Advanced search

To be sick of my GP going on about my weight!

(7 Posts)
ShutItDoc Mon 05-Jan-15 12:00:12

I've had to go there a lot over the last couple of months as I have been ill. Because of my illness I have pretty much lost my appetite completely and have lost a lot of weight. I am now underweight.

Now every time I go there she always wants to weigh me and then lecture me about the fact I'm underweight (like I haven't noticed) and tells me to gain weight. I've been trying but I don't really have much of an appetite yet so it's hard to eat.

I have to go back soon and I'm dreading it because I know what will happen. AIBU to refuse to be weighed because I am sick of this!

MiscellaneousAssortment Mon 05-Jan-15 12:06:00

I would tell the gp that you are fully aware of the weight loss and the health issues it may create, but you see no benefit in this constant weighing and it's putting you off going to the doctors altogether.

I'm sure they just trying to do their job well and be helpful, and it will be good to share how its making you feel so they can adjust their approach and find other ways of supporting you. For example, dietician advice about high calorie food. Putting on weight is actually incredibly hard for some people and sometimes people don't understand that.

Last question, sorry, but do you think the gp is concerned as it could be sliding into n eating disorder? Or alternatively that the weight has slid off due to a serious underlying/ undisguised condition? Cos in those cases I do understand why they 'keep going on about it' if so. However I still think you should tell them how it's making you feel, as feeling harried wont help with either scenario. Keep communication open with them, good luck

Redcherries Mon 05-Jan-15 12:48:32

I would ask to be referred to the dietician, they are great and can prescribe high calorie/fortified drinks to help balance your intake.

I hope you feel better soon.

redexpat Mon 05-Jan-15 12:52:27

Of course you can refuse. Although its good to hear that the gp is concerned, so yes i second asking for a referral to a dietician. Hope you feel brter soon thanks

WorraLiberty Mon 05-Jan-15 12:53:42

What is she doing to actually help you gain weight?

SnowyMouse Mon 05-Jan-15 12:59:44

The GP can prescribe high calorie drinks too, afaik (or they used to)

Unexpected Mon 05-Jan-15 13:44:09

Has she given you strategies for gaining weight? Suggested food/drinks/smoothies which might help? Are you actively trying to gain weight again, regardless of the fact that you have lost your appetite?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: