Talk

Advanced search

To feel a bit judgy about this Dad drinking in the park. (Especially as me and DH went for a drink in the pub after our walk).

(33 Posts)
Bumpandkind Mon 05-Jan-15 17:14:46

I'm feeling a bit hypocritical about this one.
On Sunday we were having a walk in our local park with 18m Ds. Out of the buggy he and a toddler of similar age were playing in a walled garden area, so far so normal. Chatting with the mum and the dad strolls over and joins the conversation with a can of lager in hand. Both seemed nice and well, normal but this struck me as odd.

When we continued on our way I remarked on this to DH who laughed and said we couldn't really judge as we were off to a pub for a cheeky pre roast pint (all be it a vay nice, family friendly pub with craft ales and those tiny ramekins of olives sold for about a fiver wink).

AIBU to feel this is a bit odd?

WorraLiberty Mon 05-Jan-15 17:17:43

YABU to think the type of pub you go to makes any difference to your daytime alcohol consumption grin

I do know what you mean. I cant quite put my finger on why it looks wrong seeing someone doing that.

If they'd been sat on a tartan blanket, sipping champagne with a picnic I wouldn't have the same opinion.

Wrong I know but there you are confused

Tinkerball Mon 05-Jan-15 17:17:45

What is it you think is odd?

JeanneDeMontbaston Mon 05-Jan-15 17:18:46

Well, my old headmistress would have been shocked, but then she also felt that eating in the street was a disgrace to our uniforms, so maybe it's a tiny bit old-fashioned?

I do get what you mean as if I see someone drinking in public I do worry a bit as I've been approached by very, very, very drunk people before. But I bet you wouldn't have judged if they'd had a picnic rug and a jug of pimms.

Bumpandkind Mon 05-Jan-15 17:20:28

I know worra it's definitely my inner snob coming out!

I can't put my finger on why its odd. The Dad didn't seem at all drunk and if it had been a hot day and they'd been sitting eating crisps with it I probably wound have joined them.

dexter73 Mon 05-Jan-15 17:21:16

I agree with Worra. I'm not sure why drinking a can of lager is a bit off whereas the sipping champagne/Pimms on a rug is ok but I agree.

PoppySausage Mon 05-Jan-15 17:23:18

Would you have judged a naice family on a picnic blanket having a gin or glass of wine?

PoppySausage Mon 05-Jan-15 17:23:39

Cross post Worra!

PoppySausage Mon 05-Jan-15 17:24:41

Also agree they seem different and I know they're not.

BinarySolo Mon 05-Jan-15 17:25:36

I'd have judged if it had been pimms. Everyone knows pimms is a summer drink, how uncouth to be drinking it in winter. Should have had a nice mulled wine or perhaps a snowball....

Bumpandkind Mon 05-Jan-15 17:26:02

That's exactly my embarrassing problem there poppy. But I doubt I'm alone in feeling a bit judgy!

dexter73 Mon 05-Jan-15 17:30:42

It's funny to have a thread where we all think that the op IBU but agree with her unreasonableness!

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 05-Jan-15 17:34:59

Yanbu and basically what Worra said.

WorraLiberty Mon 05-Jan-15 17:36:47

I was just thinking the same thing dexter grin

PoppySausage Mon 05-Jan-15 17:41:47

Jeanne - did you go to my school?! By a river..,

PoppySausage Mon 05-Jan-15 17:42:40

Yes, agree! So in summary, we are all BU!

DustyCropHopper Mon 05-Jan-15 17:58:02

Yes, YABU but I totally agree with you. it is the inner snob in me!

waithorse Mon 05-Jan-15 18:01:49

I totally agree with you. We are all unreasonable. blush smile

MarjorieMelon Mon 05-Jan-15 18:02:38

I always thought that I wasn't a snob but this thread proves I am because I would have felt exactly the same. blush

ShatnersBassoon Mon 05-Jan-15 18:04:37

Imbibing from a can always makes me think the drinker needs the booze rather than wants to enjoy a sociable tipple.

MarjorieMelon Mon 05-Jan-15 18:09:12

I remember watching an episode of some dodgy programme, think it might have been Benefits Street and they were all drinking cans of lager on the doorsteps whilst the kids played in the street and I thought it looked terrible. It is hypocritical of me because I have had wine on a nice summers day with friends whilst our children play. I think we are probably more snobby than we realise.

Chavaloy Mon 05-Jan-15 18:09:52

It's the drinking from a can/bottle whilst in the park! It sort of implies can't do without a beer. Whilst going to the pub for a pint after the park is OK - because that's where you have a pint.
That doesn't make sense, and it's jolly snobby. But people who drink cans of beer whilst walking about is wrong. Isn't it...

Shockers Mon 05-Jan-15 18:13:04

Pimms, champagne or whatever on a picnic rug shows a certain amount of deferred gratification; it wasn't bought from spar with pocket change on the way there...

Could that be it OP?

Pyjamaramadrama Mon 05-Jan-15 18:16:36

I'd have probably judged too but I've no idea why, as you all say had it been champagne on a picnic blanket noone would bat an eyelid.

You fancied a beer so did the man.

Agree people judging benefit street people having cans on their doorstep but how many people sit drinking wine in the back garden with their friends?

Chavaloy Mon 05-Jan-15 18:20:16

It's a weird one. I'd happily sit in garden with friends and DC having a glass of wine, yet it would not occur to me to buy one of those single glasses of wine in the plastic glass thing with the foil top (M&S) and stroll around the park sipping it! Though for a picnic it would be perfectly acceptable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now