Talk

Advanced search

to think I have tonsilitis?

(32 Posts)
marioluigi Sun 04-Jan-15 16:02:39

Can you tell the difference between this and a "normal" sore throat?
Got ill last night, my ears were killing me, they got worse as the evening progressed to the point I had to go home from the meal we were at.
Woken today and they're still bad but also I have a sore throat.
Lemsip is helping but it's not going away.
When I was a child I had numerous bouts of tonsilitis and this reminds me of them due to the inflammation and mucus But I'm 35 and haven't had it since I was 15 so I don't know whether I'm overreacting.
Main reason is I'm a teacher and need to go to work on Tuesday so if I need anti bs I must must get myself to the Dr tomorrow rather than risk another day suffering.
So can you tell the difference?!

TheSpottedZebra Sun 04-Jan-15 16:06:26

Tonsillitis just means inflammation of the tonsils. It's not a measure of its severity or pain level.

So on balance, YABU.

hiddenhome Sun 04-Jan-15 16:07:52

Tonsillitis is a sore throat.

Just continue with the Lemsips and perhaps gargle with some warm, salty water.

Lucyandpoppy Sun 04-Jan-15 16:09:29

If you look in the mirror with a flashlight you should be able to see if the tonsils are inflammed/red/pus filled. You could go to the GP and see what they suggest, generally if it is tonsillitus they may not prescribe antibiotics as it can be viral so antibiotics would be useless anyway. But worth getting it checked and seeing what the dr thinks

Knottyknitter Sun 04-Jan-15 16:09:43

What do your tonsils look like?
do you have lymph glands in neck?
What's your temperature?

Probably viral, as most are, but see Gp if not settling.

marioluigi Sun 04-Jan-15 16:10:24

Why on earth did I think it required anti biotics!? Think I've muddled my childhood, I suffered a lot from it and had frequent ear infections so was always on some medicine.

TheSpottedZebra Sun 04-Jan-15 16:12:09

Is it possible that you have a cold?

arlagirl Sun 04-Jan-15 16:13:07

Dd gets it every ten weeks...tonsils out this year

gatewalker Sun 04-Jan-15 16:14:38

I'd suggest going to the GP if there are white spots on your tonsils and you have a fever. Otherwise, it is usually just a sore throat.

SackAndCrack Sun 04-Jan-15 16:17:19

An infection of the tonsils does need anti bs. Are they pus filled?

If its just stuck white bits then its viral.

ephemeralfairy Sun 04-Jan-15 16:28:20

Tonsillitis is a lot more than a sore throat! It can be either bacterial or viral, the bacterial kind is treatable with antibiotics.
I've had it a lot, and my tonsils are enormous, very painful and covered in blisters and on top of that I get flu-like symptoms: raised temp, aching joints, headache, exhaustion etc. The last time the antibiotics didn't touch it so doc prescribed steroids to bring down the swelling.
Full-blown tonsillitis is utter misery so if you feel worse tomorrow or you get blisters on your tonsils get to the doc asap!

Silvercatowner Sun 04-Jan-15 16:28:58

A bacterial infection may clear up more quickly with ABs (but doesn't necessarily need them). A viral infection does not need ABs.

Purplepoodle Sun 04-Jan-15 16:39:49

I usually feel like I'm going to die with tonsillitis. I can't drink anything, even swallowing saliva made me burst into tears. I have to force myself to drink and it's horrendous. Not to mention the fever, swollen glands

Purplepoodle Sun 04-Jan-15 16:40:21

Tbf mine usually turn out to be strep throat

SistersOfPercy Sun 04-Jan-15 16:42:42

When DH had tonsillitis for the first time last year I genuinely thought he'd be admitted into hospital. I had to put him in the car and take him to the emergency GP. He literally couldn't move, his temperature was through the roof, he was delirious and talking utter nonsense, he'd slept for 2 days prior to me insisting he see a Doctor. I have never seen him so ill in the 21 years we've been together. They gave him antibiotics straight away.

He was out of it for a week or more and altogether it took a month to get him back to normal. Thankfully he's never had it again.

TheChristmasTreeFairy Sun 04-Jan-15 17:25:04

Tonsillitis is much more that a sore throat, and it makes my voice croaky too, I've had nurses at my doctors surgery agree I need to be seen just from the sound of my voice. I agree with whoever says swallowing anything, even saliva is awful, I know when I'd rather spit my saliva out I've got tonsillitis.
I get it a couple of times a year, and always need antibiotics to get rid of it.

There is a nasty virus going around at the moment which can mimic tonsillitis to start with before becoming a heavy cold. I had it just before Christmas and thought I was going down with tonsillitis again, my throat didn't get bad enough though although I did feel pretty feverish and rubbish

dustyovaries Sun 04-Jan-15 17:31:02

Just make an appointment and they should be able to swab your throat to tell if it's viral or bacterial.

orangefusion Sun 04-Jan-15 17:51:05

Do you have fever?
Do you have swelling in your neck?
Are you having problems breathing?
Is the pain severe?

Severe sore throats should be treated seriously. If you have sore throat with fever and swelling you should see the doctor in the morning.

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Epiglottitis/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

Sorry- I dont want to scare but this happened to my friend at the start of December- she had a sore throat and it went from there.

marioluigi Sun 04-Jan-15 18:06:53

No I don't think it's anything that serious. I just got up to see how I felt - pretty bad but I was able to do it took me five minutes to get my jumper on first though
thanks guys, I'll sleep on it, if I'm no better I'll pop to drs tomorrow.

Tyzer85 Sun 04-Jan-15 18:11:32

When I've had tonsilitis I felt like death itself, I felt like I was swallowing several razor blades, I have a fever, I'm sweating nonstop and I cannot eat anything, not even ice cream.

It is much more than just a sore throat.

crazykat Sun 04-Jan-15 22:56:12

For me there is a big difference between a sore throat that goes with a cold and one that needs antibiotics.

I've needed antibiotics three times for my throat as an adult, even swallowing saliva felt like razor blades even with cocodamol and ibuprofen and eating was impossible.

The gp said my throat was very red but my tonsils weren't too swollen so to see how it goes for a few days, until I asked what tonsils, they were removed when I was three. The gp quickly back tracked and I was on penicillin for two weeks to clear the infection.

You may need antibiotics or you may have the horrible virus going round that gives fever, sore throat, pounding head, earache and generally feeling like you've been hit by a truck. If it hurts so bad you can't swallow water then I'd go to the gp, if not I'd rest as much as possible and take paracetamol and ibuprofen.

PrimalLass Sun 04-Jan-15 23:02:08

When I had tonsillitis I couldn't lift my head off the pillow without crying. I cried on the phone to NHS 24. Therefore, if you can post on MN I would say you probably don't.

I have never, ever felt so ill. And I've had glandular fever.

GingerCuddleMonster Sun 04-Jan-15 23:17:28

I get tonsalitus all the time sad my tonsils go white and pussy I have a banging headache and run a fever, but I never take antibiotics for it, I don't even bother going to the gp anymore, I gargle with TCP pop some paracetamol and some pro plus and manage the best I can, takes about 4 days to clear from white pussy tonsils to sore throat.

hauntedhenry Sun 04-Jan-15 23:37:08

I've just had tonsilitis, I've been really ill. High fever, unable to swallow, delirious. I haven't been so ill in years sad. The doctor gave me antibiotics and ibuprofen, but it took about 5 days to clear up.

Topseyt Sun 04-Jan-15 23:41:56

Tonsillitis is no ordinary sore throat. I couldn't even swallow water or saliva, and the top of my throat was swelling up enough to make breathing difficult. My temperature was also through the roof.

I never had it as a child, but as an adult I did. I got quinsy several times, where the tonsils form abscesses which can cause airway obstruction and other problems. I was admitted to hospital with it, and at the age of 37 I decided to have my tonsils removed. Best decision I ever made. It was 10 years ago now, and I have had no further throat trouble since then.

I would say to anyone who might have tonsillitis to visit their GP. It can need an eye kept on it, at least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now