Talk

Advanced search

To ask what's the beef with benefits?

(632 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

mytartanscarf Sun 04-Jan-15 14:33:34

Do people think they are too little? That they should be more?

There's always a lot of upset on here about them - about how wrong the government are and how awful life is on benefits. I've never been on benefits so obviously can't judge. But what are the solutions?

I suppose I am asking what should the government do?

Cantbelievethisishappening Sun 04-Jan-15 14:34:43

Oh FFS... really???? hmm
biscuit

EatShitDerek Sun 04-Jan-15 14:36:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PumpkinPie2013 Sun 04-Jan-15 14:36:59

This won’t end well OP biscuit

WorraLiberty Sun 04-Jan-15 14:37:11

Mmmm...beef.

Jumblebee Sun 04-Jan-15 14:38:15

I read that as the benefits of beef, my first was "it's yummy!"

Cantbelievethisishappening Sun 04-Jan-15 14:38:20

grin Worra

26Point2Miles Sun 04-Jan-15 14:38:37

People had an opinion well before ch 4/5 started making programmes about them!!

ineedtogetthisout Sun 04-Jan-15 14:39:01

I can't afford beef because I'm on benefits, its turkey twizzlers all the way in this house.

OmnipotentQueenOfTheUniverse Sun 04-Jan-15 14:39:31

The upset around benefits is usually to do with people saying that others shouldn't have them / they should be less. On MN and elsewhere.

So I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that you did, about what the "beef" with benefits is.

WorraLiberty Sun 04-Jan-15 14:39:47

How about roast goat?

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 04-Jan-15 14:41:15

The beef with benefits is that claimants are treated worse than criminals. And I say that as someone who has never had to claim benefits.
HTH

DaisyFlowerChain Sun 04-Jan-15 14:42:06

They are far too high and the system is broken. It's no longer a welfare state for most claimants but a lifestyle choice.

If it returned to a true welfare system, there would be more money for more important things.

You don't need to see TV shows to realise what a mess the system has become.

Dawndonnaagain Sun 04-Jan-15 14:42:32

Get your hands of my goat Worra!

Dawndonnaagain Sun 04-Jan-15 14:43:17

Daisy
DFOD, there's a good girl.

EatShitDerek Sun 04-Jan-15 14:43:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cantbelievethisishappening Sun 04-Jan-15 14:43:40

They are far too high and the system is broken. It's no longer a welfare state for most claimants but a lifestyle choice.

Nothing like a sweeping generalisation to get the party started.

KoalaDownUnder Sun 04-Jan-15 14:45:28

What the government should do? About what??

Could you be a bit more specific? I mean, surely everything a government spends public money on (benefits, healthcare, education) attracts some controversy. That's why there are multiple political parties. But what exactly asking about?

WorraLiberty Sun 04-Jan-15 14:45:29

I can't Dawn, he's eaten the remote to my 50" plasma.

If you think I'm hauling my arse off the sofa to change channels manually, you must be mad.

How the hell am I supposed to watch Jeremy Kyle now? hmm

Cantbelievethisishappening Sun 04-Jan-15 14:47:10

Worra... can't you get one of your ten children to change it for you?

WorraLiberty Sun 04-Jan-15 14:48:28

Oh that's handy.

Instead of explaining to the OP how the 'beef' normally comes from ill informed, ignorant fools who believe all the shit on TV...all we need to do is point her in the direction of DaisyFlowerChain's post.

Job done

balia Sun 04-Jan-15 14:49:02

The upset is created by those in power who want to distract the attention of the majority away from the huge inequality and basic unfairness of life in our society. To take our minds off tax dodgers and companies who don't pay a living wage, to get us to focus our energies on the very weakest and most vulnerable in society because they have no means by which to defend themselves.

HTH

WorraLiberty Sun 04-Jan-15 14:49:57

Cantbelievethisishappening, how am I supposed to get them off of their smart phones and ipads??

<< Tuts >>

RonaldMcDonald Sun 04-Jan-15 14:50:29

Er
Maybe we should give beef with benefits but what would we do for the pescatarians vegans vegetarians and all religions and other animal farmers in someway discriminated by its provision?

Cantbelievethisishappening Sun 04-Jan-15 14:50:31

balia Yep.... nothing like a bit of divide and rule.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now