loader

Talk

Advanced search

Accessorize exchange with gift receipt

(37 Posts)
jawjamjawjag Mon 05-Jan-15 15:37:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

londonrach Mon 05-Jan-15 15:42:29

Can see their point. New receipt means it be at the full price and you could take that back and get that 10% cash free. Better without the receipt and just do a straight swap.

PoppySausage Mon 05-Jan-15 15:43:32

So the shop sold a bag with a 10% discount so only got 29 ish for the bag then you want them to swap at full price? I don't think you're right here.

The gift receipt had a value, full stop, I thought

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 05-Jan-15 15:45:59

Yes, I agree with Poppy really. I'd have just paid the £3.20.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 05-Jan-15 15:46:12

I think it's a case of 'Computer says no' rather than the staff being daft. The receipt (with a barcode that they would scan to action the exchange) will have a record for a transaction totalling £28.80 so a straight exchange for something costing £32 wouldn't be possible. You could have been a mystery shopper testing their ability to do what they're told, so they couldn't pretend they didn't know about the receipt or the discount.

Just go back another day without the receipt.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Mon 05-Jan-15 15:49:26

Tabu, even with a gift receipt you only get back the money that was paid!

In your case that was £32 minus 10%, that's the value of the gift your dad was given and that's what you get back. I can't believe you expect them to suck up the 10% to be honest.

CrohnicallyCold Mon 05-Jan-15 15:49:38

If they have a policy of exchanging at current value without needing a receipt, then it is silly to not allow the exchange with receipt.

To avoid the scenario londonrach says, they could have refunded bag A with student discount applied, then sold bag B also with student discount applied. In fact, to do the exchange they would have to do this to make sure the till balances.

When I worked in retail we were allowed to apply a 10% discretionary discount without a managers permission, for ex-display or shop soiled items, so I would have just done it if it were me.

PulpsNotFiction Mon 05-Jan-15 15:50:50

No, I agree with the OP. It's irrelevant. If the OP went in and asked for an exchange, without a receipt at all, they'd just swap same value for same value.

MrsHathaway Mon 05-Jan-15 15:52:04

The whole point of a gift receipt is to honour the price paid - £28.80 in this case. On another day it might have meant you got more than the current £20 sale price. They are right and you are wrong, however daft that seems. And you don't get extra help from retail staff by arguing the toss: they will have found you rude.

Go again and do a swap without the receipt.

gotasecretcanyoukeepit Mon 05-Jan-15 15:52:58

So you want to exchange the item for something that costs more than was originally paid for it? YABVU. I have a student discount card which has probably saved me over 100 quid over the last 2 years but could have taken back every item I bought saying 'oh I want something that costs the same just without the discount' and profited from it. I know you didn't buy the original item but people who expect something for nothing are the reason why shops stop doing this type of deal. It's also the reason why most shops insist on a receipt to do an exchange.

gotasecretcanyoukeepit Mon 05-Jan-15 15:55:33

It's silly that they admitted that you could have brought it in without a receipt and got a better deal but to be honest given the way you're portraying it as your god given right to assume you should have got something for less than was paid for it I'm going to guess they weren't inclined to go the extra mile for you.

AmazingBouncingFerret Mon 05-Jan-15 15:55:50

I agree with previous poster saying that the till was probably being an arse and not tallying. However there are ways to get round it manually no matter what till system they use and to argue the toss with a customer on such a matter is just a waste of yours and their time.

AmazingBouncingFerret Mon 05-Jan-15 15:58:15

Actually no I take it back. What if the bag had been on an in store promotion when the gift giver had bought it? You only get what the original price paid was.

mewkins Mon 05-Jan-15 16:07:09

Gotasecret... But you wouldn't have profitted.. you would just get another item with your rightful discount applied!

Op, just go to another store and swap without a receipt. They aren't thinking outside the box!

Dumpylump Mon 05-Jan-15 16:07:49

I don't see a.problem with a straight exchange actually. Presumably original bag is still pristine and will be put back out for sale at the full price of £32. So store isn't losing anything. The discount will still only have been applied once.

CrohnicallyCold Mon 05-Jan-15 16:10:51

But ferret without the receipt the store would exchange at current price anyway. You're forgetting that the value of item X is whatever the store is selling them for at the time. If you bought something for £5 and it goes back up to £10 then you return it, it doesn't matter to the store if they inadvertently give you the full £10 for it because they can then sell the item to someone else for £10 anyway. Hence most shops have a policy of exchanging at current price if no receipt.

In this case, although the gift giver only gave the store £28.80, they can sell the bag to someone else without discount for £32.

CrohnicallyCold Mon 05-Jan-15 16:11:49

dumpylump said it a bit more succinctly!

Stubbed Mon 05-Jan-15 16:17:47

Just go back on another day without the receipt

waithorse Mon 05-Jan-15 16:20:54

YABU

mrsfarquhar Mon 05-Jan-15 16:22:16

YABU and petty. Its not logical at all for the shop to exchange items for things of a higher value than was paid. You are essentially asking them to give you £3.20 so gracefully walk away and return without the receipt if it means so much to you.

Nicknacky Mon 05-Jan-15 16:23:29

In this circumstance I wouldn't expect to be able to return it then buy another with the discount applied. The discount was to the buyer who was a student and had a "perk" due to that. If they had tried to do the return on your behalf then yes, the new bag would also be reduced.

ssd Mon 05-Jan-15 16:24:36

you are so wrong here op

and the staff will be having a laugh at your meanness, why didnt you just pay the £3.20 shock

ssd Mon 05-Jan-15 16:26:12

and they'll let the other shops in the area know about your return, so if you try going elsewhere they'll be onto you

if you go in with no receipt they dont have to give you a thing, you could have stolen it for all they know

ShatnersBassoon Mon 05-Jan-15 16:35:05

and they'll let the other shops in the area know about your return, so if you try going elsewhere they'll be onto you

Highly unlikely hmm. It's no skin off their nose if op turns up at another shop without the receipt and does a straight swap. People exchange items without a receipt all the time.

ssd Mon 05-Jan-15 16:36:24

they will, its common practice, have worked in retail 20 odd years

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now