Talk

Advanced search

to think my relative should not

(16 Posts)
Lemon666 Sun 04-Jan-15 19:46:53

be driving a car when they are still completely non weight-bearing and on crutches with a broken right leg?

joanne1947 Sun 04-Jan-15 20:04:49

Loads to consider. Is it an automatic? In that case one leg is fine. How experienced is the driver? Let's not judge too quickly.
I can drive with one leg, not easy but I can manage it but I have driven loads of different vehicles.
Does the relative need to drive or be trapped at home?
Is it safe? AFAIK the DVLA do not have a rule to stop your relative driving.

Lemon666 Sun 04-Jan-15 20:07:20

It's a manual.

addicted2cake Sun 04-Jan-15 20:13:33

I would imagine that they wouldn't be insured if they are non-weight bearing and they would have been advised not to drive by the medical team looking after them. Bet they couldn't do an emergency stop if they needed to and if they did would possibly damage their leg even further. Do all of us road users a favour and make them see sense now!

Lemon666 Sun 04-Jan-15 20:17:47

I will talk to DGM who may be able to talk sense into him.

Iamrandom Sun 04-Jan-15 20:26:05

The DVLA don't need to know but the insurance company must be informed as insurance may be invalidated unless they are happy to continue insuring. This is a Welsh nhs advice leaflet about driving after injury but I can't see anything that doesn't apply elsewhere. www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/866/opendoc/224162

Lemon666 Sun 04-Jan-15 20:42:31

Random that is excellent info. Thank you for all the replies. He cannot put any weight on his foot and if he tries to flex his ankle back and forward he cannot do it due to intense pain and swelling. He takes very strong painkillers too sad

ddubsgirl77 Sun 04-Jan-15 20:46:18

Report to police! His insurance will be invalid

Iamrandom Sun 04-Jan-15 20:50:20

No problems, hope it helps.

FryOneFatManic Sun 04-Jan-15 20:51:21

He shouldn't be driving, especially as it's the right leg. He needs to wait until he's given the all clear from doctors.

Lemon666 Sun 04-Jan-15 20:53:28

He relies on his car for his job and his job could be affected if I reported him. I have just come off the phone from DGM and apparently the consultant has said he can drive now if he can manage an emergency stop and he says he can.
I don't know what to think anymore.

dalekanium Sun 04-Jan-15 20:57:47

Wh have big signs up all over out A and E that you WILL not be insured to drive after many injuries and MUST CHEck with your insurers.

I was surprised at how many things are considered a problem

dalekanium Sun 04-Jan-15 20:59:57

Oh and the painkillers will probably invalidate his insurance too...

Or at least give the insurers room to wriggle out of paying up if he does claim. Not to mention drug driving charges if he does have a collision.

Birdsgottafly Sun 04-Jan-15 21:02:01

It might be the pain killers that would stop him from being insured, tbh.

My ex DP had his ligaments operated on, couldn't return to work, wear his work boots, was on crutches etc, but it amazed me that he was given the OK to drive, if he didn't need pain killers.

We went on a long haul holiday and he could swim/snorkel but not dive.

Is he only driving to work and being really careful?

I would tell him that, unless he stops driving, you will report him. Just think how you'd feel if he had an accident and hurt himself, or some innocent motorist or pedestrian because he couldn't do an emergency stop properly. Plus, if he did have an accident, whilst injured, and maybe whilst under the influence of painkillers, he could lose his licence, and that would bugger up,his life much more than having to use taxis for a few weeks.

This would give him the opportunity to do the right thing - hopefully he would take it.

mrssmith79 Sun 04-Jan-15 21:22:34

Have you witnessed unsafe driving by him? More to the point, is he a renowned liar? If not, I'd go with what your DGM has told you and beak out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now