Talk

Advanced search

to be suprised that rice cakes are so lethal, 9 choked to death in Japan in last few days

(17 Posts)
haveatarday Mon 05-Jan-15 15:17:04

Just heard this on radio 4. I feed dd lots of the small organic blackcurrant ones, tbh I had no idea they are lethal.

Aibu to cut them all out?

londonrach Mon 05-Jan-15 15:19:24

I find them very dry. Reason i dont eat them as they taste of plastic. Wonder if thats the reason why or just an off batch in japan. Where you learnt this?

CuttedUpPear Mon 05-Jan-15 15:19:30

It's not the rice cakes we have here - it's a special moist, glutinous type used during a religious festival in Japan.

PseudoBadger Mon 05-Jan-15 15:19:35

Different rice cakes www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/05/nine-people-choke-to-death-eating-rice-cakes-in-japan

ChristmasPartyFRocknRollNerd Mon 05-Jan-15 15:20:11

I presume they mean mochi which is not like our puffed 'grains' rice cakes. It's a massively sticky mass and people choke on it pretty much every new year in Japan I believe...

CuttedUpPear Mon 05-Jan-15 15:20:43

Here is the report, no need for scaremongering.

www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/05/nine-people-choke-to-death-eating-rice-cakes-in-japan

exexpat Mon 05-Jan-15 15:20:49

Different kind of rice cakes. The ones people choke on in Japan are mochi - grilled glutinous rice cakes, which are extremely chewy, and it tends to be elderly people who choke on them.

slightlyglitterstained Mon 05-Jan-15 15:21:52

Are these the same kind of rice cakes though? Remember my parents buying rice cakes from a Chinese supermarket when younger that were not the dry crunchy type we think of, but smooth solid blocks, a bit like polenta but smoother. I can see someone choking on the latter, but not the former.

C0smos Mon 05-Jan-15 15:23:09

Just goggled this as my DD1 loves them, 9 people died after eating the mochi rice cakes which are completely different to ours. Apparently they are quite sticky and gooey.
I think we're fine. Having said that my DD chocked on banana last week so always a good idea to gave your first aid up to date so you know what to do.

saintlyjimjams Mon 05-Jan-15 15:26:38

Mochi is absolutely revolting - I was always surprised they were so popular.

Nothing like the dry cardboard type rice cakes

exexpat Mon 05-Jan-15 15:26:47

See this scene from Tampopo (brilliant Japanese film about food) where an old man goes against advice, eats mochi, chokes and is rescued with a vacuum cleaner - apparently this has actually been done in real life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83KgeYls7iM&spfreload=10

haveatarday Mon 05-Jan-15 15:56:33

Whoops sorry ladies, I panicked and had no idea they were totally different jobbies!

saintlyjimjams Mon 05-Jan-15 23:39:24

That scene is bonkers grin

I miss Japan :sigh:

Discopanda Tue 06-Jan-15 00:36:11

The western form of rice cakes are evil in a completely different way! Who wants to eat something that looks and tastes (I presume) like polystyrene?!

TheHermitCrab Tue 06-Jan-15 00:37:10

Rice cakes and quavers the only thing I choke on! (never to death though clearly, I'm still here)

I quite like a mochi now and then. Wouldn't give them to a child though, but I think there are warnings about that on the packaging.

TheNewStatesman Tue 06-Jan-15 02:22:03

It's funny, but you don't really get rice cakes (the polystyrene disk thing) here in Japan at all. I think I've seen them in international supermarkets.

Mochi are chewy, round and slippery, so yes a complete choking hazard. I would only give them sliced up, if I served them at all (no desire to).

Frankly, though, I think it's pretty funny that Japanese authorities make such a fuss about mochi while completely ignoring much bigger sources of danger in this country, such as lack of car seat use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now