Talk

Advanced search

To think that couriers should be able to deliver to local collection point?

(18 Posts)
nannynick Tue 06-Jan-15 10:57:46

If you are out and a courier turns up, what happens? They end up taking package back to depot and trying to deliver again.
Instead they could deliver to a local collection point but at present the ststems don't enable that to happen.

AIBU to expect it to happen if I ask them to do it? They will deliver to a work address so why not to a local collect point?

Collection point would charge a fee I guess, though surely it costs money to redeliver multiple times?

DoJo Tue 06-Jan-15 11:38:01

There is the option to deliver to a local collection point for a lot of couriers, but you have to specify in advance that you want them to deliver there. Which courier is it?

LurkingHusband Tue 06-Jan-15 11:41:48

I still think we'll see some sort of hook-up between supermarkets and (say) Amazon. Where your Amazon order is delivered via your online shopping delivery (because people are always in for that).

Also, I can see big supermarkets offering space for delivery lockers. Massive win for them to increase footfall for pennies.

Hoppinggreen Tue 06-Jan-15 11:43:42

Our local coop has Amazon delivery lockers but it costs more to have something delivers there than to my house. I suppose if I was never in it might be worth it but otherwise I will just risk missing the delivery.

whatsagoodusername Tue 06-Jan-15 11:43:43

Amazon had lockers in the Co-op we used to live near. It was great.

Theoretician Tue 06-Jan-15 11:49:38

I've had a John Lewis online order delivered for pickup from Waitrose at the end of my street.

I've had Amazon delivery to a locker outside the office building next door to that Waitrose branch.

I've had Littlewoods catalog deliver to a newsagent within walking distance of where I live.

I have a vague notion that somebody (Argos?) was intending to set themselves up as a general collection point for all deliveries.

YoullLikeItNotaLot Tue 06-Jan-15 11:52:52

Lots of couriers/companies do offer this already. I'm constantly picking up parcels from our local shop. It's usually free too.

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Tue 06-Jan-15 11:55:45

I'm in Ireland and there's a courier service that delivers to a network of petrol stations, so if you're near one, it's incredibly handy. A lot of people use it for deliveries (eg from Amazon) that don't deliver to RoI but will deliver to the UK, so you use the courier company's address in Belfast and they then deliver on the package, with an additional fee. Littlewoods is also using it, but I think that's their standard (free?) delivery option, and it can be used for returns too. It was really useful for all the Christmas deliveries!

FryOneFatManic Tue 06-Jan-15 13:04:39

I can get some deliveries sent to a local corner shop just round the corner. As I work FT about 20 miles away, I'm never in for deliveries so this has been a fantastic find.

HappyAgainOneDay Tue 06-Jan-15 14:00:46

Some couriers do use collection points and yes, it can be more sensible for those who have to go out everyday. I prefer a home delivery though because I'm here most times.

HappyAgainOneDay Tue 06-Jan-15 14:01:08

And I take in for various neighbours.

Gawjushun Tue 06-Jan-15 14:09:40

Collect Plus deliver to the store down my road. It usually costs the same as normal delivery.

GooodMythicalMorning Tue 06-Jan-15 14:11:27

Yes collection plus here too. I dont order stuff often though and in most of the time tbh.

RumbelowSale Tue 06-Jan-15 14:12:31

I listened to a r4 programme over the xmas period, can't remember the name of it, you and yours perhaps?, a Hermes driver was talking about their deliveries.
They are paid 60-something pence per successful delivery, they have to cover their own petrol etc. costs, they're allowed only 3 attempts before they have to return the packet to a depot, and....did I say? They only get their 60-whatever payment for a successful drop. He said that this explained the over-the-fence drop they use....they've got bairns to feed too? Can't disagree with that.

The interviewer asked how much Next were charged for delivering the little package for Xmas.......again, not quite remembering now,(Christmas cooking, lots going on) but it was either £3.50 or £5.50

So, for everyone's sake, not least a good deal for the courier, I'd applaud a local drop off point. OR insist that the couriers are paid commensurate to the work they do for doorstep deliveries..

nannynick Sat 10-Jan-15 20:14:39

Sorry for not coming back sooner.

I love Click&Collect and Collect+. When ordering something yourself you can decide where it gets delivered - so I get it delivered to store/collection point.

When someone else gets you something, they send it to your home... even when the company (Amazon in this case) should know from my Prime membership that I have deliveries sent Collect+.

The current systems do not tie and address in to a collection point, thus flagging to other people sending you things that you have a preferred delivery method. The current system does not let a courier deliver to your home redirect the package to a collection point - or are there couriers who will do that?

The whole way deliveries work needs a rethink, if you order 3 products from Amazon, they could be delivered by 3 different methods if you want delivery to your home - one may come Royal Mail, one may come DHL from Germany (had that happen, they required a signature on delivery for a 1.99 cable!) and one come via DPD.

Renationalise mail deliveries including parcels - maybe that is what should happen so that customers get the service they want and companies have a price they know it will cost - rather than getting contracts from various companies which probably results in delivery staff being paid little.
Anyone remember what was wrong with Royal Mail when we just had them deliver everything?

Peepants78 Sat 10-Jan-15 21:04:28

I collected eBay orders from Argos at Christmas. Other than the massive queues it was an ideal situation.

nannynick Sat 10-Jan-15 21:17:45

Presumably you ordered the thing and requested that they were sent to the Argos collection point. Or did other people buy you things and Ebays' system knew you wanted them delivered there?

I wonder how well that went for Argos. Seems that they started it in 2013 and the number of sellers able to offer it has increased so I guess they see it as something to expand on, perhaps making them a collection point for other retailers in the future.

Peepants78 Mon 12-Jan-15 01:18:54

Sorry, only just saw your reply.
The seller I purchased from listed it as a free collection option (alternative was standard postage or special delivery).
Argos sent me a text when it arrived, which was actually a day earlier than due in store. The text contained an order code which I had to provide at the collection desk. The item was too big for my letterbox (but not a stinking great weight either!) so this seemed like a convenient alternative.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now