to think, "No, it's not 'just' 2p, it's the principle!"

(104 Posts)
bitsandbobsandbits Tue 06-Jan-15 06:44:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VioletandRoger Tue 06-Jan-15 06:50:24

Complain to the manager. Agree it's not about the 2p

TrendStopper Tue 06-Jan-15 06:50:42

I feel the same as you.

Its like when something costs 4.99 for example & the cashier assumes that you dont want your penny change. All those pennies can add up to quite a bit of money so if i want my change give me my change.

However as for the bag charge i dont see the problem with that. In scotland its 5p per bag.

VioletandRoger Tue 06-Jan-15 06:51:01

I do think bags should cost though as it will help the environment

SecretNutellaFix Tue 06-Jan-15 06:51:21

Considering the Carrier bag levy which is in place throughout the UK, except for England will come into effect in October in England, I'm just going to say get used to it.

Minimum charge for carrier bags in Wales is 5p by the way, and that's for the cheapest thin plastic bags. Bags for life which have always been charged for are 10p +

I think trying out a smaller charge to get customers used to paying it is a very good thing- you have no idea how much abuse retail workers got in wales when it was thrust upon us. As though it was our doing.

mumonashoestring Tue 06-Jan-15 06:51:45

I'd have done exactly the same as you - pretty sure there must be something in trade regulation that prevents you charging for a service a customer hasn't used...

Have you sent this to their customer services (or tweeted the link to this thread to them) yet?

FamiliesShareGerms Tue 06-Jan-15 06:52:54

YANBU

mumonashoestring Tue 06-Jan-15 06:52:59

Oh, and I'm all in favour of being charged for carrier bags, but not when I haven't used one! grin

FishWithABicycle Tue 06-Jan-15 06:56:44

You put the items in one of their bags, which cost 2p? Is that right?
So the question is, if the assistant hadn't done that, would you have pressed "no" and taken one of these bags without paying, or would you have removed the items from their bag and put them in yours? As you disagree with paying for bags I assume you wouldn't have pressed yes.

I suspect a lot of people do the former and that's why the assistant was instructed to keep an eye out for people likely to do this. It's not about the revenue for them, but the principle that if they are going to charge for bags that needs to be enforced for everyone not just for honest people.

If you weren't going to take a bag without paying for it you should have put the items in the bagging area next to a bag not inside one.

YABVU to be starting a thread on mumsnet about this at least 12 hours later.

PitchWrapped Tue 06-Jan-15 06:56:53

I agree. I was in hakfords the other day buying something that was 39.99 on the shelf. When the bloke rang it through it came up at 40 but i misheard and thought he said more so i said "oh its 39.99" on the shelf. He went "tell you what i'll just give you the penny shall i?" Dug in his pocket and slapped 2p on the desk. I took it just for his attitude problem.

Not surprised though last time i went in there while my card payment was going through he got his mobile out, looked at it for a minute then said to his colleague "oh look someone else has got himself beheaded".

306235388 Tue 06-Jan-15 06:57:05

You just sound a bit petty - you'd put it in a carrier bag - lots of people probably have been taking the bags without paying and she will have been having it in the neck from her superiors about it. I doubt she particularly loves doing it.

Of course, it doesn't excuse her being rude and she should just have done as you asked but maybe she'd just had enough of being treated like a second class citizen?

bitsandbobsandbits Tue 06-Jan-15 06:57:25

bitsandbobsandbits Tue 06-Jan-15 07:00:34

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Tue 06-Jan-15 07:02:20

She probably didn't know or have the authority to remove the 2p bag.

I agree though, WHsmith is a pile of wank.

londonrach Tue 06-Jan-15 07:03:58

Yanbu re whsmiths and the bag thing. Watch it everyone they charge even if you use your own bag. My dad stormed back into their shop when they did that. As someone on a tight budget i find charging for bags wrong. I know this goes against mn feeling. If worried re environment shops should use paper recycled bags. I usually carry my own bags but if i forget and need something from mars or whsmiths i go elsewhere. I know soon i wouldnt be able to go elsewhere.

DropYourSword Tue 06-Jan-15 07:04:03

I don't think it's terrible customer service. You used the bag but weren't going to pay. It's terrible customer here!

crazypenguin Tue 06-Jan-15 07:04:49

Did she try and force a chocolate orange on you?
I don't shop in smiths because of their pushy chocolate thing.
If they wish to help the environment, why do they always give you a wad of vouchers that go straight in the recycling with your reciept?

my2centsis Tue 06-Jan-15 07:05:04

YAnbu and I admire your "no thanks" and walking away grinwine

Whowouldfardelsbear Tue 06-Jan-15 07:05:50

The main thing i object to in paying for carrier bags is when it turns you into a walking advertisement for the shop. And I don't see why I should pay for that. If it is a plain carrier (without the shop's name) then fine.

OhShittingHenry Tue 06-Jan-15 07:06:10

YANBU. I also can't believe how W H Smith is still in business. Terrible shop, awful staff (if you can even find one!) and everything so expensive. Awful.

SecretNutellaFix Tue 06-Jan-15 07:07:33

That is not the point, dear!!!

You're coming across as patronising as well.

bitsandbobsandbits Tue 06-Jan-15 07:07:47

Honeydragon Tue 06-Jan-15 07:08:47

The point of it asking is to give the customer a choice as to whether they want a bag. It's the point you can change your mind. The SA had no right to decide for you.

It's not an issue of charging for bags at all. UANBU, the SA was unprofessional.

bitsandbobsandbits Tue 06-Jan-15 07:09:05

bitsandbobsandbits Tue 06-Jan-15 07:10:30

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now