Talk

Advanced search

to not visit MIL with DS while her dog is poorly

(18 Posts)
askyfullofstars Mon 05-Jan-15 13:21:31

MIL's dog tried to attack DS a while ago (I posted about it at the time), as a result of this the dog is always behind a baby gate in the kitchen when we visit. The dog is never very happy with this as it is.
The dog currently has a viral infection and is a bit poorly. So I feel that it would be unfair to put it in the kitchen while we visit with DS, as its poorly and I dont want to make a poorly dog any more miserable.

cathpip Mon 05-Jan-15 13:24:04

Yanbu at all, safest thing for everybody, hope your mil sees it that way too.

youareallbonkers Mon 05-Jan-15 13:24:56

As a grandmother, if my dog tried to attack my grandchild, or any child for that matter, he would be pts immediately. I would not visit at all while the dog is there, sick or well

TracyBarlow Mon 05-Jan-15 13:25:37

I'm surprised you'd even go in a house with a dog that tried to attack your son tbh. How old is your son?

askyfullofstars Mon 05-Jan-15 13:27:08

bonkers and tracybarlow I know, I hate that I do it, and have had many agonising arguments over this. My son is almost 4.
This dog is/always has been treated like a baby.

26Point2Miles Mon 05-Jan-15 13:27:40

How did it try to attack your son? Doubt a baby gate would keep any sized dog out indefinitely.

askyfullofstars Mon 05-Jan-15 13:28:13

Sorry pressed send too soon. This seems the safest compromise. The dog physically cannot get out of the room.

askyfullofstars Mon 05-Jan-15 13:33:30

DS was playing 'roll the ball' across the living room floor to his grandad. The dog was on the couch between me and DMIL. There is a small coffee table and the ball rolled under it. DS waddled between the couch and coffee table and got stuck, he reached up to the couch to pull himself up and the dog just lunged forward, mouth open. Somehow by some small miracle I saw it about to happen and reached between the two, the dogs mouth around my hand and my DS the other side, it was so close and happened so quickly. I essentially 'flung' the dog out the way while DH picked DS up and then DFIL took the dog outside.
We have argued this point so many times and this is where we are at now, the dog has now also bitten a delivery man who stuck his hand through the letterbox (the dog attacks the post when it arrives). So I wish I had said something or done something at the time.

SunnyBaudelaire Mon 05-Jan-15 13:35:36

any normal granny would have the dog PTS you know it

londonrach Mon 05-Jan-15 13:35:46

Agree but also surprised your dm kept a dog with a history of attacking a child. Pts or rehome in a house without children. But for your post agree dig is ill so not fair on him so visit when he is better. Yanbu and very fair x

askyfullofstars Mon 05-Jan-15 13:38:01

I know sunny but she wont.
Her dog is her baby.

FunkyBoldRibena Mon 05-Jan-15 13:44:51

Her dog is her baby.

No - it's a dangerous dog. Keep your actual baby away from it.

SunnyBaudelaire Mon 05-Jan-15 13:46:34

I would not go there at all in that case asky

Jodie1982 Mon 05-Jan-15 14:19:47

I wouldn't b going there at all. What if the Dog got out one day? God Forbid. And has your darling boys face off!? Prevention is better than cure. Your child is too previous to risk any sort of reaction from the Dog.

Jodie1982 Mon 05-Jan-15 14:20:19

Precious not previous

KnackeredMerrily Mon 05-Jan-15 14:24:44

The dog was going for the ball or tried to attack your son because the dog thought he was a threat and was going to take the ball?

Birdsgottafly Mon 05-Jan-15 14:34:37

Remember your original thread.

I was one of the posters who thought it was a case of the dog misinterpreting your child's actions.

Put that with the dog being spoilt etc and it was understandable, it didn't alone make the dog dangerous.

You are being very sensible and kind to the dog, by not visiting until it's well.

I personally like big dogs, I always have German Shepherds, because I think that a smaller dog (which usually has terrier in it) is going to struggle between a non child household and visiting children, to a degree.

You would get to the point of every GP who had a dog, before GC, having to have it PTS, if sensible precautions aren't put in place.

The need to understand dog behaviour, is a key factor in it working out without serious incidents.

It amazes me how many people who have dogs, have no understanding of them, or their real needs, according to breed etc.

askyfullofstars Mon 05-Jan-15 14:44:05

Its some kind of spaniel birds It very rarely gets walked (to the shop and back a few times a week – 5-10 minutes each way max), and is spoiled rotten. I often think they got it because they always have had a dog (same though, treated like a child), it was small and cute and something to cuddle, but with no real understanding of what that dog needs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now