Talk

Advanced search

To think they should have cancelled the party???

(22 Posts)
BabyHaribo Sun 04-Jan-15 19:30:28

Been at friends DSs 4th party this afternoon.

Kids going mad bouncy castle etc birthday boy looked a little peaky.

I knew friend had been unwell after Christmas but she told me she was 'still on the Imodium and DS had runny bum yesterday. He was also sick in the morning!'

Tummy bugs are SO contagious I know it would have been a shame to cancel party but we will probably all be ill nowhmm

AIBU? I'm emetophobic so maybe that's clouding my judgement!

Mammanat222 Sun 04-Jan-15 19:32:19

I'd feel the same way. And I am also emetophobic (albeit mildly)

Lets see what others think

Metalguru Sun 04-Jan-15 19:34:46

Not on, at the very least all parents should have been told so they could have made an informed decision.

LIZS Sun 04-Jan-15 19:35:27

Yanbu, last thing you need spreading.

cardibach Sun 04-Jan-15 19:36:51

She shouldn't still be on Imodium if it was just after Christmas...
Although it being potentially more serious doesn't solve your problem!

UnalignedAnt Sun 04-Jan-15 19:37:11

Party should have been cancelled. YANBU.

Only1scoop Sun 04-Jan-15 19:37:52

Yanbu

I'd have left

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Sun 04-Jan-15 19:38:29

I would have cancelled.

cubedmelon Sun 04-Jan-15 19:38:34

YANBU

jonrotten Sun 04-Jan-15 19:39:46

Oh that really bad form. I hope your family don't come down with it.

I've been in that situation twice with my dc and have cancelled and had a small event at home a week or so after.

storminabuttercup Sun 04-Jan-15 19:39:56

Totally should have cancelled! That's a bunch of 4 year olds likely to be ill for the first day back at school! What if one has reduced immunity? Stupid people!

AnneOfCleavage Sun 04-Jan-15 19:40:24

This happened to my DD. She woke on the morning of her party fine but had a mini vomit bout (think half a teaspoon) an hour later. I cancelled her party (also had booked bouncy castle) as I had no idea how she was going to be later on and she obviously had a germy virus. She wasn't sick again but it was so the right thing to do as it's just common sense imo.#

We had to rebook her whole party again and luckily most of the guests were able to make it a week later.

Yadnbu.

WannaBe Sun 04-Jan-15 19:42:12

the child was sick yesterday morning and the party was this afternoon, so there's been a 36 hour window since the child was sick. The fact the mum was ill just after christmas irrelevant IMO as that was over a week ago.

tbh no I wouldn't have cancelled.

WannaBe Sun 04-Jan-15 19:44:35

if he'd been sick on the morning of the party I would have cancelled but not the day before, and sounds as if he was only sick once...?

BabyHaribo Sun 04-Jan-15 19:45:55

No wannabe it was this morning confused

Glad you lot don't think I'm being U but now totally panicking about all being ill.

DS didn't have much to do with birthday boy so fingers crossed

crumblebumblebee Sun 04-Jan-15 19:48:29

YANBU and slightly off topic but I hate the term 'runny bum'. It makes me feel queasy. blush

OOAOML Sun 04-Jan-15 20:23:59

Think they should have cancelled. Did they do food themselves? People with sick bugs should keep them to themselves. If it gets round a nursery or school then lots of people are going to end up suffering.

Greencurtain Sun 04-Jan-15 20:40:00

Dirty. Can't stand people spreading germs everywhere. My mum is a cancer patient and I would be absolutely furious if we unwittingly attended a party with the dc when the hosting household were knowingly not clear of a D&V bug.

But agree with above poster - runny bum is an awful phrase. Diahorrea or even the shits much better.

WannaBe Sun 04-Jan-15 20:46:15

ah ok in which case then yes they should have cancelled.

marne2 Sun 04-Jan-15 20:52:02

YANBU, I'm a Emetophobe too, a few years ago my dd's were invited to a party, the birthday girls sister had been sick a few days before and the day before the birthday girl was sick, her mother went ahead with the party, the morning of the party the mother started being sick but she still went ahead in the afternoon, she prepared all the food the night before. Most of the children that went were vomiting the next day. Luckily I gad seen the mothers fb status that morning and I didn't take my dd's.

newyearsresolutionsnotforme Sun 04-Jan-15 21:03:42

YANBU unless they know it was very mild food poisoning rather then a bug. I still went to work the day after I finished having severe diarrhoea caused by food poisoning, I knew for sure it was food poisoning (which lasted two damn days!) because over ten other people who ate the same dish got it and the restaurant was briefly closed.

If you can't be certain it's not that-especially with multiple family members having it- you should stay inside.

There's some funky stomach bug going around at the moment, it isn't anywhere near as contagious as Noro though which is a good thing but lasts for longer.

nocoolnamesleft Mon 05-Jan-15 01:03:44

Should have cancelled. These things are just so bloody infectious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now