Talk

Advanced search

Dry January

(9 Posts)
BearFeet Mon 05-Jan-15 10:47:39

AIBU to think that if you feel like you ought to give up alcohol for a month, then you're probably drinking too much and should cut down anyway.

sherbetpips Mon 05-Jan-15 12:13:11

YABU Christmas is a time of excess of everything, not everyone overindulges in food, alchohol, shopping, but many do. Its no different than going on a diet, going to the gym, chopping up the credit card. its a change from the excess.

BearFeet Mon 05-Jan-15 12:23:50

Hadn't really thought of it like that.
A month of too much then a month of nothing. Kind of evens itself out.

I think because I'm not a big drinker it wouldn't enter my head to do it.
And previously thought that if you think you need to have a month off the booze you must drink to much in general, rather than seeing it as just a Dec/Jan thing.

Thanks for answering.

That was probably the shortest AIBU in Mumsnet history grin

5Foot5 Mon 05-Jan-15 13:12:39

I read in the paper at the weekend that it is far more effective to just have 2-3 alcolohol free days a week all year round then have a dry January

youareallbonkers Mon 05-Jan-15 13:15:01

Surely people do it for charity not because they have drunk too much?

FfingFreezin Mon 05-Jan-15 13:17:34

Yes I think you're right. I'm doing Dry Jan and that's mainly because I noticed myself binge drinking around 4 times a week. This weekend it actually felt STRANGE to me that I DIDN'T feel hungover on Sunday morning.

I feel much better for not drinking and psychologically the very fact that I can just stop whenever I want reassures me that I'm not a full blown alcoholic yet lol

Bowlersarm Mon 05-Jan-15 13:17:40

Yes I think the problem is that people use Dry January to make amends for drinking excessively or every day for the rest of the year, and after stopping for 4 weeks go back to their over drinking for the remaining 11 months. And that is why medics question it.

A lot of people use it as a way to kick start better alcohol habits, with the intention of cutting back to sensible levels after dry January is finished.

FfingFreezin Mon 05-Jan-15 13:20:36

I intend to cut back dramatically after Jan too. Previously (before dry jan) I was drinking heavily every Friday and Saturday night. Then it became every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. That became every Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday night ... I could see a dark path ahead that I did not want to keep treading.

So after Dry January I intend to cut back my drinking to one half bottle of wine on a friday night, same Saturday night and that's it.

vinegarandbrownpaper Sun 11-Jan-15 15:34:31

So how is it going? I have had zero alc. and feels ok!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now