Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To have only yesterday encountered for the first time something called a selfie stick

(16 Posts)
DreamingofSummer Tue 06-Jan-15 09:59:25

and to wonder what kind of narcissistic wanker could ever buy and use one

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Tue 06-Jan-15 10:00:40

My niece, she is only 13 though.

BlackbirdOnTheWire Tue 06-Jan-15 10:02:57

I've seen a few pics taken with them recently - not for individual selfies but for family photos at Christmas. Probably quite useful if you don't have a separate camera, or you do but it doesn't have a timer/remote.

DrownedReindeer Tue 06-Jan-15 10:06:57

I have one. Useful for getting photos of us all when there's no one else around to take them. DS and I are on holiday and it's nice to get some photos of the pair of us without having to bother someone else to take one. I'm really not into posting multiple trout-pout photos on social media.

So this kind of narcissistic wanker, I suppose hmm

DreamingofSummer Tue 06-Jan-15 10:07:13

The one I saw was being used in the middle of a London pavement with the user being oblivious to the obstruction they were causing and the ridicule they were attracting.

Just why?

angelos02 Tue 06-Jan-15 10:09:49

*The one I saw was being used in the middle of a London pavement with the user being oblivious to the obstruction they were causing and the ridicule they were attracting.

Just why?*

Because people are getting more self-obsessed by the day. I despair.

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Tue 06-Jan-15 10:14:05

Could come in handy at school plays.

offtoseethewizard64 Tue 06-Jan-15 10:21:05

I bought one for a friend for Christmas - it was a bit of a joke present really as we had seen them in use on a recent trip to the USA and were shock at them when we saw them.

KittyandTeal Tue 06-Jan-15 10:27:17

My SIL got one for Xmas as a joke but now loves it. Christmas was full of finding the right angle to get everyone in etc.

I'm not sure I 'get it' but then maybe I'm getting old!

JammyTodger Tue 06-Jan-15 10:29:06

We were in London at the weekend and the place was full of people videoing themselves walking down unremarkable streets. It's the first time I've seen them too.

PelvicFloorGoneSouth Tue 06-Jan-15 10:31:02

I had to google to find out what it is!

Roussette Tue 06-Jan-15 10:31:10

I saw one in Covent Garden the other day and I just wet myself. This person was wandering around the crowds with this bloody stick and they did look ridiculous and were so busy concentrating on taking pics of themselves they were tripping over things.

DarylDixonsDarlin Tue 06-Jan-15 10:32:48

Some poor bloke down my way got struck by lightning while using his the other day! shock

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Tue 06-Jan-15 10:33:07

I encountered one for the first time on Boxing Day. Very strange indeed. People are obsessed with taking photos. Of every little thing. Someone in my family took a photo of their meal at Christmas. I find it bizarre.

I can see that children would find it great fun though.

DreamingofSummer Tue 06-Jan-15 10:40:51

Daryl - Karma perhaps

nikki1978 Tue 06-Jan-15 10:44:10

A couple of months ago I had an idea about inventing something so people could take selfies from a distance. Was very annoyed when I found someone else had already invented it. I could have been rich, dammit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now