Talk

Advanced search

To despair at potty training my 3-year-old?

(22 Posts)
Loletta Sun 04-Jan-15 15:37:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lifelorn Sun 04-Jan-15 15:49:01

My DS was the same as apparently warm poo feels nice! I delayed changing him a little until he was asking to be changed. Let him realise he will have to wait, until you have pegged out washing or changed beds or any other sign to let him know you are a little busy. As it cools he will feel less comfortable. Good luck!

Loletta Sun 04-Jan-15 15:52:35

Horsemad Sun 04-Jan-15 16:10:24

How do you feel about bribery? When my DS potty trained, I left him until he was 3 as a couple of earlier attempts didn't work.

I used Smarties as a reward - 1 for a wee and 2 for a poo!

He quickly grasped the idea and was fine. Used the same method for DS2 and both trained within a couple of days.

Loletta Sun 04-Jan-15 16:19:50

fhdl34 Sun 04-Jan-15 16:22:56

We are having the same issue with DD, wees are fine but "poo says no to the potty!". We've stopped for a bit and will restart, really want to avoid bribery if possible

IMurderedStampyLongnose Sun 04-Jan-15 16:23:25

My 3uo ds also didn't care about poop in his pants.I did the whole leaving him in it malarkey and what do you know-no more uncomfortable poops in pants!Good luck,it's a pain doing potty training.

SackAndCrack Sun 04-Jan-15 16:24:34

He isn't ready. Simple. Honestly.

tumbletumble Sun 04-Jan-15 16:25:02

DS2 was the same. I persevered and he got the hang of it in the end. I think his first poo in the potty was on day 10 of potty training!

Callaird Sun 04-Jan-15 16:28:10

I agree with bribery, as a nanny of 28 years, I've potty trained dozens of children. Some get it straight away, some need a little persuading! If you don't agree with sweets, try pebbles/golf balls/ping pong balls/marbles/anything really, in a couple plastic jars, when he does a poo in the potty/toilet, he gets to move an item from one jar to another, stick a photo on the front of one and when he gets 6 (or however many) he gets to go to the shop to choose a magazine, cheap book, small toy, whatever he asks for a lot.

A star chart works wonders!

You could even use screen time as a treat if you restrict it. One poo equals one episode of peppa pig, fireman Sam, etc. but that may be tricky if you are very busy unless you can offer it in the car, on the bus.

Good luck!

youbethemummylion Sun 04-Jan-15 16:30:02

Could you try a potty seat straight over the toilet I've known children take to this who haven't liked to poo in the potty for some reason.

NotSayingImBatman Sun 04-Jan-15 16:33:45

I'm toilet training DS - 3 yesterday - as well. We're on day four and he hasn't pooed in the toilet once.

SackAndCrack, I really don't think every child just clicks immediately when they're "ready". Some have to be pushed into it.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 04-Jan-15 16:37:45

We had a bowl of m&ms. One for a wee, two for a poo.

Its pretty new this "wait til they are ready" approach. Back when I was growing up it was "toilet trained otherwise pre school wont take them" - so people trained their LOs by three. No leaving them "til they were ready"

Loletta Sun 04-Jan-15 16:48:16

Loletta Sun 04-Jan-15 16:53:44

brokenhearted55a Sun 04-Jan-15 16:58:09

CurlyWuurly Sun 04-Jan-15 17:01:11

Well I left my daughter until she was 3.5 to potty train. Went straight on the toilet and only had one wee accident. However, would never contemplate poo on the toilet. Tried leaving her but she was far too distressed. Now, finally, after months of mentioning it, she has pooed on the loo 3 days in a row and we bought her a new Pony from the bear factory. Leaving it to her timetable suited us, I also have an almost 3 year old so it's pretty busy around here! So hang in there, I'm sure he'll figure it out smile

MewlingQuim Sun 04-Jan-15 17:10:00

A sticker charts and rewards worked for DD. I think maybe you just need to find the right sort of reward if he isn't bothered about earning chocolate buttons etc.

Or maybe put stickers on for 'in the potty' and take them off for 'in the pants'? This approach also works for DD as she loves to see all the stickers on her chart, if I suggest taking one off for e.g. bad behaviour she will go "NOOOOOO!" grin

Would nursery join in with a sticker chart? Mine did. They were ok about accidents, but you could always try pull ups if yours won't be happy with pants. If he is ok with wee you might still get away with pants if he doesn't poo more than twice a day.

Loletta Sun 04-Jan-15 17:15:21

Loletta Sun 04-Jan-15 17:20:47

minibmw2010 Sun 04-Jan-15 17:33:05

In exactly the same boat with my 3 year old, huge sympathies ��

TeddyBee Sun 04-Jan-15 18:20:58

We kept DS naked from the waist down at home for a few months before we officially potty trained him - potty training then just involved persuading him to keep his trousers on! He almost never had accidents if naked, and was happy to poo in the potty but we didn't train him properly until he was nearly 3.5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now