Talk

Advanced search

To be fuming dd has lost one of her presents and doesn't seem to care?

(42 Posts)
Itsgoingtoreindeer Mon 05-Jan-15 17:38:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SnapeChat Mon 05-Jan-15 17:40:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

whothehellknows Mon 05-Jan-15 17:40:20

Yep, that would have me fuming.

Itsgoingtoreindeer Mon 05-Jan-15 17:41:18

LastingLight Mon 05-Jan-15 17:42:33

I would be very, very angry if I was you.

AnnieLobeseder Mon 05-Jan-15 17:43:07

She would be getting some very serious words from me about gratitude and the value of money, she would be doing chores to make up from it and she would certainly not be getting anything more than a cheap present for her birthday. You're right to be fuming.

notnaice Mon 05-Jan-15 17:43:44

I'd be upset but it's her loss. Make sure you don't replace it - natural consequences and all that.

Itsgoingtoreindeer Mon 05-Jan-15 17:48:13

LokiBear Mon 05-Jan-15 17:49:19

I would be gutted. You need to tell her why you are upset and how disappointed you are with her attitude. winecakeflowers

DuchessofBuffonia Mon 05-Jan-15 17:49:20

Are you sure she's lost it? Could she have had it taken by a friend, or broken it, and is giving the don't care attitude as a cover up?

Itsgoingtoreindeer Mon 05-Jan-15 17:51:30

waithorse Mon 05-Jan-15 17:59:43

This would not impress me. YANBU. Any chance it.might turn up ?

NurseRoscoe Mon 05-Jan-15 18:14:18

I completely understand why you would feel hurt and you have every right to. However I remember my mum being like this with me 'you don't seem that bothered!!!' when the whole time I was bothered I just didn't understand what getting hysterical would do to help, I preferred to stay calm and think about where I last had it.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 05-Jan-15 18:16:19

Id be sending her round the house and banning her from whatever her favourite thing is (no tv/music/chocolate) til its found.

littleducks Mon 05-Jan-15 18:21:36

I'm not sure. Is it likely to be in the house? If it odd maybe she is just bring practical that it will turn up and isn't a stressy person?

I too wondered if it was a cover for it being broken

Itsgoingtoreindeer Mon 05-Jan-15 18:24:20

Itsgoingtoreindeer Mon 05-Jan-15 18:24:36

maninawomansworld Mon 05-Jan-15 18:25:46

My brother did something similar when we were children.
He was always careless with his possessions and didn't seem to appreciate the value of anything. Aged 10 or thereabouts, he lost an expensive present due to sheer carelessness and didn't seem to care. Our parents were so annoyed they made him save up to replace it. When he eventually had enough to replace it, he found they weren't on sale any more so father had the money back off him!!
He was never quite so cavalier with his things again.

Evabeaversprotege Mon 05-Jan-15 18:38:34

My dd is like that.

At the minute she has lost a school jumper that is "definitely in the house" hmm

littleducks Mon 05-Jan-15 18:40:48

Maybe it's just laziness then? Not ungrateful but just too lazy to look out not very good at looking?

diddlediddledumpling Mon 05-Jan-15 18:45:21

when you say lost, has she taken it out of the house? or is it lost, but in the house somewhere?

ds1 has misplaced his Nintendo ds many times since he got it a couple of years ago, and I've never got cross about it because I lose stuff in the house all the time! as I see it, when he wants to play on it, he'll have to look for it. maybe I should care more, never thought about it.

however, I agree it may well be a cover for it being broken.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Mon 05-Jan-15 18:48:35

Shes prob upset about it and feels silly.
I used to be like this.

Theboodythatrocked Mon 05-Jan-15 18:48:53

Totally totally get you pov op

You worked bloody hard for that gift

Your dd is 12 and she's never worked or worried so of course she either doesn't get your frustration or she feels guilty and is covering it with blaze attitude/

You can't put an old head on young shoulders. She will cringe when she's older.
T

Topseyt Mon 05-Jan-15 18:51:55

I have one like that. My youngest, who is 12 now.

She is not blase as such, but is a complete scatterbrain and never puts anything down in the same place twice. She leaves delicate stuff in careless places too, so it falls onto the floor and sometimes break, or she leaves stuff on the floor in her room so that she either can't find it when needed or, if you have to go in there for any reason things get stepped on and broken.

She has a broken screen on her phone through carelessness. Literally like frosted glass. It still just about works, though how is a mystery, so I have refused to have it repaired. We are on a tight budget too, so something like that is a lot of money. She can learn her lesson and wait until it is due an upgrade in a year or so, no matter how uncool it may look.

She has just told me (sheepishly) that she has lost her school planner, which is a compulsory item at her school. It apparently vanished into thin air at the end of last term and has still not turned up despite a massive effort over the holidays de-junking her room. I will now have to pay £5 for another one. She can pay me back, either from her pocket money or by doing some chores around the house methinks.

It really can drive me nuts. Perfectly reasonable of you to pull your daughter up on this IMHO.

TheMuppetsSingChristmas Mon 05-Jan-15 18:58:59

I'd look for it myself, find it, and sell it. She clearly doesn't care and doesn't miss it, and you would get some of the money back. Win win.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now