Page 21 | to go off piste with food bank donations, as they only list wanting junk food

(510 Posts)
haveatarday Tue 06-Jan-15 10:56:00

At the shops now. The local food bank is only asking for junk food on their list (crisps, biscuits, pot noodles, pasta and sauce, corn flakes).

Aibu to not get these but get healthier stuff, like tinned fruit in natural juce, oats, mixed seeds etc?

OP’s posts: |
ouryve Sat 10-Jan-15 17:17:16

What you need is very high nutrition and to eat less

Given the context this is one of the dumbest things I've seen today. People needing food banks are already eating less. That's their whole problem.

LuisSuarezTeeth Sat 10-Jan-15 17:27:44

The old usually die in winter, often a cold which develops into pneumonia. In fact it's not too bad a way to go

Are you for real? I've had it, it's agonising.

TooHasty Sat 10-Jan-15 17:30:53

Flowerfairy-I don't agree that junk and processed food is best for people who have not eaten much recently. What you need is very high nutrition and to eat less.

You are telling people who haven't had much to eat in recent times to eat less!!! I don't know about 'FlowerFairy', 'away with the fairies' more like!!

KristinaM Sat 10-Jan-15 17:52:42

Some of the posters on this thread are either really REALLY stupid or really REALLY insensitive . Or perhaps both .

goodasitgets Sat 10-Jan-15 18:05:28

I think some people are thinking of what they would feed someone, not what that person can cook. Or thinking about what they would eat but not necessarily someone that has no hob and no storage space
So if someone turned up at my door hungry I would probably shovel them full of stew, veg and a pudding with custard
But my homemade stew isn't cheap to cook (ingredients are, but not gas) and veg goes off etc
So I would give the food bank (and have done) a tin of beef stew, tinned veg, custard (maybe a packet add hot water one) and a tinned sponge pudding

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Sat 10-Jan-15 18:17:21

Actually, FlowerFairy, what I asked you was:

"... perhaps you would like to share with us those foods that are good for us - but can also be quickly and easily prepared by someone with little or no cooking facilities, extra ingredients, and/or little energy (gas/electricity) to cook them with, and will provide a hot, comforting meal?

I have bolded the section you missed or ignored.

DixieNormas Sat 10-Jan-15 18:44:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

expatinscotland Sat 10-Jan-15 19:14:10

Now I know where Xenia/Greengrow went.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Sat 10-Jan-15 19:19:00

Yum, liver sashimi. Or perhaps you could poach it in a kettle? hmm

expatinscotland Sat 10-Jan-15 19:23:29

'Sorry, yes, do the energy companies really need to charge a higher rate to prepayment customers? What is the percentage of prepay customers? They get their money in advance, so why charge more?'

They use their customers on DD to get interest-free loans to the tune of tens of millions, every time they take a DD that is lower than what the customer's usage is. Therefore, they penalise people on pre-payment meters, and the government allows this.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in