Talk

Advanced search

To wonder about clubs

(7 Posts)
wiendanddined Sun 04-Jan-15 12:50:20

I am a bit lonely (no children) and everyone always suggests you join clubs to meet people

What clubs? Can anyone seriously make some suggestions - I don't know any clubs?

Only1scoop Sun 04-Jan-15 12:53:09

What interests do you have? Or maybe up for some new ones....?

I joined a walking club some years ago ....always loved walking and I really enjoyed the social side.

wonkylegs Sun 04-Jan-15 12:57:50

Look at your local resources - in our village we have a community centre with all sorts on. I met loads of people by joining the committee of the community centre when we moved here a year ago.
Your local library often has stuff advertised, otherwise notice boards in the newsagents, parish notice boards, pubs etc. Try your local council / parish magazine. If you have a specific interest try googling clubs for it in your area (photography, painting, history, fitness, cookery etc)
Go to your local college & see if they do adult education classes.
You have to go out & look what's going on in your area, there is rarely one place where stuff is all advertised.
Volunteer with PTA, kids clubs, scouts etc - good way to meet people & be helpful.

Cornettoninja Sun 04-Jan-15 13:10:14

What's the wi in your area like? Some of them have made a real effort to update their image lately so it's worth checking the local web site out. There is a 'younger' equivalent that I can't quite remember the name of. There's also stuff like spice uk.

I sympathise op. I'm in the same position recently moved to a small town. We're in the commuter belt by London but not really close enough for a social life based there and stuffs expensive. I'm also not in anyway sporty so a lot of clubs just don't do it for me tbh.

I'm exploring volunteering opportunities as a way of filling a bit of time really, but even those are hard to fit round a full time job... I knew a woman who did a fair bit for the brownies and really enjoyed it.

ApocalypseThen Sun 04-Jan-15 13:25:35

There may be a running club locally, they tend to be very friendly and inexpensive, if that's a consideration.

wiendanddined Sun 04-Jan-15 13:26:18

Oh god I can't run haha. It's difficult as I live in a small town and there's not much on!

wheresthelight Sun 04-Jan-15 18:52:35

what about volunteering for something like scouting or guiding or St John? or what about looking into your local adult education centre for some courses that might interest you. when I lived in Kent I got bored rigid as it was a place I had never loved miles from everyone I knew so signed up to an evening class and made some fantastic friends

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: