to go off piste with food bank donations, as they only list wanting junk food

(510 Posts)
haveatarday Tue 06-Jan-15 10:56:00

At the shops now. The local food bank is only asking for junk food on their list (crisps, biscuits, pot noodles, pasta and sauce, corn flakes).

Aibu to not get these but get healthier stuff, like tinned fruit in natural juce, oats, mixed seeds etc?

OP’s posts: |
expatinscotland Sat 10-Jan-15 19:23:29

'Sorry, yes, do the energy companies really need to charge a higher rate to prepayment customers? What is the percentage of prepay customers? They get their money in advance, so why charge more?'

They use their customers on DD to get interest-free loans to the tune of tens of millions, every time they take a DD that is lower than what the customer's usage is. Therefore, they penalise people on pre-payment meters, and the government allows this.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Sat 10-Jan-15 19:19:00

Yum, liver sashimi. Or perhaps you could poach it in a kettle? hmm

expatinscotland Sat 10-Jan-15 19:14:10

Now I know where Xenia/Greengrow went.

DixieNormas Sat 10-Jan-15 18:44:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Sat 10-Jan-15 18:17:21

Actually, FlowerFairy, what I asked you was:

"... perhaps you would like to share with us those foods that are good for us - but can also be quickly and easily prepared by someone with little or no cooking facilities, extra ingredients, and/or little energy (gas/electricity) to cook them with, and will provide a hot, comforting meal?

I have bolded the section you missed or ignored.

goodasitgets Sat 10-Jan-15 18:05:28

I think some people are thinking of what they would feed someone, not what that person can cook. Or thinking about what they would eat but not necessarily someone that has no hob and no storage space
So if someone turned up at my door hungry I would probably shovel them full of stew, veg and a pudding with custard
But my homemade stew isn't cheap to cook (ingredients are, but not gas) and veg goes off etc
So I would give the food bank (and have done) a tin of beef stew, tinned veg, custard (maybe a packet add hot water one) and a tinned sponge pudding

KristinaM Sat 10-Jan-15 17:52:42

Some of the posters on this thread are either really REALLY stupid or really REALLY insensitive . Or perhaps both .

TooHasty Sat 10-Jan-15 17:30:53

Flowerfairy-I don't agree that junk and processed food is best for people who have not eaten much recently. What you need is very high nutrition and to eat less.

You are telling people who haven't had much to eat in recent times to eat less!!! I don't know about 'FlowerFairy', 'away with the fairies' more like!!

LuisSuarezTeeth Sat 10-Jan-15 17:27:44

The old usually die in winter, often a cold which develops into pneumonia. In fact it's not too bad a way to go

Are you for real? I've had it, it's agonising.

ouryve Sat 10-Jan-15 17:17:16

What you need is very high nutrition and to eat less

Given the context this is one of the dumbest things I've seen today. People needing food banks are already eating less. That's their whole problem.

firesidechat Sat 10-Jan-15 17:15:47

Oh and getting the inexperienced to forage seafood. That would work too.

firesidechat Sat 10-Jan-15 17:14:44

Imagine the number of people you could kill off by supplying offal to all those poor people with no fridges and limited cooking facilities. It's one way to solve the problem.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sat 10-Jan-15 17:01:31

'The old liver and onions combination and kidneys and the like - full of good stuff although i accept most of us would want to cook them'

That's magnanimous of you. Shame though. Raw liver and onions would have won the thread, hands down.

firesidechat Sat 10-Jan-15 16:13:51

It might be feeding the body, but a meal of cold sardines and raw carrot does not feed the soul or cheer you up when at your lowest. Food is about more than the optimum levels of vitamins and minerals.

FlowerFairy2014 Sat 10-Jan-15 15:49:25

I was asked about food you could buy without needing a cooker and that was the examples. It is not so easy to get hold of raw fish on most council estates of course although those of us who have lived by the sea in clean areas of the UK know where you can get plenty of shell fish from the shore and seaweed.

I don't agree that junk and processed food is best for people who have not eaten much recently. What you need is very high nutrition and to eat less. that is what keeps [people healthy and happy. The old liver and onions combination and kidneys and the like - full of good stuff although i accept most of us would want to cook them and not everyone has access to an electric hob over which they can cook food. Lard is another good one which people sadly gave up - animal fat is one of the best things for you.

Violettatrump Sat 10-Jan-15 11:22:30

Thankyou nomore. I've found it smile

NoMoreMissusNiceGuy Sat 10-Jan-15 10:43:00

Violetta. .. I had a look at our local food bank's website. They have a pdf shopping list of basic items they accept but they also have a section in their "About Us" bit where it lists other things you can donate if you want to like toiletries etc.

firesidechat Sat 10-Jan-15 09:00:02

Tinned tuna and sardines are most definitely cooked.

LisaMed Sat 10-Jan-15 08:47:08

Flower Fairy - doesn't canning involve heat treatment? I get that a raw diet is good but food that requires little effort or calories to digest (ie processed) is good for someone who may not have eaten a lot recently.

My neighbours have one less bedroom than me, and I have a converted cellar kitchen. Due to a quirk of the architecture, the house next to us in the terrace has five rooms and no central heating while we have eight rooms, central heating and are profligate with stuff like computer use. I spend roughly the same on gas/electric as they do because I am on a direct debit and they are on a prepay meter - and that is now they have double glazing. Before their windows were repaired it was a lot higher! They would have issues with long cooking, and their kitchen is very small to hold stuff like a slow cooker. They certainly don't have room to bulk buy or stock up on bargains and not much room for herbs and and spices. I don't envy their challenges.

Violettatrump Sat 10-Jan-15 08:36:01

Some great ideas on what to give. My local FB seems to only have 4 items on their list and I wonder if there's a standard longer list I can access

Seff Sat 10-Jan-15 07:56:15

In the cases being discussed here, it's not just nutrition they need, it's warm food. If you can't afford to put your heating on, a warm meal will help you.

I like raw carrots, but they won't keep me warm in the middle of winter.

(Can't believe we're still repeating the same things)

CattyCatCat Fri 09-Jan-15 23:57:21

Yabu and a twat.

GraysAnalogy Fri 09-Jan-15 23:56:26

Oh and 30,000 people don't die from cold Ffs.

GraysAnalogy Fri 09-Jan-15 23:51:54

I find it hilarious that those who are privileged enough to decide what sort of diet they want to follow, think they should decided what those without enough money to feed themselves should be eating.

The foodbank knows what is in demand. They know what these families need. Do not even think you have the right to question their diets.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Fri 09-Jan-15 23:22:58

If someone can't afford to heat their home, they need a hot meal, to help them feel warmer and more comfortable.

And unless they are already into a basically raw diet, they are not going to adopt one when they are at their lowest financial - and probably emotional - ebb, are they, FlowerFairy?

These people need help that suits their current circumstances - they don't need people to try to re-educate them on their diet - they need calories that will be easy for them to prepare (if they can't afford to use much electricity cooking, don't have anywhere to store fresh food, don't have access to cooking utensils and equipment - maybe only have a kettle), food that will give them pleasure as well as pure calories and nutrition, that will warm them in a cold home.

This is the point you have utterly failed to comprehend. Tinned tuna is fine, but isn't a hot meal on its own.

Maybe, just maybe, the food bank people and their dieticians know their clientele, their needs, wants and circumstances better than you do, and so their ideas of what to donate to a food bank may be more practical than your 'raw food is better for you'.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in