/awkward shaped. (Promise I don't work for them!).

Bumbiscuits Tue 06-Jan-15 15:11:34

Dan Murphy's voucher.

cardamomginger Tue 06-Jan-15 15:57:03

I would not want to have to take a whole load of gifts back with me in my luggage. DH and I got married abroad (his family live in another country) and, as lovely as it was to receive presents (even though we had a list in the UK), getting them back was a complete PITA. If you want to give something, then clothing (you can work out the seasons, although you will be buying for when the baby is older) or something light and after she has opened it tell her that you will post it to her? That way she gets to open something, but doesn't have the hassle of packing it. Voucher for a shop in Australia is also a great idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now