Talk

Advanced search

to feel guilty for getting £18 of chocolate for free from tesco

(42 Posts)
haveatarday Tue 06-Jan-15 08:30:47

So I bought 3 boxes of chocloates that were on 3 for 2. All the same type. Then at the checkout the deal didn't go through, I noticed as only bought a few things. I went to cs and after checking the problem was that the manufacturer changed the barcode on the product and one box had a different barcode.

Tesco then gave me all three boxes even though it wasn't really their fault. I did feel terribly guilty

ilovesooty Tue 06-Jan-15 08:33:04

For goodness sake. You went to customer services. It's all above board. I imagine Tesco have more money than you so enjoy the chocolate.

HappyAgainOneDay Tue 06-Jan-15 08:33:22

You could have declined them.

Nightboattocairo Tue 06-Jan-15 08:33:39

If you're going to feel guilty, save it for something that matters. Don't lose any sleep over Tesco, seriously!

HappyAgainOneDay Tue 06-Jan-15 08:33:48

So it's your own fault if you feel guilty.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 06-Jan-15 08:37:57

Tesco have a policy about this. They refund double the difference if they overcharge. I bought an outfit fir dd in the sales, trousers reduced to 2.50 but charged 4, so they refunded me 3 (double the difference) so I only paid 1.

Chippednailvarnish Tue 06-Jan-15 08:38:56

Give the money to charity, eat and be guilt free!

JamNan Tue 06-Jan-15 08:40:25

I thought you had nicked it when I read the thread title

ilovesooty Tue 06-Jan-15 08:41:33

Or you could give them to a good bank if you feel that bad.

ilovesooty Tue 06-Jan-15 08:41:53

Food bank even

Chippednailvarnish Tue 06-Jan-15 08:44:54

Foodbank is a great idea!

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 06-Jan-15 08:47:33

Why?

they chose to let you have it it's not like you stole it.

When you do online food shopping you get to keep food you called for a refund of.

Hatespiders Tue 06-Jan-15 08:48:41

I'm sure Mr Tesco (or whoever is the multi-millionaire who owns the company) can afford to give you a few chocs. Foodbank is a super idea.

Passthecake30 Tue 06-Jan-15 08:50:23

They make a fortune from us from silly tricks/price variations/offers. I'd be feeling happy I got one back on them tbh.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Tue 06-Jan-15 08:54:46

hmm

MarjorieMelon Tue 06-Jan-15 09:02:36

The OP obviously wanted 3 boxes of chocolates otherwise she wouldn't have purchased them so if she gives them to a Foodbank it will defeat the object of her shopping trip.

I give to a Foodbank every week before anyone criticises me for my post.

CatsClaus Tue 06-Jan-15 09:06:00

yes she obviously wanted them but has The Guilt so to assuage that OP should go buy MORE chocolates, fork over her £12 for the 3 for 2 offer and also give the first three to the foodbank

or maybe just eat the free chocolates. And rejoice.

CleanLinesSharpEdges Tue 06-Jan-15 09:08:51

Drop the money you should have paid into a charity collection.

Or, I'll pm you my address and you can send the chocolate to me and I'll dispose of it for you.

Either suggestion will assuage your guilt.

MarjorieMelon Tue 06-Jan-15 09:09:48

Or just give the money to charity or not feel guilty. I don't really get the guilt tbh. I also wasn't aware that Tesco had such a policy, they make a habit of overcharging me and when I have pointed our their error they have refunded me but never once have they offered me a freebie.

magicpixie Tue 06-Jan-15 09:16:22

this really made me lol
thanks op

catsmother Tue 06-Jan-15 09:29:11

God OP - you don't need to feel guilty of getting £18 worth of anything from Tesco for free!

As others have said, this is a drop in the ocean to them (despite their plunging profits) and IME they are one of the worst for terrible pricing and misleading 'offers' (which are nothing of the sort once you take the time to compare and work things out, and which many people must be taken in by who can't manage on the spot calculations).

I'm really not exaggerating when I say that probably 1 in 6 of my Tesco receipts are wrong .... one price on shelf, another at the till etc. And then, when I query this with customer services I find that 3/4 of the time they're very unhelpful and you have to be very assertive in order to get your 'double the difference' - there's rarely an apology for their error and for them wasting your time on having to question it, and some of the staff have been disbelieving almost to the point of rudeness - even when you've accompanied them to shelf and pointed the mistake out.

On one such occasion, when I'd bought 3 or 4 bottles of washing detergent they were horribly dismissive and really dragged their heels over the refund - can't remember the ins and outs of the offer and why it was wrong - but it transpired they messed up my refund and I ended up with (co-incidentally) about £18 when I should have got about £8 back. Did I feel guilty ?? ..... did I heck ..... I'm sure, given the high number of errors I do spot that I've also missed a number over the years - to their advantage.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Tue 06-Jan-15 09:37:24

OP, there are people on moneysavingexpert that deliberately exploit loopholes and mistakes like this as either a hobby or a money making scheme.

If one of them had discovered this, they would have repeated the 'mistake' several times over in all the Tescos in their local area until either supplies were exhausted or Tesco caught on. You doing this once by accident is a drop in the ocean by comparison.

I know that Tesco are not doing as well as they'd like right now, but your free chocs aren't going to push them over the edge. And knowing Tesco, it is highly likely that you will have paid extra for several mistakes in their favour over the years that you haven't noticed as it was a quid here and there each time you shop.

Just enjoy your free chocs, and make a donation to the food bank if it eases your guilt a little smile.

haveatarday Tue 06-Jan-15 09:50:37

Thanks for the food bank idea, I'm not going to give the chocolates as they are for work and nutritionally void. Passing there shortly and will do a quick food bank shop. smile

I mainly feel guilty as I was a tad abrasive when telling them they got it wrong, as had to wait ages at the tobacco counter to be seen and was in a rush, but couldn't let them get away with it as was from a work kitty.

grocklebox Tue 06-Jan-15 09:54:59

Nutritionally void? People who need the food bank deserve a little treat same as anyone else, its not all about surviving. Give some chocolate to the food bank as well!

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Tue 06-Jan-15 09:56:55

As long as you put the money back in the kitty, then I hope you and your co workers enjoy the chocolates.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now